GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe or Cat-back Exhaust

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a stock Golf R 7.5, which I like a great deal.......but, the only thing I really miss, is a nice exhaust note. I think these cars come with an exhaust that is too quiet, from factory. With Black Friday sales coming soon, thinking I can change that.

I like the sound of a few aftermarket cat-backs. The AWE, APR and Remus sound nice, but both pricey, compared to a catted downpipe. I was thinking IE catted downpipe, removing resonator, and keeping stock muffler in place. Would this option sound good? Throaty?

For the price of IE downpipe, I could get a JB4, and still be cheaper than aftermarket cat-backs. Yes, I would like the extra HP from this set-up, but how would the exhaust sound? Would it sound close to AWE or Remus exhaust note?

Any thoughts from guys who have or heard this set-up?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
love my remus with stock downpipe, great sales from extremePH on black friday heres a couple vids of mine
on our cars the catback makes the biggest sound difference than the DP unless you go catless

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Downpipe single handedly is best over all. Don't just consider IE....

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Well, if sound is all you're concerned about.... I've heard AWE track is pretty loud

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Toni, your Remus sounds awsum! Sounds really throaty. I love the sound, but pricey once you add tips, compared to AWE Track.

Not sure if I really need a valved system? I would tend to think, I would be running in open position all the time? I'm middle aged, but like some noise........and the stock exhaust is wisper quiet. Don't think I would miss that??

The AWE Track is much more affordable, and sounds nice as well on videos. Hard to be objective when watching videos, as there are soooo many sound variables, and I've never heard a performance exhaust live. Makes purchasing difficult when exhaust systems are pricy, and one has to take a big gamble.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
Toni, your Remus sounds awsum! Sounds really throaty. I love the sound, but pricey once you add tips, compared to AWE Track.

Not sure if I really need a valved system? I would tend to think, I would be running in open position all the time? I'm middle aged, but like some noise........and the stock exhaust is wisper quiet. Don't think I would miss that??

The AWE Track is much more affordable, and sounds nice as well on videos. Hard to be objective when watching videos, as there are soooo many sound variables, and I've never heard a performance exhaust live. Makes purchasing difficult when exhaust systems are pricy, and one has to take a big gamble.
I paid 1451 dollars for the exhaust and 98mm race tips. They had a killer deal on Black Friday. But I had to go with valves. I love having the ability to open and close them ( using AWE remote) so I can keep it low key when I want too. Both awe and Remus are excellent choices. Mine simply came to price. At the time the same AWE valves was I think $1575 so I went with Remus. I have heard both in person and both sound great.

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
I paid 1451 dollars for the exhaust and 98mm race tips. They had a killer deal on Black Friday. But I had to go with valves. I love having the ability to open and close them ( using AWE remote) so I can keep it low key when I want too. Both awe and Remus are excellent choices. Mine simply came to price. At the time the same AWE valves was I think $1575 so I went with Remus. I have heard both in person and both sound great.
Wow! That is a good price. If I can get similar pricing, I'd be sold, as your exhaust sounds terrific. Hope we get some good deals coming soon!

Thanks for the advice, and info.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
If you plan to do a tune on your car get a downpipe and do a stage 2 tune. Milltek makes the best one available. I got their downpipe that has a HJS cat and ceramic coated from the factory. No CEL, but I did get a EPC for overboost. A stage 2 tune solved that minor issue and gave a great bump in power too ?

If you have no plans for a tune get a catback ?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I have the APR valved setup, and I like it. It’s not loud, per se, but it’s loud enough.

vwlotech

Go Kart Newbie
x2 extremely satified with the APR valved turbo back system, no drone, just a healthy little growl with the valves open, but get on in a spirited manor and you'll know you've had some exhaust work done

beflythis

Passed Driver's Ed
I did a ton of audio research on my S3 build (stage 3+ with APR) and was opting for either Remus (big budget) or billy boat (the dark horse of MQB exhaust but 3" all the way through and sounds brilliant). WIth the APR catted and res'd downpipe and billy boat exhaust, I got TONS of compliments on the throatiness of the car. Sounded great.

Evolved

Car(s)
124 Abarth 6MT
I just got a Remus Catback (no res) and IE Downpipe installed. Originally I wanted to go with resonated but Remus just sold out of the resonated mid pipes in the USA. I was a little worried it would be too loud with no resonators at all but I was extremely surprised how quiet it is with the valves closed.

The key is to get the AWE Remote to control the valves cause by default they open/close based on rpm so even in Normal mode the exhaust could get loud. But with the AWE Remote full control of sound and it's perfect! Closed it's honestly super quiet in the cabin. Open it's a whole different beast.

And I do recommend the IE downpipe as well. I heard great things about it so I picked one up myself. It's cast so that will also help give a better tone and keep the tiny/raspy sound under control a bit more.

As mentioned above you could get the Remus for a really good price ($1,450 shipped for the cheapest set up, depends on deals/time of year I guess too though). Just reach out directly to Mike at RemusUSA and he will hook you up. From my understanding anyone else who sells Remus it goes through RemusUSA anyway so by going direct you get the best price.

I was able to shoot a quick video last week and I tried to go really in-depth on all the different sounds/modes. Made this new YouTube channel to post it on so feel free to subscribe if you're interested. Hope the vid helps anyone thinking about getting the Remus :) Enjoy!

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie
I got DP(catted) installed with the OEM stock exhaust, and my soundaktor is off. The exhaust sound is slightly louder in eco and normal. The race mode is similar to the soundakto 100% on.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Summit racing's got the APR valved exhaust at 1600 bucks no tax with coupon. I was holding fort till it hit the mid 1500's... so I bit. If you dont plan on Stage II for warranty or peace of mind, go exhaust!