GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe or Cat-back Exhaust

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have a heavily modded Alltrack, IE downpipe was installed first. It was slightly louder, a little raspier. Then went with Techtonics cat back. Way too old, awful drone. I added another resonator and it has toned it down, BUT if I were to do again, downpipe only. Any CBE doesn’t really add power the way a downpipe does. If you could see the factory downpipe out of the car compared to an IE or APR pipe you would change the downpipe first!!!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I run a Borla catback on my Golf-R. It sounds pretty wild, but not loud. I'm an older guy myself and don't like loud.

The fitment is not perfect, but with some fiddling around, I got the tips to align pretty well with the valance cutouts. I painted the canister and tips black for a nice clean look.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I just installed a Milltek Non-Res catback (I have a Milltek catted downpipe as well). Cold starts are sublime. WOT shifts let out a nice snap not quite a fart like you'd get with the DSG. But it still sounds great.

The downside is that it's definitely LOUD on partial throttle above 70mph (2500rpm or higher).

One of the two valves is frozen open so that definitely has alot to do with the loudness. Working on getting it warrantied from Milltek now.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I have a catless downpipe and the stock cat back. Cold starts sound good but once the car is warm it’s quiet. My downpipe only Gti was a muscle car compared to this thing. My buddy has the s3 resonator delete on his 16 R with an apr downpipe and stock cat back, I like it. Throaty but not too loud in the car.