GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe options for 1.8 TSI golf

Hotsky

Ready to race!
Been doing some research on the subject as a possible next mod. Noticed most DPs are for 2.0L engine and also saw a few threads back from few years ago which might leave out newer options...

Two requirements tho 1) it would need to have a cat so it doesn't trigger CEL also 2)would not want to drop a fortune so would need to be reasonably priced.

Last edited:

jforce

I have a USP Catted downpipe for my 1.8T.

My experience with it after about 2 years is that it performs really well for the price, I think it was around $500. However, the fitment was a bit awry but once I got it on, it's been solid.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Are you going to tune your car to run with the DP? If not, you will have to work out how to prevent a CEL which is part of what a Stage 2 tunes typically take care of...these in-turn can cause other emissions test issues (readiness) as the tunes for the DPs typically eliminate the CEL by messing with the O2 sensor. I have the Unitronic DP - fit is perfect, sounds nearly stock, some odor (not in the car) but that is expected with a higher-flow cat and removal of one of the cats over stock. I run mine with a Stage 2 tune (Unitronic) as well as the IS20 turbo. I do not have to deal with emissions testing. There are other ways to deal with running a DP without a tune (O2 sensor spacer) to get rid of the CEL. Some of the cheaper DPs do not have the fitment and/or bracket to mount it to the engine block which can also be an issue.

Hotsky

Ready to race!
Mine is a FWD golf. Having looked into which turbo it has. Actually just found our out that Ontario canceled emissions testing last year thank God lol. As for tuning i probably wont go stage 2 (maybeee stage 1)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If you're not going stage 2 there is no reason to get an aftermarket down pipe. It won't really give you anything without the proper software (also if there are no emissions testing where you live there are zero reasons to not go stage 2 vs. stage 1 if you have a downpipe).

Hotsky

Ready to race!
I would like a bit more of exhaust note for sure: but i was under impression that you still get a noticeable gain ~20hp with the DP as well as improved throttle response. Is that what's not expected?
Also my last car i got off lease as 4 years years old and kept for 11 years so would like to be able to do the same if i choose to do so and i have a feeling stage 2 is not gonna last that long lol.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I would like a bit more of exhaust note for sure: but i was under impression that you still get a noticeable gain ~20hp with the DP as well as improved throttle response. Is that what's not expected?
Also my last car i got off lease as 4 years years old and kept for 11 years so would like to be able to do the same if i choose to do so and i have a feeling stage 2 is not gonna last that long lol.

That only happens when you have the proper software. With unchanged software you might see a very slight improvement (<5-10hp), but it will be basically negligible. If you're just going for exhaust note, changing your catback (resonator delete, muffler change, or full shebang) will be the cheaper way to go. Nobody has had one of these cars for 11 years yet, so I can't speak to that, but there are plenty of people with over 100k miles tuned, including turbo swap and other that is much more aggressive than just stage 2 with absolutely no issues. Warranty voiding concerns are valid, but other than that I wouldn't worry about the reliability while tuned.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, I wouldn't worry, these engines are overbuilt and reliable. Clutch wear and brake wear are the biggest concerns :p.

J.Etter

Passed Driver's Ed
Dumb question but would this have to be welded onto the end of the DP or could it just be clamped between the DP and the stock exhaust?

You could have it welded on. I just used a stainless band clamp to attach it.