GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe install Now exhaust leak

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
So after getting a downpipe installed USP catless GTI downpipe I now have two minor exhaust leaks I have been unsuccessful at getting rid of for 4 hours.

I have an exhaust leak where the two pipes attach to eachother right after the metal cross thread mesh.

Second leak is coming where the downpipe connects to the stock exhaust system where the adapter connects to the downpipe. There is drips of water coming out of it, yet I feel next to no air...

Is this bad? I assume it's not good, but is it okay to drive or is it need to be fixed asap. No CEL btw

Last edited:

undertherug

Ready to race!
So after getting a downpipe installed USP catless GTI downpipe I now have two minor exhaust leaks I have been unsuccessful at getting rid of for 4 hours.

I have an exhaust leak where the two pipes attach to eachother right after the metal cross thread mesh.

Second leak is coming where the downpipe connects to the stock exhaust system where the adapter connects to the downpipe. There is drips of water coming out of it, yet I feel next to no air...

Is this bad? I assume it's not good, but is it okay to drive or is it need to be fixed asap. No CEL btw

It will be fine to drive it as is. You may notice an exhaust smell, but you won't harm anything.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Drive it that way for now, but buy upgraded clamps such as the ones I have linked.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/stw-ebc300

The other option is to go spend $40 and have a local shop weld the first section together which is standard on almost all mk7 downpipes anyways.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I heard if you wrench hard enough they eventually do seal, but I would just buy the better clamps.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Drive it that way for now, but buy upgraded clamps such as the ones I have linked.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/stw-ebc300

The other option is to go spend $40 and have a local shop weld the first section together which is standard on almost all mk7 downpipes anyways.

I'm just scared if get the pieces welded, what if the pipes moved a little after removing clamp then have problems with it not lining up.

Last edited:

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I heard if you wrench hard enough they eventually do seal, but I would just buy the better clamps.

Feel like I'm going to break something if I do that...is there a tq spec for these clamps? I don't want it crushing the pipe in trying to get rid of leaks

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Also my oxygen sensor cable is no longer on its track, I have it going directly to the plug where it just barely makes it. Should I get an oxygen sensor extension or just leave it cause it made it

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Mine is tight as well. As long as it isn't hitting anything that would cause it to melt, you are safe.
Get better clamps or weld. Don't warp the pipe by over tightening.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Also I forgot to mention this but right at 2500 rpm it sound of the downpipe is super loud and it is shacking the car. I don't need to be in WOT it's the second it get to 2500 it's sounds like a motorcycle

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, because it is leaking.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Purchased the clamps. If this doesn't work going to have to cut the downpipe and get it welded in that one spot

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Story of my life when I had the catted USP down-pipe. I sold it in 3 weeks.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Step 1 Buy 42DD, Unitronic, CTS, AWE, Neuspeed, Bull-X or APR Downpipe.

Step 2 Install 42DD, Unitronic, CTS, AWE, Neuspeed, Bull-X or APR Downpipe.

Step 3 Profit.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
or . . . hear me out . . . go buy permatex exhaust leak sealant. Follow directions and profit.

I have also used tinfoil folded up to create a seal. This works very well for minor leaks (it just barely fills in the cracks. My Rev9 DP was leaking but after a combo or tinfoil and the sealant, I have no leaks anymore. Sounds much nicer now as well.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Step 1 Buy 42DD, Unitronic, CTS, AWE, Neuspeed, Bull-X or APR Downpipe.

Step 2 Install 42DD, Unitronic, CTS, AWE, Neuspeed, Bull-X or APR Downpipe.

Step 3 Profit.

exactly i tried circuit werks and i think its absolute junk...went unitronic...no fitment issues or install issues