GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe install: drive shaft won't release

damonrlloyd

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got all three of the drive shaft bolts out. Both of the dogbone bolts are out. I've rocked the engine forward as far as I can, and the shaft is not breaking free. I gave the shaft a few good hits with a rubber mallet. I'm not sure if I should be spraying PB Blaster on it, but that'd be my next move. Unless anyone has some advice from experience...? It's going to suck to have to put it all back together without getting my new pipe in.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've got all three of the drive shaft bolts out. Both of the dogbone bolts are out. I've rocked the engine forward as far as I can, and the shaft is not breaking free. I gave the shaft a few good hits with a rubber mallet. I'm not sure if I should be spraying PB Blaster on it, but that'd be my next move. Unless anyone has some advice from experience...? It's going to suck to have to put it all back together without getting my new pipe in.

Make sure you’re not hitting it side to side, it needs to slide about an inch (spreading from the flange) before it’s free.

Next step would be to drop the carrier so it has more room to drop if you still can get it (speaking from mk6 R experience, never dropped a mk7 shaft but it’s basically the same driveline)

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
As said, you need to rock the lower part of the engine forward about an inch away from the flange without damaging the o ring. If you have stiff engine mounts this can be difficult. If you do then i have tips ready for when you state you do. Make sure you have the heat shield around the flage removed. If it’s rust then a couple bangs with a rubber mallet on the drive shaft should break it loose.

damonrlloyd

Passed Driver's Ed
Following both ShopDAP and USP's install videos, both heat shields are off. I'm getting a good amount of movement on the engine, and have knocked the shaft with a mallet. I called it quits last night, but I'm heading out to the garage shortly to try again.

If it's still stuck, does anyone know of any reason a few shots of PB Blaster would be a bad idea?

golfare

Passed Driver's Ed
I was able to separate the driveshaft by wedging a flat head screwdriver into the flange mating surface and by prying lightly.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
I was able to separate the driveshaft by wedging a flat head screwdriver into the flange mating surface and by prying lightly.
Fuck yes! This got me unstuck!