GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't use spaces, especially not with studs

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
I'm sure plenty of you will still use spacers which is fine, just be warned. Something happens and it doesn't matter if you grease them.

I put a set of flush out spacers on my stock wheels Summer of 2017.
20200810_013718.jpg

From amazon because all the bolts were different lengths and I'll always go for cheap. Cheap anodized aluminum spacer you get it. In the fall 2017 I did my brakes and they were rusted to the rotor pretty good but rubber mallet and they come off.
20200810_013546.jpg

Greased them up really well, painted the rotor and hub greased them too.

Fast forward Winter 2018, I have a stud set, Porsche calipers, pads to install and the spacers are not coming off. After a weekend I get them off and after putting on studs, put the spacers back on. 🤦‍♂️You are literally stuck with a binded spacer over these rotors, you won't be able to unscrew the retaining nut without drilling. I believe I was running 16in steelies and needed the spacers to clear them.
20200810_014814.jpg

The lip that forms on the center hub is the problem. The lip and debris slowly grind away at the spacers. You can see all the pitting. I almost think the spacer with grease held water around the hub better than if I had just left it alone.
20200810_014641.jpg

March 2020 Those spacers have to come off for new wheels to fit. Plus I had a terrible vibration from them at this point.
20200117_115702.jpg

I spent a week trying to figure out a way to get these spacers off my rotors and normal methods all failed.
Even drilling out the retaining nut, because I don't wanna ruin these studs, rotors, or hub I'm left with one option. Use gallium to structurally decay the aluminum and break the spacers. It was really easy. Drill some nice fresh holes in the aluminum put some drops of hot gallium in and wait overnight. I added heat a couple of times to spend up the reaction. $20 Amazon for 100g still have half of it.
20200810_015908.jpg

Gallium destroys aluminum and a number of other metals. Be warned about getting it on anything metal, it will spread through your entire aluminum; floorjack, wheel, engine block in a few days. Fortunately the damage depth to steel is .002" over several weeks so it won't spread into a steel rotor or steel studs. But those spacers turned to cookie crumbs with just a couple of hammer taps. Gallium solidifies below 85* so it was safe and wouldn't splatter everywhere. Some got on the rotor and it was discolored until I wore it down.
20200810_015927.jpg

Here is the center hub and the enormous lip that had formed to bind it on.
20200629_111401.jpg

Dumb enough to do it, smart enough to get myself out of it.

Bust that lip off every 6 months with wire wheel if you wanna run spacers.
IMG_20200810_022340.jpg

Attachments

• 20200810_015908.jpg
    20200810_015908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
235/50! How much off-roading do you do with those truck tires?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Holy shit. Galvanic corrosion is a real motherfucker and looks like it got you good here. Glad you were able to get it off. I recommend anti-seize over just any old grease next time (unclear of which you used). Either that or throw a thin coat of galvanizing spray on the next set of spacers.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
You should be super clear NEVER to put any grease on the wheel/spacer/hub mating surfaces. You need that friction caused by the clamping force.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
buy cheap get cheap
Man....sorry OP. Unfortunately, epic and honest quote here that goes for pretty much anything. I'll be using this on countless threads here.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's the exact wheel and color I have. I'm using spacers with plastic centering rings.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hate to say it but that's what happens when you go the cheap route. You should have bought some H&R spacers because of quality, hub centric, and they come with their own bolts that are the correct size.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Yeah I don't know then. The lug nut guy stuff works for me. I am on 18s, not sure that makes a difference in lug hole diameter though.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yeah I don't know then. The lug nut guy stuff works for me. I am on 18s, not sure that makes a difference in lug hole diameter though.
What length studs are you on and how far outside the lug hole do those XL lug nuts extrude?