GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't understand tuning GTD?

Spinstorm

Ready to race!
I do not understand if and how to turn the GTD I have.

There should be a sticky thread about this!

How easy is it to improve the HP on the GTD? And where and how would I do it?

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Tuning box - basically sits in between the ECU and various components of the engine (typically fuel rail, boost and cam position sensors..the more connections the better it can deliver power increases)......not as sophisticated as a map but similar gains, quite often a bit cheaper and can prevent warranty issues as removal of the box brings the car completely back to OEM state and largely undetectable.

Map - the factory ECU mapping is changed, all OEM variables can be altered to quite radically change how the car delivers power, not just increase it. Software changes can be dealer detected and cause for drivechain warranty can be void. Some vehicles have to have the ECU hacked open physically to defeat the encryption too.!

Personally Im not of the mind the GTD needs more power....it has a hard enough time getting stock torque down when its damp but each to their own.

Spinstorm

Ready to race!
Tuning box - basically sits in between the ECU and various components of the engine (typically fuel rail, boost and cam position sensors..the more connections the better it can deliver power increases)......not as sophisticated as a map but similar gains, quite often a bit cheaper and can prevent warranty issues as removal of the box brings the car completely back to OEM state and largely undetectable.

Map - the factory ECU mapping is changed, all OEM variables can be altered to quite radically change how the car delivers power, not just increase it. Software changes can be dealer detected and cause for drivechain warranty can be void. Some vehicles have to have the ECU hacked open physically to defeat the encryption too.!

Personally Im not of the mind the GTD needs more power....it has a hard enough time getting stock torque down when its damp but each to their own.

That was a very helpful answer; so something like the DTUK pedal box isn't a permanent thing and won't void the warranty?

It isn't so much the power; more the economy as DTUK say their box will improve economy (the potential 220bhp or so is a side effect that isn't bad!)

Philboy

i fitted a dtuk crd box to my car 5 days ago have done just less than 1000 miles but have noticed a difference in mpg already up about 3-4 still playing with the programs though! but what was a fast car before is now amazing

Spinstorm

Ready to race!
i fitted a dtuk crd box to my car 5 days ago have done just less than 1000 miles but have noticed a difference in mpg already up about 3-4 still playing with the programs though! but what was a fast car before is now amazing

How easy was it to install? Did you have any previous experience doing spending like that before?

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a DTUK box on my old Corsa Sri CDTi. Easy to fit, decent (but not ridiculous) performance gain and no loss of economy.

My Astra 888 1.9 CDTI was mapped from new (part of what made it an 888). I've never driven a standard Astra 1.9 150bhp to compare, but I can tell you it made the car a flying machine in sport mode. Very eager with instant power. In normal use (non crazy, non sport mode driving) on a 50/50 mix of town and motorway driving I was getting a decent 45ish mpg.

I'd have to do a lot of studying in which route I wanted to go if I were to want more power from the Golf.

Last edited:

pipsyp

Ready to race!
That was a very helpful answer; so something like the DTUK pedal box isn't a permanent thing and won't void the warranty?

It isn't so much the power; more the economy as DTUK say their box will improve economy (the potential 220bhp or so is a side effect that isn't bad!)

Indeed a decent map is generally better but you'll be voiding the warranty (TD1 in dealer speak)......a box is the better way to go as it can be completely reversed and unless a dealership was really really looking for it wouldnt be detected (no software changes but some of the logging/event code information might raise suspicion).

You just have to make sure the box is removed for any dealer trips....also take care not to break any of the connectors when pulling the wires off.

DTUK boxes get alot of praise....I still dont think they are particularly cheap for what they are but you can see v good reliable power gains from them.

pipsyp

Ready to race!

Indeed a decent map is generally better but you'll be voiding the warranty (TD1 in dealer speak)......a box is the better way to go as it can be completely reversed and unless a dealership was really really looking for it wouldnt be detected (no software changes but some of the logging/event code information might raise suspicion).

You just have to make sure the box is removed for any dealer trips....also take care not to break any of the connector retaining clips when pulling the wires off.

DTUK boxes get alot of praise....I still dont think they are particularly cheap for what they are but you can see v good reliable power gains from them.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I would also say that you should completely ignore any comments about "improved mpg" on a remap or tune job. Truth is that the car runs pretty close to the wire in terms of efficient fuelling all the time, so it's as simple as "if you drive slower you save fuel". Tuning makes bugger all difference to this. If anything it just gives you the capability to burn more fuel more quickly..

ROBK75

Ready to race!

The DTUK Pedal Box doesn't affect the power, just makes the throttle a lot more responsive but it's definitely worth investing in as it transforms the way the car drives.

But to actually make it quicker you will need a DTUK Tuning Box or better still a custom remap. As someone said above getting the power down can be a problem with so much torque but once moving it will be much quicker than standard.

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I would also say that you should completely ignore any comments about "improved mpg" on a remap or tune job. Truth is that the car runs pretty close to the wire in terms of efficient fuelling all the time, so it's as simple as "if you drive slower you save fuel". Tuning makes bugger all difference to this. If anything it just gives you the capability to burn more fuel more quickly..

Yes I agree, I noticed no improvement in mpg after the remap. Also my fuel economy has gone to shit since I've fitted the DTE Pedal Box. Obviously I can make it better again by turning the pedal box off but the throttle response feels rubbish back in standard mode.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
The dtkuk box fools the fuel pressure sensor into thinking it's using less fuel so the mfd will always read more optimistic. If you've got the box turned up too high you'll also get overboost errors recorded and hesitation at low speed.

Philboy

How easy was it to install? Did you have any previous experience doing spending like that before?
Hi it took 5min to install instructions are good, i usually get my cars remapped dealer was ok about it then some new service guy started and its a no no now!
i do 60-70k a year so 10% increase in fuel economy is worth it for me as i have my own business and i charge all mileage at 45p plus vat i am getting another 5mpg thats worked out from calculations from the forecourt pump so its an exact figure i dont believe the car readings