GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Don't Sell your OEM downpipes!! read for the reasoning.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
Hello All,

Just thought i would make this thread as i have got rather frustrated with trying to find a decently priced used Mk7/Mk7.5 R down pipe.

Basically Palladium is in major shortage and our mk7 (GTI R etc) down pipes are falling victim to being sold to scrappers and cut up for the metal in the cats.

In the interest of being a community i was thinking we could offer our OEM downpipes that we don't want to other members for decent prices before we go selling them to scrappers who are just chopping them up.

This has several consequences!

- If your a mk7 Owner needing a used one your out of luck as the market will be starved from them as there all chopped to bits.

- people that need one for emissions or safety (used car etc) won't be able to purchase one.

- Prices are as high as "performance" downpipe options.

I dunno, add more Problems with this below in your replies!

Basically I wanted one to modify for fitment on my R as I cant modify the stock one as I need that for when I move (state or province) potentially.

I didn't want a aftermarket one as the only good one in my opinion is the HJS version or the milltek euro6 version. Fitment of the Euro6 Milltek is the best IMHO plus no codes.

I wouldn't mind paying higher but honestly there being bought in a couple hours by the scrappers. Reach out to me via PM if youve got an R down pipe that you'd be willing to work out a deal on. I only need one, not all the ones in Canada.............!!! (these scrappers are hawkers)

Also head over to the classifieds (Canada classifieds maybe?) as I have an old downpipe in decent condition for an 2011 A3 quattro. Forum/Community First

or the motto F-1st is what I stand by, in all transactions.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/17/palladium-catalytic-converter-metal-shortage/

This is just a thread to highlight to avoid selling to scrappers and others who only have there own business in mind. obviously you can sell to whoever you want. but in the interest of there being any used downpipes still around on the market for those of us that would actually use them, I'd appreciate your consideration.

Thanks,

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
It is pretty irritating to see the scrappers on the FB MQB groups offering crazy money for all these downpipes. I had a lot of issues finding one, but finally got a stock R pipe yesterday for a decent deal. The seller was very nice and said that even though scrappers offered him more money he wanted the pipe to go to someone who was actually planning on using it.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
It is pretty irritating to see the scrappers on the FB MQB groups offering crazy money for all these downpipes. I had a lot of issues finding one, but finally got a stock R pipe yesterday for a decent deal. The seller was very nice and said that even though scrappers offered him more money he wanted the pipe to go to someone who was actually planning on using it.

Glad to hear this.
This is what I am talking about. I'd rather give a deal to someone who needs or wants it for project, rather then sell it to someone who's going to flip it for more and then it eventually ends up chopped to bits. pointless.

I wish I had Facebook just so I could make a post on the MQB groups, to raise some awareness .... this is happening across all platforms of vehicles with expensive catalytic's. And it sucks.
Almost two years ago I could get one for $200 but I didn't know what I was headed towards for mods in the future .... fast forward to today and now I probably gotta pay $800 if I can even find one. Hmmmmm

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Glad to hear this.
This is what I am talking about. I'd rather give a deal to someone who needs or wants it for project, rather then sell it to someone who's going to flip it for more and then it eventually ends up chopped to bits. pointless.

I wish I had Facebook just so I could make a post on the MQB groups, to raise some awareness .... this is happening across all platforms of vehicles with expensive catalytic's. And it sucks.
Almost two years ago I could get one for $200 but I didn't know what I was headed towards for mods in the future .... fast forward to today and now I probably gotta pay $800 if I can even find one. Hmmmmm

I'm not sure how that FB post would go... seems like most people just want a quick buck and even tag the scrappers in the posts.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I keep all my stock parts. I'm not sure why someone would ever sell their stock downpipe, at some point you're going to need it for emissions...

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
$800 sounds more than reasonable for an OEM VAG downpipe actually. I never sold mine because I knew it was worth more than 2 or $300. For instance, just look at the price of used OEM headlights.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
I keep all my stock parts. I'm not sure why someone would ever sell their stock downpipe, at some point you're going to need it for emissions...

This makes the most sense. which is why i wasn't just gonna modify mine. I think what I'll do is go along the performance downpipe route anyway as its probably gonna be cheaper or just more effective and then I can always flash st2 if i want.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
People selling them on FB know they're selling them to scrappers. They're instructed to cut the downpipe themselves "here, and here" to save on shipping because the buyers only want the cats. It's a very transparent transaction, I've inquired about it before but have not sold mine.

It's a $500-600 payday for someone who probably spent more than that on an aftermarket DP. Real easy way to recoup some or all of your costs. Especially if you live in an area that doesn't have emissions testing or you have found a way around it.

I see both sides. It sucks for anyone who needs one and can't find one. But I would contest that if there's a chance you will need your stock DP later in life you should should not have gotten rid of it.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
This is why I keep all my (reusable) stock parts. Never have to worry about tracking them down later if you need them. Not sure how what you want to do (modify it) is all that different than a scrapper cutting it up. There are plenty of aftermarket downpipes that are just fine, definitely more than just one. My revo fits perfectly and throws no codes with a 2 dollar spacer off amazon (and I've had it on two different cars).

Last edited:

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
$800 sounds more than reasonable for an OEM VAG downpipe actually. I never sold mine because I knew it was worth more than 2 or $300. For instance, just look at the price of used OEM headlights.

Yes I would agree. Just too steep (close in price) compared to a good aftermarket performance downpipe. I have figured out what I am going to do now for a downpipe and as of now it doesn't involve a modified OEM downpipe anymore as that's just pointless at that price. I just hate Codes. I hope people still give deals to each other, rather than selling them to the scrappers who are jut making money off of us.

And NO you shouldn't sell your stock downpipe. A progressive government (read: fake progressive with no REAL progress) can be elected in a small flash of a brain fart. and then your screwed with non compliant emissions etc. Ontario has it good right now for modified cars but i can see that changing in the next 3 years easy....... Stupid individuals never learn........ All of our parties suck in ontario currently.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
This is why I keep all my (reusable) stock parts. Never have to worry about tracking them down later if you need them. Not sure how what you want to do (modify it) is all that different than a scrapper cutting it up. There are plenty of aftermarket downpipes that are just fine, definitely more than just one. My revo fits perfectly and throws no codes with a 2 dollar spacer off amazon (and I've had it on two different cars).

same here.
Oh the difference would be that I would actually be using it for a performance modification. not for profit like a scrapper. I'd say that's a fairly different use. This isn't just about me wanting one. It's more that there will be no OEM Downpipes around, when those people have sold all there downpipes need one again or the next owner needs one etc. There's not a lot of foresight going on..........

Thanks I will check out Revo. Do you know what spacer it is? or do you got a link? thanks.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I grew up hating living in a “Red State” now I realize how lucky I am, and am regularly told, compared to my friends who are basically living in authoritarian nanny states.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
same here.
Oh the difference would be that I would actually be using it for a performance modification. not for profit like a scrapper. I'd say that's a fairly different use. This isn't just about me wanting one. It's more that there will be no OEM Downpipes around, when those people have sold all there downpipes need one again or the next owner needs one etc. There's not a lot of foresight going on..........

Thanks I will check out Revo. Do you know what spacer it is? or do you got a link? thanks.

You're use case is different but it still creates the same issue. Once you're done with it, there will still be one less oem downpipe around since you're looking to modify it, so not that different/the end result is still what you say you want to prevent. If everyone was buying them and modifying them instead of scrapping them the community still has the same problem at the end of the day with a lack of available stock downpipes. There isn't a lot of foresight overall in the community, if there was almost everyone would be driving stock base models and maxing out their 401k.

https://funktionperformance.com/product/revo-mqb-awd-mk7-r-s3-chassis-downpipe-upgrade/

o2 spacer i run isn't listed any more but it was just a generic part. It's this exact design. https://www.amazon.com/Heimdolrio-Sensor-Protective-Stainless-Adapter/dp/B0921BFYJK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=193D8NC2SLW6&dchild=1&keywords=universal+o2+sensor+spacer+adapter+isolator+extender&qid=1619724743&sprefix=universal+o2+spacer,aps,190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQTZQNTZUQVNCWlAzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjg2MzEzWDBWOUY0MzcyU0NTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MjY5NDYzR0ZONVUxU0hCRU1PJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
7 R
You're use case is different but it still creates the same issue. Once you're done with it, there will still be one less oem downpipe around since you're looking to modify it, so not that different/the end result is still what you say you want to prevent. If everyone was buying them and modifying them instead of scrapping them the community still has the same problem at the end of the day with a lack of available stock downpipes. There isn't a lot of foresight overall in the community, if there was almost everyone would be driving stock base models and maxing out their 401k.

https://funktionperformance.com/product/revo-mqb-awd-mk7-r-s3-chassis-downpipe-upgrade/

o2 spacer i run isn't listed any more but it was just a generic part. It's this exact design. https://www.amazon.com/Heimdolrio-Sensor-Protective-Stainless-Adapter/dp/B0921BFYJK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=193D8NC2SLW6&dchild=1&keywords=universal+o2+sensor+spacer+adapter+isolator+extender&qid=1619724743&sprefix=universal+o2+spacer,aps,190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQTZQNTZUQVNCWlAzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjg2MzEzWDBWOUY0MzcyU0NTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5MjY5NDYzR0ZONVUxU0hCRU1PJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

are you a scrapper? point missed ..... nvrmnd.

Anyway ..... thanks for sharing those links .... that downpipe looks sweet. I'll definitely consider it.

Also thanks for the Spacer link. appreciate it. Too many spacers around that don't work but good to know this one is a potential win.