GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogs

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Well, against my protest, my father got my daughter a puppy for her 7th birthday. We already have a 13 year old 8lb Chihuahua who doesn't like other dogs, so I was very against it. But my wife and daughter wouldn't shut up about it, so I finally said "Fine, but you two are taking care of it".

So last Friday my old man made a 13 hour round trip to adopt a 13 week old mini goldendoodle from an Amish farmer in PA. About 15lbs now, and expected to get up to 35lb - 40lb. I think he'll be a bit bigger, he's got some big clumpy paws. He is a sweet boy though.

1624368350045.png

1624368386328.png

1624368490898.png

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Well, against my protest, my father got my daughter a puppy for her 7th birthday. We already have a 13 year old 8lb Chihuahua who doesn't like other dogs, so I was very against it. But my wife and daughter wouldn't shut up about it, so I finally said "Fine, but you two are taking care of it".

So last Friday my old man made a 13 hour round trip to adopt a 13 week old mini goldendoodle from an Amish farmer in PA. About 15lbs now, and expected to get up to 35lb - 40lb. I think he'll be a bit bigger, he's got some big clumpy paws. He is a sweet boy though.

View attachment 217411

View attachment 217412

View attachment 217413
That’s a cute looking dog. Looks like it’s enjoying a nice cigar in the last pic.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Awesome - enjoy!

@Dog Dad Wagon - what do you feed the dog?

She’s on hypoallergenic, hydrolyzed protein crap now. $125 for a 25 lb bag. $6 a can for the wet food. Can’t even give her the pills in peanut butter now.

she’s doing way better in the weeks since that incident. It hit me I had been feeding her a lot of peanut butter. She’s allergic to everything so I bet that’s what set her over the edge

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
She’s on hypoallergenic, hydrolyzed protein crap now. $125 for a 25 lb bag. $6 a can for the wet food. Can’t even give her the pills in peanut butter now.

she’s doing way better in the weeks since that incident. It hit me I had been feeding her a lot of peanut butter. She’s allergic to everything so I bet that’s what set her over the edge
My dogs always had a pretty sensitive stomach. It was bad enough that when he was younger I always kinda thought it was going to be stomach issues that would take him out. It also wasn't until he was much older that I figured out a good diet for him. I don't remember how long I've been doing this now, but every night I feed him twice and every time I feed him I boil him some chicken. I take the hot water I used with the chicken and dump it into his kibble, just enough so the kibbles just barely floating, and then I shred the chicken and add that to his bowl too. It's a bit of a pain to have to do twice every night, but it keeps him eating regularly and he doesn't get stomach problems.

I tried to spoil him on friday with some of my food and today we're still paying the price. It messed up his stomach and it takes so long for him to get his regular appetite back. Fortunately I've still been able to get him to eat all his pain pills twice a day or we'd be in a really bad situation. He's 13 and has some pretty bad walking problems due to nerve damage from just getting older. It's surprising he's even still walking around at all.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Try feeding them raw. I'm on my third dog, all three raw, never any stomach problems, allergies etc..

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Try feeding them raw. I'm on my third dog, all three raw, never any stomach problems, allergies etc..
What’s the cost comparison like with this?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

My sister’s friend started the Farmers Dog and I can get a 30% discount through her and it’s still too much money, though frankly I haven’t compared the cost to what I’m doing now with the hypoallergenic so I’m gonna run the numbers and when the 3-month prescription ends for the food and we begin easing her back towards targeted food types I’ll look into farmer’s dog. It’ll pay for itself in less trips to the vet.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My sister’s friend started the Farmers Dog and I can get a 30% discount through her and it’s still too much money, though frankly I haven’t compared the cost to what I’m doing now with the hypoallergenic so I’m gonna run the numbers and when the 3-month prescription ends for the food and we begin easing her back towards targeted food types I’ll look into farmer’s dog. It’ll pay for itself in less trips to the vet.
I looked into that for my dog too lol, shit's expensive for a 80 pound dog. I tried some JustFoodForDogs though. Petco has a little section of "human grade dog food". You'd think with the price tag it'd be good shit dogs love, but anything that's considered to be better my dog just won't eat. He doesn't give a shit about the more expensive grain free/allergy free kibble, or human grade dog food, or most canned food. He'll turn his nose away from all that stuff. Give him a treat or cook him some food and he eats it no problem, mostly. His pickiness makes things difficult.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
What’s the cost comparison like with this?
Cheaper - but its more effort.

You need a chest freezer.

For chicken - I feed quarters and backs. Chicken I feed three times a week and that's where he gets his bones from . The chicken itself I buy from maple lodge farms outlet, which is, just like the title says a meat outlet store. I don't buy my meat there, but for him I do. I buy around 60 lbs of chicken at a time.The rest of his diet consists of green tripe and oaffal. I get the green tripe from a butcher about an hour away from Toronto for $1.54/lb and the oaffal is $1.74/lb. I buy around 120 lbs every time I go.; so around $200 CAD.

My dog weighs around 110 lbs (and growing) and eats around 3.5 lbs of meat a day. His food costs me around $150/month - because I sometimes run out of shit and I have to get him chicken at the store like once or twice a month. If I was feeding him kibble I'd be doubling that, easy.

It is significantly better for them, their coats will starts to shine like you won't believe, they shit way less cause there is less waste to get rid of, no allergies, no bad breath, it's the best thing you can do for a dog. I consider myself an involved dog owner; my dog is a hobby to me and not a pet - I'll train him in various activities, so I'd like to think of myself as being above average in knowledge - raw food is the best thing you can do for your dog.

The pre-packaged stuff is very expensive. I tried it once when I ran out and i noticed his stool was way hard, which tells me that the bone content is too high. Their diet should be around 70% meat, 20% bone, 10% organ.

Dogs are very tough animals - North American society and that fucking loser Bob Barker have swayed the general publics perception of what these animals are.

Look at this guy, hard as fuck, and he just got a bitch pregnant, made me $1000 - my boy:

Ratko5.jpg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I looked into that for my dog too lol, shit's expensive for a 80 pound dog. I tried some JustFoodForDogs though. Petco has a little section of "human grade dog food". You'd think with the price tag it'd be good shit dogs love, but anything that's considered to be better my dog just won't eat. He doesn't give a shit about the more expensive grain free/allergy free kibble, or human grade dog food, or most canned food. He'll turn his nose away from all that stuff. Give him a treat or cook him some food and he eats it no problem, mostly. His pickiness makes things difficult.
Don't let him/her be picky. Put something in front of them, they'll eat it, one day, two day, three days later. Don't worry about it going bad. They'll burry a piece of chicken in the yard and then eat it like 10 days later. Their stomachs are much different than ours.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Don't let him/her be picky. Put something in front of them, they'll eat it, one day, two day, three days later. Don't worry about it going bad. They'll burry a piece of chicken in the yard and then eat it like 10 days later. Their stomachs are much different than ours.
That's just not possible anymore and it's not worth putting him through that. It's more important that I keep him eating and that he gets his pain pills twice a day. If he stops eating and I can't get him to eat his pills I just feel like he's going to spiral downward and it'll be over for him. Last week I didn't think he had more than a couple weeks left. About 5 months ago he pretty much stopped walking entirely until I got him to the vet and on some pills/therapy. It's amazing he's still going.