GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dog Bone on a diesel?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Tried to grab some pictures but they came out relatively useless. In any case, looking at the pictures and the video and the thread you linked... all of my mounts were in the proper position. Not unexpected as they haven't been messed with.

Pulled the insert out, replaced bolt with the new one I picked up in sad anticipation of this day. I had planned to drive around with the skid plate uninstalled, and maybe even unibrace ubq uninstalled (with the insert still in) but laziness got the best of me. Getting the car up on four stands is a PITA, didn't want to do it twice.

Car is back to being civilized, no vibrations to be felt at all. Drove around with the A/C on, happy to make extended pauses at stop signs just to enjoy it. I can also now roll the windows down without feeling the vibration resonate through the cabin. I thought I might notice the car being slightly less responsive with it uninstalled but I couldn't tell a difference. I've been spoiled in that area by driving my wife's Tesla. It has all the torques at all the wheels all the time, haha.

With the way my vibration resonated through the entire vehicle... is it possible that what was a practically imperceptible increase in vibration (in your experience) was amplified by my having the heavy duty skid plate and the unibrace UBQ installed?

I didn't bother with a new bolt, just loctite'd the old one. That bolt is seriously oversized for what it's supposed to do, the only way to break it would be maybe launching head-on into a wall at 100mph so the engine ends up in the trunk :)

I replaced the bolt on the GTI when I put the BFI insert in, but then I reused it when I replaced the mounts (the 2 pucks); many hard laps on track later, everything is tight to this day.

It's possible the for the skidplate to maybe amplify vibrations, but I really don't feel any in either of my Golfs and you said you can't feel any without the insert.. That's why I suggested engine misalignment, since I can't think of anything else.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Grabbed a few, just with the hood open, what do you think? For the time being I'm not going to mess with it any further (since there is no vibration without the insert) but should I be looking to adjust my mounts?
IMG_20200219_184154.jpg
IMG_20200219_184059.jpg

IMG_20200219_184200.jpg

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Looking at the pics the engine seems slightly turned clockwise or just pushed to the left (green circle).

The chassis hole (blue arrow) is definitely not visible on my car, so if the mount is supposd to cover it, that would validate that theory.

I think the best place to see the mount-to-chassis-rail lining up on my car is in the second pic from below I posted earlier - "Eng. mt. from below 2", where you can see the mount's edge at the top going slightly OVER the rail.

If your engine is pushed to the left, you probably wouldn't see the mount's edge from below, because it would be hidden by the chassis rail.

From the top I can't really see much of the rail since the mount slightly overlaps it, but on your car there's a lot of red to the right of the mount.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Interesting, I'll have to ask the dealer about where it should be. I think I have the Erwin manuals somewhere saved too, will look through them. Never considered that the hole shouldn't be visible, it always has been, haha. Should the bolt be "centered" in this area?
IMG_20200219_184247.jpg

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I'm not really sure about the specific role of that bolt, since it's not bearing any load, and most aftermarket mounts don't have it.

Here is where mine sits, definitely not centered:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not really sure about the specific role of that bolt, since it's not bearing any load, and most aftermarket mounts don't have it.

Here is where mine sits, definitely not centered:

How do you like the SuperPro mounts? Much vibration?

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
How do you like the SuperPro mounts? Much vibration?
No increase in NVH over stock. At all.

Dunno what voodoo material they make the mounts from, but it's strong as hard poly with vibration dampening characteristics of soft rubber.

I've heard they stopped making Mk7 mounts from lack of demand, which is a shame. For me, the Superpro mounts are the best mod for track days I've done to my GTI. TTS brakes and the tune are 2nd and 3rd.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No increase in NVH over stock. At all.

Dunno what voodoo material they make the mounts from, but it's strong as hard poly with vibration dampening characteristics of soft rubber.

I've heard they stopped making Mk7 mounts from lack of demand, which is a shame. For me, the Superpro mounts are the best mod for track days I've done to my GTI. TTS brakes and the tune are 2nd and 3rd.

Thank you. Great review. I have a set and have just been waiting until the OEM mounts need to be replaced. Was worried about the vibration.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Thank you. Great review. I have a set and have just been waiting until the OEM mounts need to be replaced. Was worried about the vibration.

Be aware the dogbone mount (the 2 pucks) will require subframe removal and subsequent subframe alignment, and inserting the pucks in the subframe was a major pain. Took me and a buddy about 3 hours to get them in right, even with a hydraulic press. I don't think there's a way to do it without a good press.

Still 100% worth it :)

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This is still bothering me, haha. When I look at aftermarket engine mounts, the part that mounts to the vehicle frame does not have oval shaped holes. From the pictures I can find this seems to be true of the stock mounts as well. Am I off in this assessment?

Looking through the Erwin manual there is no mention of adjusting this part of the mount. The part that bolts to the engine (on stock and aftermarket mounts) does have oval shaped holes which allow for adjustment.

Took screen grabs of both our mounts. Granted they are not to scale... our mounts appear to differ slightly. There is the area circled in orange that is indented in yours. Also the dimension noted by my sloppy green line looks longer than the same dimension on your mount, exaggerated in my "artwork" but they look different relatively. Lastly, what shape is the hole in the mount that would be below my red circle? I would assume not oval, so unless the bolt is quite skinny I wonder how much adjustment I have available.
Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Mickyp1989

I have the dogbone insert fitted (diesel powerflex) and it has made a noticeable difference to responsiveness in the transmission. seems to be less wheelspin and less slack in the pickup. slightly more vibration through the car but you get use to it in no time at all. I would highly recommend it

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Just to let you know, I put a Powerflex diesel insert in my winter car ('15 TDI Sportwagen), and there's no increase in NVH whatsoever. No one riding in my car can notice it, even after I tell them about it. There was a barely perceptible vibration for maybe 2-3 days/200miles right after I installed it, but nothing nearly as extreme as you're describing.
I suspect your engine/tranny might be slightly misaligned which is known to cause NVH. I'd check the mounts' alignment, downpipe clearance or perhaps something interfering/touching your skid plate.

I also have 034 solid shifter cable bushings and an euro short-shifter, and there is zero vibration that I can feel in my shifter. Again, that's on a diesel car.

In the GTI I had a BFI dogbone insert (my second mod, after the DG Sigma short-shifter) and it added a barely noticeable vibration which had mostly subsided after about 4-500 miles or so; the BFI insert is definitely a much stiffer material than the soft Powerflex Diesel insert.
I removed the BFI when I changed all the mounts to Superpro, which are just amazing; too bad they stopped making them.

I'm SO mad Superpro stopped making them. What the hell!!! They're the best mount producer on the market.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking of buying a set of 034 mounts (engine/transmission). I have noted several people saying they are failure prone but only a couple people have posted an account of their own failure. They also mentioned that 034 warrantied their mounts. The BFI mounts look great but I think they they'll be too stiff.

I'm over 30k on 5 year old mounts, most of this mileage tuned although I don't drive hard. Still, with the diesel the lowest durometer - but still stiffer than stock - mounts make the most sense to me. I figure I'll know pretty quickly if they add too much NVH for my liking and I'll go back to stock. I'm willing to take some loss on selling them in the private classifieds if they don't work out.

Anybody with a TDI (or GTD) have aftermarket engine mounts installed? Would love to hear some opinions before I pull the trigger in the next week or so.

Chirpthe1-2

Ready to race!
I don't have a diesel however I do have a 2017 GTI Sport and I recently installed the CTS engine mounts (most people say same as the 034).
I get the feeling most people that buy these mounts and break them or have problems with them are launching and hitting the track a lot.
After installing these mounts I noticed zero extra vibration. However what I did notice was the engine not moving as much and a nice change on takeoff and shifting. Catch them when they're on sale. I would highly recommend them for somebody that isn't hard on the car and has some spirited runs here and there.
I also installed the powerflex diesel dog-bone insert after the mounts. It did add some minimal vibration at idle but nearly all went away after a week.