GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does the mk7 have a soundaktor?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I'd be willing to bet that it does have one.

The soundaktor is there to bring a sound and impression into the cabin that is otherwise refined and insulated out of the car by design.
The MK7 is even more refined and quiet than the 6, so...

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes. I remember reading it somewhere.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
.... shit..

that means the R will get it then ..

You can unplug it if you don't like it.
Many people have unplugged theirs at the MK6 forum.

I happen to like it.
Unless I were to add something like a downpipe and louder catback - mine's staying plugged in.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I simply can't see the point - the only person it's fooling is the driver. Pandering to the small pecker brigade.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
lol. I wish they would just straight pipe it.. like the fiat 500.

none of these fake engine noises..

I'd prefer it done via a noise pipe as well.
Then at least you'd be really hearing your own car.

The soundaktor - so far as I was able to deduce - almost acts like a phone vibrate function.
Unplugging it in a MK6 is a cinch.
Some guys have done it and love it.
Others have done it, only to plug it back in.
Others like myself have elected to keep it plugged in.

Becks

Ready to race!
I simply can't see the point - the only person it's fooling is the driver. Pandering to the small pecker brigade.
:confused:

It would seem to me that some folks enjoy the sound they get inside the cabin, and it would be no different then saying that you don't care for a particular kind of music. One of the great things about these cars is the never ending personal customization options out there. I don't think anyone is fooling themselves, they just enjoy what is being offered.

Johnnieboy

Pardon my ignorance, but this concept is completely new to me! Am I likely to have a soundaktor on my Mk 7 SE 1.4 petrol? ... and if I have, where's the bit I unplug?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
:confused:

It would seem to me that some folks enjoy the sound they get inside the cabin, and it would be no different then saying that you don't care for a particular kind of music. One of the great things about these cars is the never ending personal customization options out there. I don't think anyone is fooling themselves, they just enjoy what is being offered.

If it was there to fool people, it would be an external sound.

It's an admittedly odd thing to artificially put something back in that was in essence engineered out.
Something I was uncomfortable with when I found out that my car had it.
It's one of those things that we are going to see - or hear more and more of.

Again, if you don't like it, pull the plug.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Pardon my ignorance, but this concept is completely new to me! Am I likely to have a soundaktor on my Mk 7 SE 1.4 petrol? ... and if I have, where's the bit I unplug?

It might only be a GTI thing.
I believe it's only on the GTIs for the MK6's.