GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does the manual R blip the throttle?

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
I noticed that when I'm stopped, foot entirely off the gas, and push in the clutch - the rpms jump by a very small amount. When is weird to me is that it doesn't always do this. It'll do it three times in a row, but then not the fourth or fifth time. Is this normal?

I'm still trying to figure out why my R will occasionally not shift into gear but haven't made any progress. i've had two dealers adjust the shift cables and one bled the clutch - two days later it wouldnt go into first again.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I noticed that when I'm stopped, foot entirely off the gas, and push in the clutch - the rpms jump by a very small amount. When is weird to me is that it doesn't always do this. It'll do it three times in a row, but then not the fourth or fifth time. Is this normal?

I'm still trying to figure out why my R will occasionally not shift into gear but haven't made any progress. i've had two dealers adjust the shift cables and one bled the clutch - two days later it wouldnt go into first again.

A lot of modern manual transmission vehicles rev in that way, it’s supposed to assist in smoother gear shifts at low revs (it won’t do it if the revs are above idle generally),
Not that this is your issue, but a friend of mine once complained how his new car was hard to get into gear, I suggested that maybe they were sat too far back, turns out they needed to slide the drivers seat a couple of clicks forward![emoji2957], doing so transformed how the car felt for them to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aar1217

Passed Driver's Ed
For a while I did think that maybe it was something I was doing - as in not depressing the clutch fully, but I don't think that's it. really frustrating to be honest since the car is otherwise amazingly fun!

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Does the manual R blip the throttle?

Yes, yes it does.
In a manner that defies reasoning and repeatability.
On my car (COBB access port tuned by Ed @ EQT), it sill does it every so often. Like an Easter egg left behind by some VW embedded controller programmer who smiles and chuckles just before nodding off each night, thinking of the millions of people he's fucked with by implementing that random blip.

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
yeah... it's like a 200 rpm jump when pushing in on the clutch. Goes back down right away though. I find it mostly annoying because of the exhaust noise when I have the flaps in race mode. I have the res delete, and that little blip is audible to the cars next to me... like I'm getting to race them or something.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i think my 2015 gti did this alot. So far my 2016 hasn't done it. I've realized though i almost always nail a 4th to 3rd throttle blip, but almost never nail a 2rd to 2nd throttle blip. Maybe it's assisting me in the 4th to 3rd and I suck at throttle blipping in general? lol

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I drove a new ford transit recently that didn’t just blip the throttle it raised the revs significantly, I later found it was switchable and is an anti stall system, I’d imagine that this is the same anti stall feature although it functions slightly differently, my current 2019 Peugeot boxer van does a very similar thing but nowhere near as pronounced as the Ford which was really noticeable.