GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anyone's Golf TDi make this noise?

rowboat

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 Tdi
Hi All,

I've got this electrical pump noise that I managed to record by placing my phone on the rear seats while driving in a bit of stop/start traffic. You'll hear it cuts off when the engine autostops and then comes back on again when it starts. It can be heard outside and inside, mainly towards the back of the car. It could be normal but I've never heard a Golf make that noise before and it's driving me mad!

It's a 2016 UK spec Mk7 Estate, 1.6 TDi

https://soundcloud.com/user-680924788%2Fnew-recording-5
Any ideas??

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo
Sounds like the fuel pump. I have a gas estate, but when I took out my rear seats I could hear my fuel pump when driving. Yours is way louder if you can hear it outside however, I'd get it checked.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I think the TDI has two pumps, a low pressure lift pump in the rear and the high pressure injection pump at the engine. The noise could be from your low pressure pump.

Does the volume diminish with a full tank of fuel? I can’t recall, but the low pressure pump may reside in the fuel tank.

David64

Car(s)
2017 VW Golf 1.6Tdi
rowboat - did you ever get this issue resolved???
I have 1.6 Golf TDi with the same issue. I had the low pressure fuel pump in the tank replaced last year. The replacement was quieter than the original but it was still noisy and it now seems to be getting noiser. Im not convinced the pump is the actual problem😬