GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does Anyone Have a MK7 GTI With An AWE Touring Exhaust Plus The Performance Down Pipe?

RingDinger

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hey, I'm looking at getting an AWE Touring Exhaust, because it isn't overly loud. But I also want to get a power boost, which means I need a downpipe. But, I don't my car to be obnoxiously loud, as I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood. I was wondering if anyone had some personal experience.

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
This is the exact setup I went with. I have the touring exhaust on my car right now without the downpipe, and the downpipe ready to install hopefully this weekend so I can report back then. I have ridden in a car with the same setup though (he was running AWE DP + Touring) and it was great. Loud enough to be noticeable, but not so loud as will piss off the neighbors. Also, no drone!

With just the catback it honestly is no louder than the stock exhaust once the car gets warmed up, and not greatly noticeable on cold start. I an 100% convinced DP + AWE Touring is the sweet spot for people who want the performance, but don't want to be obnoxious.

RingDinger

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks! I think I'm going to go that route also!

I hope that part ships fast for you! I'm excited talking about the exhaust. I can't imagine waiting for the final piece of the puzzle!

RTFM

Ready to race!
I have that setup on my car. It is louder than stock, but not much until you are past 2500 rpm. As long as you aren’t hitting WOT out of your driveway, nobody will really notice

HoyaDub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI Autobahn
Ok, thanks! Do you think AWE will get rid of their down pipe. Due to the APR thing.

Sadly I think it is only a matter of time at this point. APR being the "big guy" would be targeted by the EPA first, so with them moving out of the space eventually they will target AWE, Uni, etc. as well.

RTFM

Ready to race!
Sadly I think it is only a matter of time at this point. APR being the "big guy" would be targeted by the EPA first, so with them moving out of the space eventually they will target AWE, Uni, etc. as well.
I’m not convinced all manufacturers will be out. GESI has EPA verified cats, but they still aren’t CA legal. I do see downpipe becoming more expensive though.

RTFM

Ready to race!
Awe already quietly discontinued their downpipes.
Did they? I wasn’t sure if they stopped production to sell out some stock or if they stopped completely.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Did they? I wasn’t sure if they stopped production to sell out some stock or if they stopped completely.

They were one of the first to stop selling parts that removed primary cats within the US a good bit ago. I remember they stopped shortly after I got mine, lucky for me. The EPA thing has been brewing for a while.

OP: I have the Touring and their DP and I cant imagine the car any other way. I'd imagine the exhaust will sound good with any DP, so get whatever you can. You'll have to figure what to do about the CEL tho.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I have the track version of the AWE exhaust with a Uni dp, cold starts are obviously louder but after that it is only loud if I am in it.

RTFM

Ready to race!
They were one of the first to stop selling parts that removed primary cats within the US a good bit ago. I remember they stopped shortly after I got mine, lucky for me. The EPA thing has been brewing for a while.

OP: I have the Touring and their DP and I cant imagine the car any other way. I'd imagine the exhaust will sound good with any DP, so get whatever you can. You'll have to figure what to do about the CEL tho.
Ah, good to know. I must have got mine just before they stopped too