GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does anybody use the automatic parking feature on the Autobahn?

cb1111

Well, I guess it is semi-automatic because you still brake and feather the gas.

How well does it work? Does it require a huge parking space?

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
I actually don’t because I don’t know how...guess I’ll have to figure out and try soon. That said, I always thought this particular feature on cars was kind of gimmicky unless perhaps you live in a big city and street park daily.

steveaustin

Ready to race!
I've used it..what I don't like is how close it gets the rims to the curb...it makes me nervous. The best thing you can do is get those power folding mirrors and have it dip for you. Using that and your camera is a lot safer for the rims.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in LA with tight parking spots and use it all the time. It is surprisingly accurate and helpful. Didn't expect to like it, but love it.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I've used it tons of times. It works fine, but remember that it's judging position against the cars around you, it's unlikely to be able to detect the actual position of the kerb (for parallel parking). When parking in bays it places the car quite accurately in the middle of the space.

I doubt I'd ever choose to park on an Autobahn, however...

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
I've used it tons of times. It works fine, but remember that it's judging position against the cars around you, it's unlikely to be able to detect the actual position of the kerb (for parallel parking). When parking in bays it places the car quite accurately in the middle of the space.

I bet you park in your "driveway" and drive on the parkway.

cb1111

Good point. I could have worded the question a bit more carefully.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
I have it on my GT spec mk7 in the UK. I bought the car used and it was factory fitted from new. Wasn't sure if I'd ever use it, but as a techy I couldn't wait to try it out after picking my car up.

I have to say, its surprisingly good, I use it for most parallel parks, switch it on as I drive looking for a space, then indicate and drive past it when I find one. As soon as its happy with the space, stick it in reverse and it just does its thing!

I use it for bay parks too sometimes if I'm going to reverse in, its ideal in multistory car parks. I still get a smile on my face sometimes when it asks you to pull forward a bit as it goes back the second time to get you spot on centre between the cars either side in rally tight spaces!

Of course it has it's limitations, you can't use it all the time as the conditions might not be good (i.e. no others cars parked properly around the bay - but at that point there is tons of space anyway). It will fail every now and then (usually if i turn it on too late once I've passed the space a bit already), at which point you could try again, but I usually just take over at that point.

Overall I like it, if I bought a VW brand new I would add it as an option now I've used it. I do have a reverse cam from factory too, so I think that gave me a bit more confidence to use it the first time as I can see behind and observe better as it steers. I know someone with it fitted that never uses it as they find it too much hassle to use... I'd say if you have it, at least give it a few tries after watching a video on youtube that explains how to use, once you know, it really is very simple.

cb1111

Thanks. Oddly enough it isn't on the R. I'm a techie and always fascinated by this kind of stuff but always a bit reluctant to try it out.

About 10 years ago I tried it on an E 350 and found it way to cumbersome. IIRC, that system was different. It identified the spot but you had to steer it based on indicators on the dash.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
"I've used it tons of times. It works fine, but remember that it's judging position against the cars around you, it's unlikely to be able to detect the actual position of the kerb (for parallel parking). When parking in bays it places the car quite accurately in the middle of the space."

That and parking in spaces I'd consider waaay too small. Works good though, I have shoulder trouble so much steering wheel stuff sometimes feels like my arm is being torn off....

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I bet you park in your "driveway" and drive on the parkway.

hehe. I do have to drive on my driveway to park on it, but I'm not aware of the use of the term "parkways" in the UK so I mainly have to drive on lanes, roads, and motorways...

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
"I've used it tons of times. It works fine, but remember that it's judging position against the cars around you, it's unlikely to be able to detect the actual position of the kerb (for parallel parking). When parking in bays it places the car quite accurately in the middle of the space."

That and parking in spaces I'd consider waaay too small. Works good though, I have shoulder trouble so much steering wheel stuff sometimes feels like my arm is being torn off....

I used to live in a terraced street for about a decade so I can beat it every time for small parking spaces that it turns its nose up at, but in general it does a good job. TBH I'm still quicker than the car at parking too, but it does raise a few giggles and the kids are quite impressed when the steering wheel works itself ..