GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does a Catted Downpipe Really Add Power?

Towerworld

Passed Driver's Ed
o I have a custom exhaust guy wanting to make a DP for me, he says he can use 3" pipe but the flange has to be 2.5" just like the stock DP. Seems to me like there will still be a substantial restriction with that flange, has anyone actually done a before and after Dyno run to show if Downpipes add any power? I have Unitronic Stage 1+ btw.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
A DP will add a noticeable gain [to any turbocharged car]r but will also give you the CEL. It's not recommended unless you go Stage 2.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
The power is in the tune.

The difference between EQT's stage 1 and stage 2 tunes is generally 15-20hp according to their dyno numbers. The only real difference between them is the addition of an aftermarket DP. I don't know how much of that is an increase in timing or boost or both, but the aftermarket DP allows for that. Of course, results may vary depending on the addition of other supporting modifications.

If you don't care about the additional 15hp then don't change the DP.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I remember feeling a difference of just the DP on my S2 7GTI. When I'd go for service and revert to stock tune, it was definitely more than just the stock DP.

Then again, I felt the difference from the stock rims to FC04's and some can't.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Have to disagree with that. If he gets a tune he'll get more power from a DP than a catback.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
On EQT 's own car they run a stock catback. There is very little gain from a catback. How much power does your car have?

Pretty sure impulsive.ca was being sarcastic, and DarkArrow was saying you missed the joke.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Getting a catback is the more expensive equivalent of people getting shift knobs on dsg transmissions.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Getting a catback is the more expensive equivalent of people getting shift knobs on dsg transmissions.

But I liked BFI's new GSB DSG shifters :(