GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Documenting possible timing chain problem

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32869971196.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail

In the link above, the long chain is the main timing chain, notice how it has doubled up links. The smaller chain I believe is for the balance shafts, but is exactly the same design as the older timing chain. The balance shaft and oil pump chains are the same older style chain, even if you have the updated main timing chain.

Here’s another Link, it’s for a Mitsubishi but my thought is they all got the chain form the same suppler, because the older style chain has stretch issues no matter what vehicle it was fitted to.

http://roadraceengineering.com/blog...od-bad-and-ugly-mostly-ugly-not-so-much-good/

You can check and see if you have the new style chain by taking a dental mirror and sticking it into the oil cap. Look at the side of the chain, the newer style is shaped kinda like a dog bone/heart on the side. The older style is shaped similar to a trapezoid.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I’m pretty sure all gen3 engines have the newer chain and that the old style was a gen2 part, even then though the problem was never really the chain (although all chains have the possibility of stretch) the issues were to do with the tensioner which was revised at least 3 times with the final revision being trouble free as I recall, you can check for timing chain stretch by viewing some measuring values with VCDS if concerned.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m pretty sure all gen3 engines have the newer chain and that the old style was a gen2 part, even then though the problem was never really the chain (although all chains have the possibility of stretch) the issues were to do with the tensioner which was revised at least 3 times with the final revision being trouble free as I recall, you can check for timing chain stretch by viewing some measuring values with VCDS if concerned.

What time is it in the UK?

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
That's what I know too, the chain could strech but would not cause much damage by itself. The main issues were with the tensioner, which would cause the worst problems including chain slip which could basically kill the engine. It could also fail itself. The latest revision was said to be relatively trouble free, so the first thing you would do when buying a gen2 engine was replace the timing chain kit with the latest rev which is 06K109467K with a K :)

Then you'd start to check if it burns oil...

Still I'm curious if any of these designs/problems can be found on some (early) Gen3 engines ? I haven't read about it anywhere else.

Last edited:

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Chain stretch can certainly cause the timing to jump, if you don’t keep an eye on it using a scan tool. Some people with mk6’s are finding out that they changed the tensioner just to have the timing chain completely stretch. Now they have to go back into the motor and replace the chain when it all should have been done the first time.

A quick google search of “ea888 gen3 timing chain” will show that some have the older chain, some have the newer chain.

https://youtu.be/SFonTWfD_7c
I think in that case the tensioner failed, but it shows that it can still happen to early 3rd gens

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Hopefully my new parts are prone to failing either. Should be good for at least 60k miles at least!

DN57

Car(s)
Golf R MK7
Hopefully my new parts are prone to failing either. Should be good for at least 60k miles at least!
Hi

Sadly I think I have the same problem! Is there any way we can speak about this please? I appreciate this was 3 years ago but I have searched and searched for the last week on forums, pages, VW & no one can tell me what is wrong with my car. Looking at this discussion page it seems very similar to my car.

my number is 07752167381 or if you are still active on here please respond and I can send over a video.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Getting what I think is timing chain slap at start up that quickly goes away but have had it prolonged - 78K on 2018 1.8 in my GSW. Timing chain values with OBDEleven seem to be fine/same as others on the GSW/AT FB group posted up at my request (screen shot from OBDEleven below). Going with a tensioner that is failing/has failed. Not sure how these work exactly - my understanding is that it uses oil pressure but has an arm that pushes out as the chain wears that is notched and has a catch that keeps it from going backwards....on the MK6 when this was a common issue, the tensioner failed by the arm locking mechanism failing. Can't get it in the shop this week and AVF in Helen next week so rolling the nice and just driving it. Assuming once oil pressure builds after start it shuts up as the mechanism has pressure but at start that locking mechanism isn't working correctly...just my understanding. No codes. Hard to get a video b/c it's sporadic and goes away quickly after start up. I'll set up my camera and try to capture it.

280490159_10158594658471723_7980065017780109359_n.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Hi

Sadly I think I have the same problem! Is there any way we can speak about this please? I appreciate this was 3 years ago but I have searched and searched for the last week on forums, pages, VW & no one can tell me what is wrong with my car. Looking at this discussion page it seems very similar to my car.

my number is 07752167381 or if you are still active on here please respond and I can send over a video.
What is your symptom?

S.villa

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Getting what I think is timing chain slap at start up that quickly goes away but have had it prolonged - 78K on 2018 1.8 in my GSW. Timing chain values with OBDEleven seem to be fine/same as others on the GSW/AT FB group posted up at my request (screen shot from OBDEleven below). Going with a tensioner that is failing/has failed. Not sure how these work exactly - my understanding is that it uses oil pressure but has an arm that pushes out as the chain wears that is notched and has a catch that keeps it from going backwards....on the MK6 when this was a common issue, the tensioner failed by the arm locking mechanism failing. Can't get it in the shop this week and AVF in Helen next week so rolling the nice and just driving it. Assuming once oil pressure builds after start it shuts up as the mechanism has pressure but at start that locking mechanism isn't working correctly...just my understanding. No codes. Hard to get a video b/c it's sporadic and goes away quickly after start up. I'll set up my camera and try to capture it.

View attachment 248816
Did you ever get this fixed ? my car is at the vw dealer and I’m told that the rattling that I’m getting at low idle, is a bad timing chain. They quoted $2,700. I thought that it was the cam magnets or VVT oil valves. I replaced magnets, valves and camshaft position sensor. That didn’t help. I have engine code P0341.

S.villa

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I also read that the camshaft bridge bracket could be the culprit if the screen is missing or broken..

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Did you ever get this fixed ? my car is at the vw dealer and I’m told that the rattling that I’m getting at low idle, is a bad timing chain. They quoted $2,700. I thought that it was the cam magnets or VVT oil valves. I replaced magnets, valves and camshaft position sensor. That didn’t help. I have engine code P0341.
That's a catalytic converter code, nothign to do with timing chain.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I also read that the camshaft bridge bracket could be the culprit if the screen is missing or broken..
I would be helpful to post your: model/engine/drive/trans/year