GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do your DRL's go out when indicating?

Essjay

Ready to race!
I can't find anything mentioned in the manual about this, but I was sitting in traffic at a junction and could see the Daylight Running Lights reflected on the car in front, and as I indicated, the corresponding DRL was extinguished. I tried the indicator in the opposite direction and the same thing happened with the corresponding DRL.
I can only assume this is done to make the indicators more visible in daylight?:confused:
Can someone check theirs just to make sure I don't have a problem?, or indeed, if it is in the manual, can you guide me to the page please?

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
its normal, all cars do that. as you said its so they stand out and the drl lights dont reduce there brightness. also ive noticed on my mk7 that the drl are brighter when on auto then the standard side light setting.

Essjay

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, never noticed it before, but quite logical really.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
one thing I want to know about the lights, is why the side lights/drl go off when the headlights go on. normally the sidelights and headlights are both on, only thing I can think of is to prelong the life of the bulbs as its not really needed but couldnt see a car maker really caring to do that lol.

was wondering if your headlight blows, do they come on even on one side to even give off some light . would be very dangerous if it didnt as it would be easy for someone to think its a bike coming and not a car.

slush.puppie

Ready to race!
its normal, all cars do that. as you said its so they stand out and the drl lights dont reduce there brightness. also ive noticed on my mk7 that the drl are brighter when on auto then the standard side light setting.

in the united states the mk6 gti with led drls does not do this. you need to enable the setting via vag-com. you can also set them to dim, rather than go out completely.