GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you run an engine in?

JohnT1

I've just ordered an R and eagerly await delivery in 2015!
Just curious re varied reports on how to run an engine in or not at all.
Any thoughts welcomed ,thanks.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
FAQ, it's your car, so do as you wish with it, personally I would run it in as per handbook, after all there can be no harm for running it in even if it didn't need it, where as not running it in where it is advised can reduce the running life and reliability.
So.... are you going straight to the Silverstone track from the showroom?

JohnT1

Thanks. No I'm a sedate older driver,that's why I've gone for an R !�� it's also arriving on a transporter straight from the dealership.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Thanks. No I'm a sedate older driver,that's why I've gone for an R !�� it's also arriving on a transporter straight from the dealership.

Older doesn't necessarilly mean sedate, experience can count for a lot compared to wet behind the ear youths. Irrespective of delivery collection method, I'd still be not thrashing the pants off it often too soon and for too long. I think I recall someone posted having taken delivery of an R and picking up 3 points pretty soon afterwards, I can see this being the case for the GT models too.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Like Avanti says, its your car but IMO

Stick between 2000rpm and 4000rpm for the first 1000miles and progressive throttle. The car will want you to be at very low revs for eco reasons but try not to let it do that too much during this period. No v-low revs and no high revs, also drive town, country and motorway for the even spread of load on the engine... Don't mother it, just drive sensibly as above and it will be fine.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Like Avanti says, its your car but IMO

Stick between 2000rpm and 4000rpm for the first 1000miles and progressive throttle. The car will want you to be at very low revs for eco reasons but try not to let it do that too much during this period. No v-low revs and no high revs, also drive town, country and motorway for the even spread of load on the engine... Don't mother it, just drive sensibly as above and it will be fine.

I noticed that the DSG waits to about 4100rpm to shift in sport mode with normal driving. I guess an extra 100rpm isn't that significant.

Gnasher

Ready to race!
From what I've heard on VAG engines, it's not so much the need to run in for better power, but for less oil consumption.

For what it's worth, I ran mine in for 1500 miles at up to 4000 rpm and then slowly increased my revs/throttle application and the oil level hasn't moved.