GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you do your first oil change early?

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
Oil/filter @ 1k....filter at 3k....Oil/filter 5k

Can you send me that 5K drain oil so I can use it in my engine? Unless you've disintegrated the engine or do really short runs so the oil never gets to 180 F, that drain oil is still good for another 5K. Might as well put it to work. I'd ask for the filter too but they are messy to work with when full of oil. ;)

Sharpen

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you send me that 5K drain oil so I can use it in my engine? Unless you've disintegrated the engine or do really short runs so the oil never gets to 180 F, that drain oil is still good for another 5K. Might as well put it to work. I'd ask for the filter too but they are messy to work with when full of oil. ;)

I actually use the oil when I'm drilling into tool steel in my shop...Definitely not Dirty oil!!!

jackalope

Ready to race!
Yes at 1200 miles and I got the oil analyzed. It turned out to be 5W-30 and of course had high wear metal, so I stand by changing early. But 2000 or 3000 is probably fine

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I just turned 2700 miles on my GIT that I bought in July 2018. Car told me to change the oil so just dropped it off at the dealership for the first service.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I did my first oil change at 5k, and then at 10k and have since followed the maintenance minder and got the next shortly before 20k

shiranai

Hello, I don't mean to hijack the topic but figured I just ask here instead of creating a new post.

I keep seeing a mileage interval (10K) for oil changes but not time interval. However, I would guess you should change your oil at least once a year regardless of miles. My specific question is... If I were to buy a new 2019 GTI, should the oil be changed right away or soon? Given that the oil has been sitting inside since the car was built last year.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello, I don't mean to hijack the topic but figured I just ask here instead of creating a new post.

I keep seeing a mileage interval (10K) for oil changes but not time interval. However, I would guess you should change your oil at least once a year regardless of miles. My specific question is... If I were to buy a new 2019 GTI, should the oil be changed right away or soon? Given that the oil has been sitting inside since the car was built last year.

Oil should be fine unless the car is getting a lot of test drive miles.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
If I were to buy a new 2019 GTI, should the oil be changed right away or soon? Given that the oil has been sitting inside since the car was built last year.

The oil service reminder, as its set up from the factory, will alert you 12 months after the build date. At least, that's how it was on my 2017, which I bought in October of that year, and started getting the reminder around Labor Day 2018, at 7400 miles. The tag in the driver's door frame will indicate the build date, but there should be no need for an immediate oil service upon purchase. If the 2019 you decide to purchase is 2 months from its service date, get the dealer to change the oil before you purchase it, as part of the deal. Given the current market conditions, I doubt they'll object.

As far as the actual necessity of an annual service for synthetic oil, I'm not entirely convinced of it, as synthetic oil doesn't stratify if left sitting, the way conventional oil does. Some have said that it should be done due to moisture/condensation buildup in the crankcase, but that's something I never saw in several years of servicing BMWs for the idle hausfraus in my town.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
I have a 2019 Rabbit. I couldn't decide between changing at 1,000 and 1,500 miles so I changed it at 1,266 miles. I'm OCD and broke the car in meticulously and it was surprisingly dirty. I was completely on the fence of following the manual but like others have said, it just plain makes me feel better to change it early. I mean, excess wear metals during break in and don't forget any assembly metal in there from when the engine internals were machined. I did my next change at 5,000. It only has 5,700 miles on it now but I plan to do the change every 5k. Oil quality between the best brands doesn't matter as much as oil change intervals. In my opinion.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
First oil change was at 10k, after that every 5k.
How dirty did the oil look at 10k when it was changed first? Is yours a 502 or 508 spec?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I like how folks use the subjective metric "it looks dirty" to discuss oil change intervals. Get your used oil tested which will tell you exactly what is in it, how much life you can get out of it, etc. It's a quantitative exercise.

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
I like how folks use the subjective metric "it looks dirty" to discuss oil change intervals. Get your used oil tested which will tell you exactly what is in it, how much life you can get out of it, etc. It's a quantitative exercise.
Yeah, I agree. I just said "Looks dirty". I can't tell if it IS dirty. I guess I was thinking that I've polished metal and watched the rag turn black, I've seen rivets and metal on metal work over extended periods of time and seen the black compounds produced as a result. I've seen oils changed early and seen the color. I've seen the oils changed late and seen the color. Not scientific at all, but probably some element of correlation that can be drawn to metal on metal wear exposure to heat/combustion and color. I'm thinking a lab result would substantiate. If blackstone says a pitch black quart of oil that came out of my car, shows "Like new" properties, I'm not going to put it back in... Ya know? Just makes me feel better.