GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do our cars have true oil temperature sensors? Calculated vs. measured oil temp?

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
In my experience the modelled temp is usually higher (I assume it's to predict oil temps in the rotating assembly), and the difference goes up the more you mess with things like big aluminum oil pans and oil coolers. Looks normal to me?
I'm asking because all this while it has been reporting 105-111C for my normal commute of 30 mins or more (ie, car fully warmed up). Recently it's reporting only around 80-90 despite driving for a longer period of time which raised concerns for me.

At the same time, there has been an occasion or two where the coolant fan seems to be running full blast even after shutting down the engine - this has never happened to me before until recently. Hence I was thinking one of the temperature related sensor (oil temp g266 or coolant temp g62 and g83) might be going bad soon.

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm asking because all this while it has been reporting 105-111C for my normal commute of 30 mins or more (ie, car fully warmed up). Recently it's reporting only around 80-90 despite driving for a longer period of time which raised concerns for me.

At the same time, there has been an occasion or two where the coolant fan seems to be running full blast even after shutting down the engine - this has never happened to me before until recently. Hence I was thinking one of the temperature related sensor (oil temp g266 or coolant temp g62 and g83) might be going bad soon.
Quick update on my situation and sorry for going out of topic here
Turns out that I have a bad G62 sensor (no error code, but it was reporting a higher than usual temperature for my coolant)
Took it out and it broke
IMG-20230309-WA0026(1).jpegIMG-20230309-WA0024(1).jpeg

evilhomura89

Passed Driver's Ed
I spent some time doing some testing while using the HSL to watch a bunch of different oil temp related PIDs. My findings were shared here:

Post in thread 'DerHase's 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition: HPDE shenanigans'
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...-edition-hpde-shenanigans.401435/post-7916493
Are you able to log the coolant temp sensor (g62) data together with the different oil temp related PIDs and see how they affect each other (esp the PIDs that is based on calculation)?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Are you able to log the coolant temp sensor (g62) data together with the different oil temp related PIDs and see how they affect each other (esp the PIDs that is based on calculation)?

Yeah I’m logging basically everything available. There’s about 70 more parameters (knock, misfires, lambda, etc) as well.