GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do most guys that run hybrids run catch cans?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
No.

My understanding is it's only necessary if you're tracking the car.

Will wait for the smarter guys to chime in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I installed an OCC when my 18 SE was brand new and unmodified. I had a Veloster Turbo with an OCC but it has a completely different PCV system. With the PCV system the GTI uses it's debatable whether it needs an OCC except for tracking as @Acadia18 said.

I was getting blow by in the can but still needed carbon cleaning at 80,000 miles.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The majority of the hybrid people that run 33psi end up needing to get an aftermarket pcv plate system as they get excessive blow by with the smoke clouds just like tracked cars get, also - seen that the oem starts to fail and give people higher knock reading at cylinder 4 from the excess oil/blow by.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
No.

My understanding is it's only necessary if you're tracking the car.

Will wait for the smarter guys to chime in.
That's not all true. Yes it helps with tracking your car but also helps with the higher crankcase pressure that is caused from running a hybrid. Like what @El_bigote_AJ mentioned, it will also help with the excessive blow-by. Before I got one, my hybrid was causing oil to leak in cylinders 1 and 4 and giving me more knock than usual on 93 pump gas. After installing my Spulen catch can that replaced the PCV plate, oil stopped leaking in the two cylinders and my knock went down to nothing.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’ve been running the stock PCV on my DBV2 for 15k+ miles now, but that being said I’m only running 27-29psi.

If I was going to go with a OCC I would go with VWR or Spulen. I like the design of the APR the most, but the leaking issues I’ve been seeing are unacceptable at that price point.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I've been running the CTS plate/CC combo. While great, it gets annoying because it is so small and needs to be emptied more often....and to do that is a bitch! I ended up drilling out the bottom and installing a petcock, makes it much easier to drain and is now tolerable.