GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag you name it....this is the way...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I watched your newest YouTube video this morning. Great content, great wagon!
Thank you and appreciate it. I have one more to make today....

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
View attachment 258855

So I decided to nerd-out as I do and do some suspension measurements to figure my droop and bump travel. My setup is GSW w/4Mo + DSG, Bilstein B8s, Eurosport Street camber mounts, H&R Sport springs. Beyond those primary bits, I have H&R f./r. upgraded sway bars (27mm/25mm, respectively), 034 adjustable f. end links, Moog r. end links, Superpro aluminum LCAs, and the Tyrolsport f. deadset kit and 034 r. subrame inserts. What I did was measure the static level by doing wheel lip to fender lip both f. and r. and then jack up each until the wheels were off the ground and take the measurements again. Both were the same; 3.5" so 3.5" droop/extension travel. Next I was able to contact Bilstein and get the specs on each damper including total shaft travel/length and for the fronts the internal jaunce bumper length. I was able to find the r. jaunce bumper length by part no. Then I did some video testing to measure the actual bump travel up front using a speed bump. Data below:

View attachment 258987

So bottom line is, I don't have nearly as much travel up front as I thought I would have. Would be ideal to be at a 70/30% bump to droop ratio in my mind but I'd need to be able to pre-load the springs a bit to get that travel in that range and increase my ride height a bit - the B14/16 coilovers would allow me to do that. Going with the coilover that have adjustable bodies would remedy this more easily as you can set the bump/droop with preload independently of the ride height but of course you can put the tire through the fender with those too if you go too low. I noted I lost 0.25" of f. ride height after the LCAs/camber mounts/etc. so not sure there - maybe that changes the geo enough to do that? I can't see how else that would happen as the spring rate/strut length sets your ride height. I'd happily add 0.25 back to gain a little more bump travel up front. The fact that you ride on/into the jaunce bumper is news to me but based on the info from H&R below, makes total sense...really just addes progressiveness to the coil springs. Also makes me wonder if you can tune the springs a bit more (increase the rate) by just doing some upgraded jaunce bumpers? Finally...just how far can you compress a jaunce bumper? 100% of it's length is not possible. Based on he video work I did it looks to be ~30% of it's length compresses until you are fully "bottomed out" and feel a thud.

Here's the video. I just taped a measuring tape I made to the fender and zero'd it on the lip of the wheel. Looks to move 1" and I'm assuming that the wheel movement to strut shaft movement is 1:1 for this but that may not be accurate but the math on the numbers bilstein gave me works and 30% compression of the foamy makes sense:

https://youtube.com/shorts/8NDWFYTMBXw?feature=share

Post was more informational/to spur supension nerd talk so have at it!

Some good reading from H&R on this topic here:

https://www.hrsprings.com/technical/micro-cellular-jounce-bumper

Excerpt that seems to back my measurements/that my car sits on the foamy jaunce bumpers:

Capture2.JPG

Also, Steve Dinan has some good info if your'e willing to spend the time on this podcast re suspension and jaunce bumpers:

Hey thanks for all your informative posts, much obliged. The Steve Dinan interview was super informative and appreciated as well. Highly recommend to anyone that appreciates honest, logical, technical (race and street) car talk.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
New today....MK7 R fender liners! Details in video/description including part nos. Please like/subscribe!

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
To finish off my minor aero mods...I give you the short tunnel cover installed on my 2018 Golf Sportwagen w/4Motion and Tyrolsport deadset kit. I had to modify the cover as shown using a Dremel and abrasion disc to so that it would sit flush b/c of the deadset kit brackets that aren't stamped with recessed portions like the stockers for the tray to fit with the push rivets. I used zip ties to hold the front to the brakets - easy. Ordered from my local VW dealer using vw.parts.com and I bought a 1/2 dozen of the T30 screws b/c you always need them. All of this info can be found in golfdave's aero tray megathread:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-skid-trays-aerodynamic-under-trays-stone-guards-to-a-mk7-golf.320687/
Part no.:
https://parts.vw.com/.../Floor.../53763773/5Q0825230J.html
https://parts.vw.com/.../Bolt.../48724308/N90974701.html
With the 3" Unitronic DP I don't think the full-length shield for the fwd wagons would work even with the modifications listed in golfdave's thread as the mid-pipe is below the level that the full-length shield attaches.

20221126_174948.jpg
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
HPDE #4 in the books for 7 total track days now for me all at VIRiginia International Raceway since Nov. 2020. Knocked a few more seconds off my PR from the Audi Club event last month down to 2:18.96. Really enjoyed the Tidewater Sports Car Club event/folks/great meeeting all the VW gang! There were 7 MK7s (4 GTIs/1 R/2 GSWs)!

Summary:

2018 Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion + DSG. "I've never wanted a station wagon more in my life" and "what the fuck is in that thing?" - dudes in my run group

Ambient temps in the 40s up to 50 and mostly cloudy. Perfect weather!

Max oil temp – 245/no cooling/temp issues. Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 + a can of Liquimoly MoS2. Ran a bottle of VP Cool Down "water wetter" in my coolant. Oil has 4 track days on it and I'll change it out after this weekend.

Fuel – 93 + E85 for a E22-ish blend and a can of Liquimoly Speedtec. No fuel-related drama.

Driver: 7 track days total, all at VIR – Moved up to yellow/lower-intermediate run group this event.

Power: IS38 turbo, Unitronic software (ECU/TCU), United Motorsport Haldex tune, FBO, APR plugs/coil packs blah blah blah Car continues to have great power/no drama/the Unitronic software is superb.

Suspension/chassis mods: H&R Sport springs, Bilstein B8s, Eurosport Street Camber Kit mounts (-0.8 deg camber), H&R 27mm f/25mm r. sway bars, 034 f. end links, Moog r. end links, Superpro aluminum LCAs (-0.8 deg camber/+1 deg caster), Tyrol f. subframe deadset kit, 034 r. subframe inserts, 034 full dogbone suite (pucks, inserts, arm), 034 Density line engine/trans mounts. -2 degrees camber front/-1.6 camber rear/0.16 toe front/0.15 toe rear/7.9 caster front. Springs are too soft but it's a street car, otherwise suspension feels great.

Brakes: APR 350mm BBK w/APR “Advanced track day” pads and stock 272mm r. brakes with EBC Yellowstuff, Motul RBF600. Brakes are amazing.

Tires/wheels: 17x9 Apex VS-5RS forged (5mm spacers in rear) w/Accelera 651 Sport 255/40/17 @ cold 29r/28f. Tires are great, lots of feedback, v. predictable, and wearing well at 6/32" front and 8/32" rear after 4 track days.

OBDEleven: ECS off/Expanded Electronic Differential Lock weak/ Straight ahead brake stabilization off/Hydraulic brake assist off. This setup continues to work well.

Safety: It's Time for a HANS and a full face helmet. The gloves I picked up worked great.

No fancy rendering stuff, just ~5 min of a few reasonable laps (for me) on Day 1 which was my better day of the two. Bonus you can see me keeping looking in the rear view keeping tabs on the GT350 behind me...when he flies by that Voodoo motor with the flat-plane crank sounds gloooorious! I have more video I'll mess with today from my GoPro and hopefully have some of Bryan Garcia sending it. Terrence Singh is the reinging world-champion of full-send wagons!

20221210_143023.jpg
20221210_170942.jpg
20221211_123024.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Fuelled by tunes from the Motor City Madman (those sweet under-hood light are also Bluetooth speakers - Costco), I decided after my morning coffee/before I get to work for the day to finally install the aluminum coolant flange I bought at Alpine Volks Fair last year from the fellow that makes them. Victor Sultana "The Dad Wagon" has a good DIY video with all the info you need/answers your questions here:

https://youtu.be/v57SP1jOHT8

Pretty simple overall but my clamps were facing backwards/the turbo which made hose removal a total pain in the ass; I do have the clamp pliars for it which helps; I had to remove one of the coil packs to get a better angle on it. I also lost a lot of coolant from the hole this fitting sits in...more than I expected and I did have the rear raised up...maybe not enough (?). The old fitting was in fine shape, this was just more of a preventitive/why not thing/supporting someone's innovative work.+

20230106_091551.jpg
20230106_100221.jpg
20230106_101313.jpg
Capture2.JPG
Screenshot_20230106_092608_Spotify.jpg

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
You going to the THSCC Frozen Frenzy event at VIR at the end of Feb? They are using the Full course Sat and the Grand Course Sun. Good opportunity to drive the Grand Course.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You going to the THSCC Frozen Frenzy event at VIR at the end of Feb? They are using the Full course Sat and the Grand Course Sun. Good opportunity to drive the Grand Course.
Yep...I'll be there! Full course both days is what's listed though..
Screenshot_20230107_212259_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Thats a different event to what I was referring to. This one is run by Tarheel Sports Car Club, THSCC on Feb 25/26. But that's awesome that you are getting out on track again so soon.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thats a different event to what I was referring to. This one is run by Tarheel Sports Car Club, THSCC on Feb 25/26. But that's awesome that you are getting out on track again so soon.
Oh sorry saw the T...haha

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I decided after my morning coffee/before I get to work for the day to finally install the aluminum coolant flange I bought at Alpine Volks Fair last year from the fellow that makes them. "The Dad Wagon" has a good DIY video with all the info you need/answers your questions here:

https://youtu.be/v57SP1jOHT8

Pretty simple overall but my clamps were facing backwards/the turbo which made hose removal a total pain in the ass; I do have the clamp pliars for it which helps; I had to remove one of the coil packs to get a better angle on it. I also lost a lot of coolant from the hole this fitting sits in...more than I expected and I did have the rear raised up...maybe not enough (?). The old fitting was in fine shape, this was just more of a preventitive/why not thing/supporting someone's innovative work.

324082156_1224327968485364_2111939865912616773_n.jpg
324417005_760526252154812_7672623512988778203_n.jpg
324421205_2039457322930028_7977952863374576518_n.jpg
324513930_8543103232430196_6447559497120932805_n.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Quick review of something boring…cargo area/hatch organizers. I’ve tried several from Amazon and landed originally on the “Drive” one that is $25 with a bazillion reviews. Not a fan after ~6 mos. of use, doesn’t stay put even with straps, no top, and is somewhat flimsy. I now have landed on the Fortem model as my favorite ($33 for 2-compartment version, they have a 3 as well):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DTXSTZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Keeps all my road-trip stuff organized and covered and most importantly, it stays put and is sturdy! I did add 2 small 2” bungees from Amazon on the handles to help. Easy to unstrap and remove in less than a minute. I’ve tried putting it all under the floor but it’s not secure during 6g Top Gun turns and I hate having to remove the Weathertech protector and floor to get to it.

20230112_083219.jpg
20230112_083227.jpg
20230112_083237.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion