GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I need to consider anything else to upgrade ASAP?

sandman1979

I want to get a large group done at the same time and I am wondering:
Is there anything else I MUST upgrade ASAP in addition to the below? I will not have the $ to purchase anything else for some time and I need to know what I MUST get (via Credit Card instead of savings).

IS38 Turbo Upgrade
AWE Turbo back Touring Exhaust
APR Downpipe (Maybe Unitronic Instead?)
Unitronic Stage 2+ Coding

I've done the following small mods thus far.
Neuspeed Underdrive pulley
Turbo Outlet pipe and Turbo Muffler Delete
Turbo Inlet Pipe
CAI

Thanks for any help ya'll could give!

Brian

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
IMO, none of those are good. I seriously don't get why IS20 people upgrade to the IS38 (just like I never understood why K03 people would upgrade to the K03"S" or the K04. Utterly and totally a complete waste of money, not on the turbos which are good sure, but on the labor to install it, even if you do it yourself. Wait a few paychecks, get a much better turbo and be way happier). Makes no sense unless you get one for pennies on the dollar. Exhaust (besides DP) does nothing except additional sound, unless that is why you want it. The best thing you can do with your current mods would be get a JB4 or tune (off the shelf, or protune. Protune being far superior). Then just save money for a bit and then another bit, and then a little bit longer. After spending time with your car you will know what you want to do. Also spending time reading the forums will give you additional mods and paths to take.

sandman1979

I seriously don't get why IS20 people upgrade to the IS38 (just like I never understood why K03 people would upgrade to the K03"S" or the K04).
Wait a few paychecks, get a much better turbo and be way happier.

Ok, suggestions on which turbo route to go instead? Something that won't require a rework of my engine bay?
With those upgrades sounds like all 3 engine mounts might be good.
Also better tires. Summer tires in Texas. Try Firestone Indy 500.
Wider wheels. 18x8. Light weight. Under 19lb

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Intercooler. Looks like you have already done all the stuff you don't need.
I was apprehensive to make any significant changes until the car got a couple years under its belt

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Ok, suggestions on which turbo route to go instead? Something that won't require a rework of my engine bay?

There are no turbo options for our engines that require a rework of the engine bay, due to the fact the exhaust manifold (most important part of a turbo upgrade) is integrated into the head of the engine.

Here is a giant thread about it.

Aftermarket Turbo Options

I suggest doing research and looking in the Engine/Drivetrain/Exhaust/Tune section of the thread.

Edit: Hahaha said intake instead of exhaust, doh.

Last edited:

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
Honestly you dont need anything. Why? Because you're going to put it on a credit card. Save your money and add on as you go, that interest rate is going to double the cost of the parts. I'm not trying to lecture you, but you need to live within your means.

Besides, your going to add all that stuff and need a new clutch and that's $1200+

If you cant afford to buy it with cash right now you need to wait cus things that come up are going to ruin you

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I don’t think putting mods on a credit card is a good idea ever, but in order of importance/value per dollar:

Dog bone insert or all three mounts (BFI is the only way to go IMO)

Intercooler upgrade

Downpipe

Tune or JB4 (consider future mods and warranty). Uni is the worst bang for your buck IMO, JB4 is the best budget minded especially since you can keep the warranty, Cobb or Mastro will allow easy growth in the future, and APR is the best set it and forget it IMO. They tune more cars than the sum of all other competitors 10:1. My car is APR stage 2 with 62k on the clock and never had a single issue...apr since it’s first oil change

RS7 or other spark plugs one step colder than stock once the car is 100hp over stock. New set every 10k miles...cheap insurance against pre ignition and a rod hanging out the side of the block. While not common, hot climates make it more likely

As mentioned (kinda) before the exhaust manifold is part of the cylinder head. All of our turbo upgrades bolt right up and is38 is the cheapest although I’d focus on laying the ground work first.

Also no clue if you’re dsg or manual but you’ll need a TCU tune or clutch with any notable power increase

Also, read this for some input on what you don’t NEED to make power https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
As mentioned (kinda) before the exhaust manifold is part of the cylinder head. All of our turbo upgrades bolt right up and is38 is the cheapest although I’d focus on laying the ground work first.

Coulda just said "as I assume Wrath meant". I type extremely fast and really don't pay too much attention. Too busy watching youtube videos :p . Just giving you a hard time, thanks for making me re-read what I posted. /palmface

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Coulda just said "as I assume Wrath meant" I type extremely fast and really don't pay too much attention. Too busy watching youtube videos :p . Just giving you a hard time, thanks for making me re-read what I posted. :palmface:

Idiot...lol jk, I knew exactly what you meant just wanted to steer his pending fact checking of all the stuff we rambled off. If you read anything I write look at the bottom it almost always says “edited” at the bottom cuz I type like a potato haha

I’d hate to see him spend 2k on parts he doesn’t need just to heat soak after

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Idiot...lol jk, I knew exactly what you meant just wanted to steer his pending fact checking of all the stuff we rambled off. If you read anything I write look at the bottom it almost always says “edited” at the bottom cuz I type like a potato haha

I’d hate to see him spend 2k on parts he doesn’t need just to heat soak after

I wanted to reply with "psh what are you talking about, intakes are totally worth it", but you are right, we don't want to steer the OP wrong and with his plans, will def need an intercooler upgrade.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wanted to reply with "psh what are you talking about, intakes are totally worth it", but you are right, we don't want to steer the OP wrong and with his plans, will def need an intercooler upgrade.

I hope he does all the supporting mods before pulling the trigger on is38, the is20 has more potential than people realize for sure

My car isn’t anything special and traps 111mph in 98* heat. That’s plenty to hurt v8 car feelings and smile like an idiot on your daily commute (I do anyway lol)