GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do i need exhaust brace?

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
As the title says, Do i need the exhaust brace? I installed a IE downpipe and there is no possible way to put these brace back on since the ie dp sits lower then the stock dp(not sure if this is normal or if the stop installed it incorrectly). Both braces wont fit since the awe track touches the rear one and the downpipe touches the front one.
10-GTI-DP-Installed1.JPG

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Im just curious to know if this provides any structural rigidity or is it purely to keep the exhaust from hitting the floor

Wizzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Is the downpipe sitting that low any cause for concern? I tried searching online and no one seems the have this issue.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
I find it highly unlikely....IE...made the downpipe to have interference with stock tunnel braces.... 🤷‍♂️

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I have the same DP and no such interference issues. There should be plenty of clearance there. Check to see if the shop bothered to put in the bolts on the bracket that holds the DP to the back of the block, near the bottom of the cat. If that's not lined up, the DP isn't lined up.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
can't guarantee 100% fitment once you twist and push it around to make your aftermarket catback line up
Never had a issue with any AWE brand exhaust pieces fitting....

inclined to believe this is a more a hairless ape...installation issue...

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
if he were just using AWE pieces then sure
Any two pieces "designed" to have a connection to the stock mid exhaust sleeve clamp...should fit with minimal effort...which both the AWE and IE say they are designed to do or include/sell adapters for. The issue being "had" in the thread is either one of the pieces is outside manufacturing tolerances(possible)...or an install issue (more probable and most likely). Hopefully something like installing a AWD DP on a GTI is not what is playing out on here... 🤷‍♂️ ...only so many possibilities of wrong exist...causing whatever issues this is...

Considering the picture is of a late model mk5(stamped steel control arms, aluminum sub, and the rear LCA bushing design....) or mk6 GTI undercarriage...mk6 if you press me on a guess...I again... 🤷‍♂️...can only speculate....on how much general "understanding"exist of the issue they are having is.

But the should I just remove or run without the braces....should not be an "acceptable" answer or premise(IMO), but it's their car, and they are asking for internet wisdom...end of the day...they can do what they want.

They can either commit the time/money to fixing the issue, or ignore the problem and remove the braces, but if they are accepting the easy way solution of just removing them..."modding" in the future passed a simple stage 1 software tune should be a avoided...leave the car alone passed normal maintenance, but I'm just an NPC on the internet.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Any two pieces "designed" to have a connection to the stock mid exhaust sleeve clamp...should fit with minimal effort...which both the AWE and IE say they are designed to do or include/sell adapters for. The issue being "had" in the thread is either one of the pieces is outside manufacturing tolerances(possible)...or an install issue (more probable and most likely). Hopefully something like installing a AWD DP on a GTI is not what is playing out on here... 🤷‍♂️ ...only so many possibilities of wrong exist...causing whatever issues this is...

Considering the picture is of a late model mk5(stamped steel control arms, aluminum sub, and the rear LCA bushing design....) or mk6 GTI undercarriage...mk6 if you press me on a guess...I again... 🤷‍♂️...can only speculate....on how much general "understanding"exist of the issue they are having is.

But the should I just remove or run without the braces....should not be an "acceptable" answer or premise(IMO), but it's their car, and they are asking for internet wisdom...end of the day...they can do what they want.

They can either commit the time/money to fixing the issue, or ignore the problem and remove the braces, but if they are accepting the easy way solution of just removing them..."modding" in the future passed a simple stage 1 software tune should be a avoided...leave the car alone passed normal maintenance, but I'm just an NPC on the internet.
i can tell you have lots of experience with aftermarket parts.
what's the picture got to do with anything? obviously it's a stock photo.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Considering the poster has had(other install) issues with his shop damaging 4 rims and now an exhaust install issue, if they are the same shop....time to explore other options. IMO

Last edited: