GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do Golf R/GTI's "fall apart" as they get older?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Mk4s and the plastics used are really when VWs got the wrap for falling apart after xx years, ask anyone whose had one for over 100k or it was 10 years old - unless you had it indoors only and barely used it, everyone the Interior had broken handles and center console,air vents etc, lol.

Also the whole “crayon smell” that people claim about vws came from that era also, lol.

First none air cooled VW I ever “worked” on was in high school and it was my former (thank god) wives car... 95 Jetta I remember you coundnt even get oil filters for that car from a regular parts store at that time! Hence why you still hear it thrown around on the Internet today that “vws are expensive to fix and find the parts” lol, even though now with the mqb running accord soo many platforms that’s pretty far from the truth.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Mk4s and the plastics used are really when VWs got the wrap for falling apart after xx years, ask anyone whose had one for over 100k or it was 10 years old - unless you had it indoors only and barely used it, everyone the Interior had broken handles and center console,air vents etc, lol.
My mk4 was traded in with a glovebox door that had to be sawzalled open. I went to open the glovebox one day and the handle you pull to open it just snapped right off. I was able to remove the handle and continue to open the glovebox as I could still reach the mechanism inside to unlock it. Until one day the parts inside the door broke apart causing the glovebox to remain shut for good. I left it like that for a bit and then I had to do some work on the car which involved taking the wheels off. I thought my wheel lock was inside the glove box, so I had my dad grab his sawzall and he tore that shit apart until we could open it. Turns out the wheel lock was not in there too. When the dealer got my car the glovebox wouldn't even shut anymore, and the front side of the door was a bunch of torn apart plastic and metal. You risked cutting up your knees sitting in that seat. lol

The cupholders above the radio/climatronic was also one of the worst ideas ever. They were the shittiest cupholders you could imagine and then they made it worse by putting it above your electronics. The buttons on my climatronic were so gunked up you couldn't even press them in anymore.

My mk6 had a failing headliner within the first 3 years and then a few years later the soft touch began melting just like my mk4s interior. When I redid the headliner I had to replace every single clip and the sunglass holder because every piece of plastic I had to touch ended up breaking. I thought they'd do things better with the mk6, but honestly it had some of the same issues.

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

Also the whole “crayon smell” that people claim about vws came from that era also, lol.

First none air cooled VW I ever “worked” on was in high school and it was my former (thank god) wives car... 95 Jetta I remember you coundnt even get oil filters for that car from a regular parts store at that time! Hence why you still hear it thrown around on the Internet today that “vws are expensive to fix and find the parts” lol, even though now with the mqb running accord soo many platforms that’s pretty far from the truth.

Definitely pretty far from the truth these days. I mean all cars are expensive to fix. My friend had to get a motor mount replaced on his 2008 Civic and it cost like $500, and it was JUST the motor mount (not motor + trans)