GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DKM Twin Disk Clutch

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have about 200 miles on my DKM, so I'm still breaking it in. When I first stepped on the clutch pedal, I thought "oh no, what did I do." First 100 miles were pretty heavy, but the clutch is easing up some. Still very noticeably heavier than stock, but we'll see how it feels after break in.

While it seems the TOB issue has been cleared up with DKM, through my own opinion and my mechanic's recommendation, I used the metal Mk6 TOB. A full metal, single piece TOB just seems to be one less possible point of failure. I also had the fluidampr installed at the same time. Like other people are reporting, very little chatter, and has decreased even more as I progress through break in miles. Clutch grabs and overall I'm very happy with this clutch especially if the pedal continues to get a little lighter.

Also, filled with Motul gear 300. So far, it seems the tranny is happy with it.

I have two small complaints about the clutch. The first is, the clutch judders from a stop. It's strange, if I'm rolling forward at all, even 1/10mph, there's no judder and it's smooth. I've seen other people on here report similar issues and recommend being a little more aggressive on clutch engagement, so I'm hoping I just need to learn this clutch.
The second is, the twin disk generates a lot more cabin noise. Granted, I had engine/tranny/dogbone mounts along with an exhaust installed at the same time. So, it's tough, if not impossible, to pinpoint whether the clutch is significantly louder or a combination of that with more NVH through the mounts. It's not loud enough to be an issue with the radio on, but the "luxuriousness" of the golf interior has declined. Again, not a big issue, but noticeable.

Keep me posted on the break in! I’m gonna see exactly which TOB is included in the kit and I’ll post pic/part number here, I wasn’t aware you could use a mk6 metal TOB that’s interesting. Also what exactly do you mean by clutch Judder? Would that be a symptom of the stiffer mounts? Regardless, glad you’re rocking the same clutch brother!

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Keep me posted on the break in! I’m gonna see exactly which TOB is included in the kit and I’ll post pic/part number here, I wasn’t aware you could use a mk6 metal TOB that’s interesting. Also what exactly do you mean by clutch Judder? Would that be a symptom of the stiffer mounts? Regardless, glad you’re rocking the same clutch brother!

Shudder when taking off from a stop with moderate throttle. I experience this as well but also have BFI S1 transmission and motor mount couple with 034 upper and lower Dogbone inserts. If you modulate the throttle correctly with clutch engagement you can mitigate shudder. I look at it like this; It's not a typical commuter anymore, it's a 450 whp commuter. It comes with the territory.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
If you have a newer kit, it's probably the LUK TOB, which I don't remember any posts about issues with. I'm probably on the even more conservative end, and I see the 2 piece (same style as OEM MK7) as a potential leak/failure point. This is what I used, sorry they don't post the VAG part #, but I'm sure it's not hard to find. Is it overkill? most likely. Is the $140 worth the piece of mind for me? yes.

As escape hatch posted, clutch judder is a shaking of the car when starting from a stop. It's the alternation of grip/slip as you're releasing the clutch, which causes the car to shake or vibrate. It's gotten less as I've continued through break in (~280 miles now). Stiffer engine mounts don't help the issue, since more of that vibration gets transferred into the chassis. I have the full SuperPro engine mount kit installed.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
68A7B4DA-27C0-4096-8A22-D5FDE3389401.jpeg
E6AF974C-DF1F-4124-8A13-6EAF28C8937E.jpeg
C446BE7F-DDDA-45C0-B63F-9411266519D0.jpeg

Received my clutch today, everything was packaged very nicely and bolts labeled with torque specs. The TOB included in the kit has DKM labeled right on it and is made of metal👍🏼Very excited for the install!

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Yep! thats the new TOB. Enjoy my guy. Its super fun for sure.

I have full mounts n shit so yea my car shakes quite a bit!

Forgot i had that!

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I literally just finished my install of all that same exact stuff (DKM, iABED, ect) this past weekend. Bring a buddy and a lift to make it easy. I did it as a one man show and it took me four days (not working full time) to get it done. Also, make sure you have the right tool to remove the screw from the VAQ axle flange (1/4" drive 6mm hex w/ long extension) so you don't have to waste a couple hours looking for one.

This clutch is super stiff to start but I can already feel it loosening up after a couple of days of use. Since I have been babying my stage 2 due to clutch slippage, this has been a breath of fresh air having a working clutch.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I literally just finished my install of all that same exact stuff (DKM, iABED, ect) this past weekend. Bring a buddy and a lift to make it easy. I did it as a one man show and it took me four days (not working full time) to get it done. Also, make sure you have the right tool to remove the screw from the VAQ axle flange (1/4" drive 6mm hex w/ long extension) so you don't have to waste a couple hours looking for one.

This clutch is super stiff to start but I can already feel it loosening up after a couple of days of use. Since I have been babying my stage 2 due to clutch slippage, this has been a breath of fresh air having a working clutch.

Yeah I’m gonna do the install with my friend at his shop on a lift, so pretty happy about that. Just driving around regularly in the break in period, it’s a night and day difference how the clutch grabs? Did you also install a Fluidampr?

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah I’m gonna do the install with my friend at his shop on a lift, so pretty happy about that. Just driving around regularly in the break in period, it’s a night and day difference how the clutch grabs? Did you also install a Fluidampr?

Yes, just driving around easy during the break in period. Absolute difference from the stock clutch, this clutch seems to grab and not want to let go. And the stiffness to push it in gets better everyday, it’s been a week and starting to feel a lot nicer. The engagment point is still low, I hope that moves up some so I don’t have to keep pushing the clutch all the way to the floor.

I added the Fluidampr as well. It’s helps with the overall noise of the SMF. Once the engine has been running, I can’t tell a real difference in NVH unless the AC is on. Then you can really hear the engine at idle, sort of like a diesel.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Yes, just driving around easy during the break in period. Absolute difference from the stock clutch, this clutch seems to grab and not want to let go. And the stiffness to push it in gets better everyday, it’s been a week and starting to feel a lot nicer. The engagment point is still low, I hope that moves up some so I don’t have to keep pushing the clutch all the way to the floor.

I added the Fluidampr as well. It’s helps with the overall noise of the SMF. Once the engine has been running, I can’t tell a real difference in NVH unless the AC is on. Then you can really hear the engine at idle, sort of like a diesel.

That’s good to hear man, maybe the engagement point will slowly get higher or you’ll just get used to it. Can’t wait for mine!

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

DKM told me "rev match downshift or engine brake is not recommendable during this period." Just to add to driving around easy.