GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DKM Twin Disk Clutch

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I just purchased the DKM Twin Disk clutch and iabed RMS to install next weekend. For the guys that have this clutch how do you like it? I’ve seen some YouTube videos with good reviews on it. I’m EQT stage 2 and my clutch has been slipping, the time has finally come to upgrade lol.

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I've had it for a couple of years now and love it! The abuse that I have given it, it takes it with ease. Your first 500 - 1000 miles your pedal is going to give you a leg workout but after it's broken in, it's just like the stock clutch. Also, I highly recommend getting a Fluidampr put on as it will reduce a lot of the chatter that you will get from a SMFW.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Post what you think about it. I also second the Fluidampr as it will reduce a lot of the chatter.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I've had it for a couple of years now and love it! The abuse that I have given it, it takes it with ease. Your first 500 - 1000 miles your pedal is going to give you a leg workout but after it's broken in, it's just like the stock clutch. Also, I highly recommend getting a Fluidampr put on as it will reduce a lot of the chatter that you will get from a SMFW.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you’re enjoying it! Will definitely look into a fluiddampr. Also, what trans fluid are you using?

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Can comment on DKM MS clutch as I have had it in for more than 20k miles. Great clutch, great engagement, chatter is only an issue with AC on. Installed with iAbed RMS and Fluidampr and at the same time. If you have the cash for the Fluidampr I highly recommend it, smoother climber in the RPMs.

Alex MK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Can comment on DKM MS clutch as I have had it in for more than 20k miles. Great clutch, great engagement, chatter is only an issue with AC on. Installed with iAbed RMS and Fluidampr and at the same time. If you have the cash for the Fluidampr I highly recommend it, smoother climber in the RPMs.

Thats great to hear, looking forward to the install! Yeah looks like I’ll have to get that fluidampr lol

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I have about 200 miles on my DKM, so I'm still breaking it in. When I first stepped on the clutch pedal, I thought "oh no, what did I do." First 100 miles were pretty heavy, but the clutch is easing up some. Still very noticeably heavier than stock, but we'll see how it feels after break in.

While it seems the TOB issue has been cleared up with DKM, through my own opinion and my mechanic's recommendation, I used the metal Mk6 TOB. A full metal, single piece TOB just seems to be one less possible point of failure. I also had the fluidampr installed at the same time. Like other people are reporting, very little chatter, and has decreased even more as I progress through break in miles. Clutch grabs and overall I'm very happy with this clutch especially if the pedal continues to get a little lighter.

Also, filled with Motul gear 300. So far, it seems the tranny is happy with it.

I have two small complaints about the clutch. The first is, the clutch judders from a stop. It's strange, if I'm rolling forward at all, even 1/10mph, there's no judder and it's smooth. I've seen other people on here report similar issues and recommend being a little more aggressive on clutch engagement, so I'm hoping I just need to learn this clutch.
The second is, the twin disk generates a lot more cabin noise. Granted, I had engine/tranny/dogbone mounts along with an exhaust installed at the same time. So, it's tough, if not impossible, to pinpoint whether the clutch is significantly louder or a combination of that with more NVH through the mounts. It's not loud enough to be an issue with the radio on, but the "luxuriousness" of the golf interior has declined. Again, not a big issue, but noticeable.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I run the DKM MR clutch, I also do quite a bit of competition in time attack/HPDE

It's not the most fun at low speeds, stop signs, etc but its amazing at speed. The MR is a heavy duty race version so that's to be expected. Good to 600ftlbs with a nice metal TOB.

I personally love it. I've been through 4 different clutches and this one is amazing for what I'm asking from it

I use Liqui Moly 75-90w fluid, I hated the motul, I couldn't get the feeling I wanted from it on track. LM has been in for 2 seasons now with zero complaints.

My car also is FBO, all mounts, and clutch line, bleederblock, spring removal, and a short clutch stop.

I don't have a fluidampner because I haven't seen the point really. I'm not well versed on the product either. For me the chatter/noise is a necessary evil, the more I can hear my car doing the better I can diagnose anything going wrong!

When you do the swap buy a rear main seal gasket. If yours has any leak or wetness its better to swap now than later!

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
When you guys are saying twin disk are you guys referring to the MB series or the MS series? I've been eyeing the "stage 2" MB kit for a bit now

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
When you guys are saying twin disk are you guys referring to the MB series or the MS series? I've been eyeing the "stage 2" MB kit for a bit now
The MB is not a twin disk, just a SMF like the MA

MS and MR are twin disk.

I always tell people to get the highest rated clutch you can handle/pay for. It pays for itself in the long run really.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
The MB is not a twin disk, just a SMF like the MA

MS and MR are twin disk.

I always tell people to get the highest rated clutch you can handle/pay for. It pays for itself in the long run really.

Ok thanks! I know about all the horror stories (some true and some not, don't worry I'm not buying into them) about the twin disks and crank walk or whatever. My plan is 400 tq and I don't really care for anything more than that so I was thinking the MB would be ideal and a little more friendly because most of my driving is daily commute

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Ok thanks! I know about all the horror stories (some true and some not, don't worry I'm not buying into them) about the twin disks and crank walk or whatever. My plan is 400 tq and I don't really care for anything more than that so I was thinking the MB would be ideal and a little more friendly because most of my driving is daily commute

New Rear main seal makes a huge difference in this. And it’s easily accessible when changing the clutch.