GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Just had mine fail after 2 years and 20k miles. At first it became extremely difficult to get into gear. I could tell the clutch wasn't fully disengaging when the pedal was depressed. That lasted for about a week until one night the TOB began absolutely screaming. I parked the car and ordered up a new Luk TOB thinking the originally installed one may have been the FTE unit. Pulled trans out and sure enough, I found the FTE unit completely separated into 3 pieces on the input shaft.

The clutch itself, without complete disassembly didn't appear to have any issues. In with the Luk TOB and trans goes back in. Guess what...same TOB screaming issue.

Trans comes back out and I remove clutch to inspect. Very surprised to see a couple serious issues. First, the two intermediates plate had completely seized up on the guide pin. See the left two guide pins with the clutch in the released position with the pin on the right still in the compressed position.

No wonder the TOB destroyed itself. It was applying pressure unevenly on the pressure plate which also explains why I couldn't get into gear. Diving a little deeper, I inspect the problem guide pin to see that the spacer washers had begun eating into the pin material causing the hang up.

Some serious wrenching on it with a pry bar and I was able to get the clutch to release. During the inspection of friction disks, I identify failure point #2. The rear friction disk hub spline had been 2/3 eaten away by the end of the trans input shaft. The disk itself, due to poor design, was never 100% engaging the input shaft spline. When the clutch is released, the disk is sliding even further if not completely off the input shaft causing its own destruction.

Thank goodness the input shaft itself was relatively unscathed otherwise I'd be raising some serious hell. I provided all of this information to DKM support with no expectation of any response. Fortunately they did respond and asked that I send them the clutch for inspection although it is out of warranty at this point. Given how big of a disaster the install of this clutch was initially with 4 trans removals by the installing shop and incorrect parts sent with kit, they did cover under warranty. They also admitted that the FTE has since been replaced as we know and they have also redesigned the rear friction disk hub due to the issue being reported by not only myself.

At any rate, I will not being putting a DKM product back in my car. It has caused way too many headaches. Poor materials, wrong parts, bad design etc. I elected to go with an Xclutch and have been very happy with it thus far. Fingers crossed it lasts longer than 20k like the last 2 clutches.

Dang man sorry about your issues. This isn't really what i wanted to see right after installing mine.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
As someone with an older kit but not the FTE TOB (had one but first kit was replaced as a whole with the updated LUK TOB).. The rear disk spline issues are a bit concerning. I'm at 20k miles on the current kit and no issues currently so I'm not going to worry too much and deal with it when that time comes if it does.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
As someone with an older kit but not the FTE TOB (had one but first kit was replaced as a whole with the updated LUK TOB).. The rear disk spline issues are a bit concerning. I'm at 20k miles on the current kit and no issues currently so I'm not going to worry too much and deal with it when that time comes if it does.

I’m planning to pull my transmission this fall/winter to do an LSD, so I’ll update you guys on the AFT disk spline then. Should have close to 50k miles on the kit at that point

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Dang man sorry about your issues. This isn't really what i wanted to see right after installing mine.
DMK Revised the design on the hub so the spline sits further on the input shaft and is fully engaged at all times supposedly. I'm not sure how long ago the revision was made but if you have one of the more recent kits, you should be fine.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The one thing I couldn't get an answer to from DKM support was the concern with the guide pin being chewed up by the spacers. They didn't mention seeing any other instances of this or that there was any revision made. Any TOB, FTE or not, would have killed itself if the clutch got locked up on one of the pins like that. Choice of pin material looks to be the culprit. I'd be interested if this has or will ever happen to anyone else.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
So far this year my car has eaten the OEM TOB (re-used on initial install) and as of yesterday is suspected to have done the same to the one included with the DKM kit (replaced the OEM in June). The DKM model was all metal so I thought I was good to go, but perhaps not. Won't know for sure until the transmission is dropped. In the meantime, is there a final word on safe TOB options at this point?

OEM lasted roughly 50k
DKM lasted roughly 10k (assuming this is the problem)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So far this year my car has eaten the OEM TOB (re-used on initial install) and as of yesterday is suspected to have done the same to the one included with the DKM kit (replaced the OEM in June). The DKM model was all metal so I thought I was good to go, but perhaps not. Won't know for sure until the transmission is dropped. In the meantime, is there a final word on safe TOB options at this point?

OEM lasted roughly 50k

I’m at 96,000 on my original TOB and 47,000 on the DKM clutch.

I’m curious if the root cause is also the second disk hub and pins like IceBerg?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I wasn't able to be present for the repair in June unfortunately. The pin issue had crossed my mind though. Hoping to get another swap lined up soon and be there for this one.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

OEM lasted roughly 50k
Clutch masters looks to have a very robust option.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Clut...e_q-ftSyifGbxsvT3lYfEkfErhxHdkmsaAvt3EALw_wcB

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Well, it wasn't the bearing this time...

I got the full dose with this clutch. Killed the OEM TOB in June, pressure plate screws backed out and scored the housing, lack of spline engagement ate the disk hub, input shaft wear as a result, and guide rod washers eating the rods (and bending them) causing the clutch to lock up.

IMG_20201111_154145.jpg

IMG_20201111_154148.jpg

IMG_20201111_154158.jpg

IMG_20201111_154232.jpg

IMG_20201111_154330.jpg

IMG_20201111_154702.jpg

IMG_20201111_154017.jpg

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Well, it wasn't the bearing this time...

I got the full dose with this clutch. Killed the OEM TOB in June, pressure plate screws backed out and scored the housing, lack of spline engagement ate the disk hub, input shaft wear as a result, and guide rod washers eating the rods (and bending them) causing the clutch to lock up.

Damn that looks bad. I did notice you dont have the 1 piece all metal TOB. Also i wonder if all of this is the result of the half engagement it appears your clutch is doing. There does seem to be alot of issues with this clutch, i just hope i did everything correctly to where mine lasts. Too late for me to look back now, not doing it again unless i have to.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Damn that looks bad. I did notice you dont have the 1 piece all metal TOB.

The TOB in the picture is the FTE that came with the clutch originally and was installed in June after the OEM failed. Don't worry, it's not staying on the car. To be honest I forgot about the reports on here about it being an issue which is why we used it at all. I have a new LUK on hand which I ordered last week assuming the TOB was the issue again.

I spent three hours yesterday re-reading this thread and researching clutches. Ordered a South Bend.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
The TOB in the picture is the FTE that came with the clutch originally and was installed in June after the OEM failed. Don't worry, it's not staying on the car. To be honest I forgot about the reports on here about it being an issue which is why we used it at all. I have a new LUK on hand which I ordered last week assuming the TOB was the issue again.

I spent three hours yesterday re-reading this thread and researching clutches. Ordered a South Bend.
I don't blame you at this point