GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DKM Stage 2 Clutch?

James740

Car(s)
17' MK7 6SP M/T
Status update! 300 miles on my new DKM Stage 2 clutch, bleeder valve delete, rear seal re-done, 034 dog bone mount also installed. Result, there is clutch chatter, which has improved already as I break in the clutch, and its already lighter than when it was first installed. Gear changes are crisp and clear, and much less slop in the gear change. I've yet to go over 3,000 rpms, but I'm very happy so far

SomeAircraftMech

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
Thought I'd revive this thread! I got my DKM Stage 2 Clutch installed last week and I have almost 500 miles on them. It was installed along with Fluidampr, iAbed RMS, ECS Clutch line (w/ swirl valve delete). My experience might be different from someone who gets just the clutch installed. Some pics here

The reason why I went Stage 2 is honestly because of cost, and the torque rating is more than I'll probably ever need. I've checked with DKM and have had some e-mail exchanges with them, saying the figures are rated to the wheels so I decided to go with stage 2 instead of the twin disk.

First impressions: HEAVY! The clutch was pretty damn heavy and grabbed hard, especially compared to stock! I haven't driven many other manual cars so it might not bother you. It was a bit annoying at first but you get used to it fairly quickly (I had to! Busy downtown traffic). Clutch engagement point was a bit annoying too, but not too hard to modulate. Haven't stalled it yet ;)

The revs drop much faster now, probably because SMFW, so it was a joy to rev-match. Even with the clutch new and heavy, it was very easy to rev-match (not 5-6k RPM downshifts.. just 2-2.5k lol.)

Chatter... yep. I've never had a car with SMFW, and oh man... chatter was loud at idle! Even louder with AC on. Do note that I have Fluidampr too. Chatter isn't noticeable when you're moving, but when windows are down and at idle, it's loud even w/ the AC off.

--

450 miles in: Love it! The clutch has gotten significantly lighter, only a little bit stiffer compared to stock. Feels much better than stock, which always felt vague to me when engaging the clutch.

Chatter has subsided a lot, I don't even notice it half the time to be honest. I'm guessing it'll be less audible the more miles I put on the car. With the windows up and radio on, you'd hardly notice. I do hear some chatter at low rpm when you're picking up speed. I'm guessing that's just how a single-mass flywheel sounds like. Doesn't seem abnormal to me...

DKM recommended that I do a 500 mile break-in but I might just take it easy until 1k... just in case.

Hey bro,
Just did the same install took me a day and a half worst part was drivers side driveshaft bolts haha, but you had mentioned the clutch engagement point.. was it super low to the floor? Because thats how mine is even after i double bled it? And did the catch point move up off the floor a little bit because its driving me crazy, its like driving a fox body mustang? But it DOES grab quick, only got 16 miles on it.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Loved my DKM Stage 2 for 30k miles, but just had my thrust bearing fail on me.. Don't think you can really blame the clutch but I'm guessing the stiffer pressure plate worsens the problem with thrust bearings.

WindyBoi

Loved my DKM Stage 2 for 30k miles, but just had my thrust bearing fail on me.. Don't think you can really blame the clutch but I'm guessing the stiffer pressure plate worsens the problem with thrust bearings.

ooff, I am installing my DKM Stage 2 this weekend. Super nervous about it because of the thrust bearing issues that seem to happen, plus the chatter.

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
The noise you get use too and for the thrust bearing, i have heard a few cases but not sure how they treated their car. You'll be fine if you don't abuse it and drop the clutch all the time.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'12 Autobahn 2Dr 6mt
Currently in the market for a clutch and I'm about to pull the trigger on DKM now that ECS has them 10% off.

The thrust bearing concerns me, would this be fixed by using the metal version instead of plastic? How exactly are they failing? I definitely do not plan on having this process done more than once, the shops around me are charging a pretty penny for labor. I appreciate any insight you guys might have, there's not a whole lot covering DKM.

Currently just Cobb stage 1 high boost but plan on pushing the car with a protune and maybe an F23T.

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
I see lots of talks about breakin but few over longevity...

I'm heavily debating trading-in my manual Rabbit for a DSG one(used hopefully...) because of the stock clutch power issue and those with upgraded clutch other than the TTRS, many seem to end up with bearing issues.

Anyone has 30k+ miles done on a DKM twin disk?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I see lots of talks about breakin but few over longevity...

I'm heavily debating trading-in my manual Rabbit for a DSG one(used hopefully...) because of the stock clutch power issue and those with upgraded clutch other than the TTRS, many seem to end up with bearing issues.

Anyone has 30k+ miles done on a DKM twin disk?

Yes, I believe GTI Jake does and I have over 20k miles on one.

Greasyjonny

Passed Driver's Ed
Digging up an old thread. I’m seeing lots of people talk about pairing the fluidamper with the stage 2 DKM. And I’m scratching my head, at that point why not just go stage 3 twin disk at that point, no? Has thrust washer issue been resolved?

WindyBoi

Im at around 400ish miles on my DKM Stage 2. Im getting some odd noises I wasnt expecting. When im in 4th gear, i get a whistling noise. But only in 4th gear. It goes away once I shift to any other gear. Coasting in 1st or 2nd gear around 3000rpms (foot off the pedal), also makes an odd noise. Ill have to get video of it making that noise. It wasnt the original sound of engine braking. It was a rough sound. Anyone else experience these noises?