GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Virtual Cockpit Retrofit MK7 (aliexpress version)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I wish it was. It’s actually the screw hole for the supplied hdmi cable. It screws in to further secure it. I’m working with the supplier to solve the issue.

If you have some kind of communication open with the supplier, do you want to ask them why the hell it shows it being able to have a large center tach view if it can't do it? That's deceptive as hell. I almost bought a second AliExpress digital dash to replace mine (probably this exact unit but from a different vendor), just to have that.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Looks good, great write up. One problem though.... i wanna see more of that Mini...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I read in one of these reviews that these don't dim with the car's brightness knob, is that the case here?

I'd be willing to bet probably not. Mine, is from a different vendor (EZ Retrofit), and it doesn't dim with the knob. You can change the brightness on unit itself, but the problem is that knob also dims all the interior lights, and you no longer have a way to dim things like the infotainment. The hardware for all these is probably from the same factory in China, so it'll probably be the same here.

mk7850

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I read in one of these reviews that these don't dim with the car's brightness knob, is that the case here?
Correct. You can set the brightness levels for day and night (I believe they run off the clock. So like 6pm it turns to night for the cluster) so you set the brightness levels for the two of them.

mk7850

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
These clusters are really good, but after installing this indicator, you didn't experience late work or not seeing the key, right? Honestly, i am using still original VC :)
I’m not entirely sure what any of this is? Could you reexplain so I can answer your question.

mk7850

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

Attachments

• D021F5B7-077C-428D-8DCA-03A5C1FFD6FA.jpeg
    D021F5B7-077C-428D-8DCA-03A5C1FFD6FA.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 90
  • E53DAB75-58D2-439B-9F44-5E8CBF59398D.jpeg
    E53DAB75-58D2-439B-9F44-5E8CBF59398D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 84

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@mk7850, which version did you buy specifically?

There is one that is listed "For Golf 7 12-20", and says "Fit gasoline version". I assume that's the one you bought?

1646018160706.png

There is another version that's about $30 more expensive, which is labeled "For Diesel golf 7", but says "Fits both Diesel and Gasoline version".

1646018223094.png

I messaged the seller, apparently that center tach view can be shown on that "diesel" version.

Really thinking about it, even though I initially planned on doing the OEM cluster in my R...

I really want that center tach view...

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
@mk7850, which version did you buy specifically?

There is one that is listed "For Golf 7 12-20", and says "Fit gasoline version". I assume that's the one you bought?

View attachment 240798

There is another version that's about $30 more expensive, which is labeled "For Diesel golf 7", but says "Fits both Diesel and Gasoline version".

View attachment 240800

I messaged the seller, apparently that center tach view can be shown on that "diesel" version.

Really thinking about it, even though I initially planned on doing the OEM cluster in my R...

I really want that center tach view...
I like the center Tac view as well. Did you end up buying one of these?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I like the center Tac view as well. Did you end up buying one of these?

I did. I bought the one labeled "For diesel golf 7" that said it worked with both diesel and gasoline cars.

It worked for the most part, and was dope. I really wanted to use it. But for whatever reason, it was causing me to have errors with my front assist sensors and drivers assistance package stuff. Adaptive cruise control, front assist, blind spot, etc... The seller really wasn't able to help or provide assistance, so I took it out before the free 15 day return period ended. I returned it, and retrofit the OEM digital dash.

Obviously, I can't guarantee anything, but I'd assume if you didn't have the front sensors or drivers assistance stuff, you should be able to use it without issue.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R