GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: OEM Lighting Package (AFS Bi-xenon) Retrofit

Dave1078

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
If you are saying you have halogen and just want HID with no AFS then you just need replica lights. That is just simple headlight swap and adjust. I discussed in article.

"Opinion: I definitely would not purchase the OEM lights if I was not interested in the AFS functionality. I would use Ed’s lights. Ed’s may not be as pretty when looked at from the engine bay, and are a little susceptible to vibration (tend to bounce more) and I prefer the softer edge of the light from the OEM. However, the LED blinker, double U DRL, cost and ease of install outweigh these minor quibbles. However, I am modifying for AFS as we want a smart light that changes position of light with pitch, steering and speed. Driving with AFS and cornering lights is pretty cool. I am easily amused, but I was absolutely giddy seeing the lights swing back to straight coming out of corner. In my opinion, having lights point where you are headed is vastly superior. Also, the cornering lights are quite useful. I will changing the bulb to something more white, a number of threads on this."

Bumping a very old thread.

If the cost of the OEM lights (parts) were the same, would you still choose to run the Ed's? I'm not terribly interested in AFS, but I am interested in OEM quality.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Bumping a very old thread.

If the cost of the OEM lights (parts) were the same, would you still choose to run the Ed's? I'm not terribly interested in AFS, but I am interested in OEM quality.

No, if the cost were the same I would not. The OEM lights are vastly superior from a it just works, no bounce, etc. However, changing the CANBUS which is what I had to do to get the pins for the shutter was a hassle (ODIS connection having someone with a FAZIK connection to align new CANBUS with my VIN). Also, I would likely just use 10 to 14 pin cable adapters rather then changing out connectors.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Bumping old thread.

I'm considering doing this conversion on my 17 Sportwagen. Has anyone had any luck recently sourcing headlights and modules for a decent price that are not the red stripe GTI?

Last edited:

mkca

Car(s)
Mk7
anyone know how this retrofit changes with the advent of the mk7.5 halogens with the led strip?

this thread is awesome but applies moreso to the mk7 gen

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
@George Ab how did you in the end enter the pins to SC 36 & 37 in fuse box? I am also stuck on this step

I used a fuse jumper, but did not jump another fuse, but found an unused slot and inserted in two spare mini slots. Another option is to use a straight blade terminal and put fuse inline. The photo shows a switch which you would not need. Couple photos for examples. It has been a couple years and I am good with it.

There is also doing it proper. This post provides an how to guide: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...cabin-fuse-box-in-a-couple-of-minutes.373501/

Attachments

• Power with release.jpg
    Power with release.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 170
  • power to Xenon.jpg
    power to Xenon.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_7763.JPG
    IMG_7763.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Jdsunrise

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf sportswagen
MIB1 to MIB2 was so much easier of a DIY. I had it all working; however, the headunit went bluescreen after 10 minutes. Returned bad unit and it will be Wednesday before salvage unit arrives. I will PM you an advanced copy of the post, and will publish late next week.
Hey George, quick question, if it’s not to much trouble, what would I have to do to put halogens on my 2016 golf with the bi-xenons? I Hate being a cheap ass, but I’ve had my 2016 Se sportwagen posted on all
The classifieds for 3 months and not a single inquiry, even though its priced at lower than kbb value, thus, I’m trading it in and taking a 3k depreciation hit in only 5 months of ownership. The dealership said that the ALP only adds a $100 of resale value, meanwhile they sell for $300 a piece used on Ebay and 1,300 new.I got an extra set of 2016 halogens for free, is it just one wiring harness and some coding to swap them in order to try and not lose so much money?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Hey George, quick question, if it’s not to much trouble, what would I have to do to put halogens on my 2016 golf with the bi-xenons? I Hate being a cheap ass, but I’ve had my 2016 Se sportwagen posted on all
The classifieds for 3 months and not a single inquiry, even though its priced at lower than kbb value, thus, I’m trading it in and taking a 3k depreciation hit in only 5 months of ownership. The dealership said that the ALP only adds a $100 of resale value, meanwhile they sell for $300 a piece used on Ebay and 1,300 new.I got an extra set of 2016 halogens for free, is it just one wiring harness and some coding to swap them in order to try and not lose so much money?

Yes, wire harness and a whole bunch of coding. Essentially, what I did in reverse. Understood, LP may only add $100 to price, but may turn off some buyers to not have LP. If I was a buyer and looked at VIN and saw it came with LP and had halogen, I would run. Now that I have had LP I would not own it any other way.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If I was a buyer and looked at VIN and saw it came with LP and had halogen, I would run.

Exactly....the car should be as per factory PR codes or have more..not less!

PR codes are printed on the big sticker on the boot floor metalwork under the carpet near the hatch...or available via the VW computer from your local dealer as stored against the cars VIN...

mkca

Car(s)
Mk7
Successfully did this retrofit— a couple of steps in OP were either missing or not quite clear. Coding vis a professional coder was a necessity for me.

will elaborate in a couple weeks

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
In the initial post, the part number for the AFS modules for the headlights is incorrect. The picture shows a different module.

Kuzya

Car(s)
2017 Sportwagon 4mo
I'm Currently in the middle of retrofitting the lights, actually stuck with coding as my golf is slightly different 2017 pre facelift GSW 4mo, my BCM doesn't have long coding. Also as said in first post use it as reference. @George Ab Thank you for the detailed writeup!

Last edited: