GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: OEM Lighting Package (AFS Bi-xenon) Retrofit

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Question, and I apologize if this has already been answered. Or maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Is it possible to retrofit OEM LP or Golf R headlights WITHOUT HID's into a non LP model? I'm only interested in the LED DRL. Thanks in advanced.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Question, and I apologize if this has already been answered. Or maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Is it possible to retrofit OEM LP or Golf R headlights WITHOUT HID's into a non LP model? I'm only interested in the LED DRL. Thanks in advanced.

Sorry, what do you mean by "without HIDs"? Do you mean retrofit just the headlight housing and the control module for the DRLs and nothing else?

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Sorry, what do you mean by "without HIDs"? Do you mean retrofit just the headlight housing and the control module for the DRLs and nothing else?

That is correct, I apologize about the confusion. I'm not wanting to retrofit the Bixenons, but just the DRL housings themselves.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
That is correct, I apologize about the confusion. I'm not wanting to retrofit the Bixenons, but just the DRL housings themselves.

Just for the cost of the OEM Headlight housing, I think it would be better for you to just get Aftermarket replica headlights. Easier to install onto a non-LP car, much cheaper, actually has functioning lights, and plenty of options (1 DRL or 2 like R, different colored stripe or no stripe). Ed's and Helix are the most popular ones I believe.

If you still want to go the OEM route, this thread would be your guide. However, I don't think you can just do the housing and DRL control module. You need to do the rest of the harness/wiring and the other parts.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
My OEM GTI bixenon headlights are for sale.

They come with housing that are gtechniq crystal serum coated (new condition)
OEM bixenon bulbs
AFS modules
LED turn signals + OEM halogen turn signals

PM if interested.

BrilliantList

Hello, I have done this conversion using this guide and am having one problem. My car is a 2017 Golf Alltrack US version with European spec headlamps (5G1941033/4). The headlamps I got part numbers using the vin of a European spec Golf Alltrack. I installed and all went well, but the only problem I have no working high beams. I tested the line and found the xenon shutter is functioning and that my headlamps are missing pin 11. There must be a way for the xenon shutter to work on these and I sure would prefer to not have to get new headlamps. Any ideas or suggestions from anyone? Many thanks!

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Hello, I have done this conversion using this guide and am having one problem. My car is a 2017 Golf Alltrack US version with European spec headlamps (5G1941033/4). The headlamps I got part numbers using the vin of a European spec Golf Alltrack. I installed and all went well, but the only problem I have no working high beams. I tested the line and found the xenon shutter is functioning and that my headlamps are missing pin 11. There must be a way for the xenon shutter to work on these and I sure would prefer to not have to get new headlamps. Any ideas or suggestions from anyone? Many thanks!

Here are three options I can think of. I would look for a schematic of a European Golf Alltrack. You likely have seen this thread that had a similar issue: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7271609-Golf-VII-Xenon-Retrofit You may want to PM the author to see if he resolved. Of the unused pins, one would think that one is shutter. If you have verified that they are not ground (high resistance between pin and ground) and have sufficient to not result in a short, you could take 12V and see which on activates the shutter.

BrilliantList

Here are three options I can think of. I would look for a schematic of a European Golf Alltrack. You likely have seen this thread that had a similar issue: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7271609-Golf-VII-Xenon-Retrofit You may want to PM the author to see if he resolved. Of the unused pins, one would think that one is shutter. If you have verified that they are not ground (high resistance between pin and ground) and have sufficient to not result in a short, you could take 12V and see which on activates the shutter.

Thank you George! Unfortunately, there are no unused pins that I know of, but I will check each pin to see if each one is wired to its proper function.

Last edited:

Greg607

everybody, ;)

Thank you George for your tutorial. I have a question. I try to do AFS lighting retrofit and I must connect the 2 wires to pins 7 and 17 of the Gateway but my pins are already connected. I don't know how connect my wires as the pins are already connected. Have you any solution ?
In add, there is little place for move and connect the wires. Can i connect them to other place ?

Thank you so much

Last edited:

polyy88

Hi, can someone help me with a problem, I have OE Bi-Xenon, and my high beam is not working at all on my instrument cluster the blue indicator lights up and and also automatic icon for auto high beam but physical no light output only low-beam. I want to test my shouter but I do not know what are the pin's for them I attach a photo from my right headlight plug am hope someone will help me. My car is a Golf Mk7 from 2014.
Thank You!

Attachments

• 20180324_115949.jpg
    20180324_115949.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 2,204

lolmx

hey guys gonna be attempting this retro fit into my gti soon, have headlights on the way and have the afs module. My car has Dcc so it already has the g76 sensor, how would i send that signal to the afs or is that done by the bcm?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
hey guys gonna be attempting this retro fit into my gti soon, have headlights on the way and have the afs module. My car has Dcc so it already has the g76 sensor, how would i send that signal to the afs or is that done by the bcm?

Take a look at the schematic I took the time to draw up to simplify and provide. It shows the connections that need to be made to AFS module. You will see wires going to AFS to headlights, CAN bus, and sensor. On parts list I had a wire harness and where to obtain.

lolmx

Take a look at the schematic I took the time to draw up to simplify and provide. It shows the connections that need to be made to AFS module. You will see wires going to AFS to headlights, CAN bus, and sensor. On parts list I had a wire harness and where to obtain.

yea, i understand the schematic but my question is since my car has DCC the g76 sensor used for headlight leveling is used for the dcc. Do i run another sensor or can i get the signal from some place else in the car? thats the only part im stuck on

Thanks for your help

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
yea, i understand the schematic but my question is since my car has DCC the g76 sensor used for headlight leveling is used for the dcc. Do i run another sensor or can i get the signal from some place else in the car? thats the only part im stuck on

Thanks for your help

Hmm, I see your issue; this is confusing. I looked at the DCC schematic and the level sensor same pins go directly to DCC module. Did not see a parallel path going from level sensor to the AFS module. I could speculate that the CAN bus which is connected to both DCC module and AFS modules provides required data to AFS from DCC; however, the key word is speculation. The HID AFS schematic does not show a difference for DCC equipment. Sorry, not sure what is going on here. Both schematic for DCC and HID show only one left G76 sensor.

If it was me (glad it is not:D), I would proceed with the assumption that AFS is getting required data from sensor through bus and therefore would not hook up wires from level sensor to AFS. It might not work, but it will provide a good data point and should not cause any problems with DCC and AFS modules (by tying them to same signal) or additional work. If that does not work, I would then consider tying the signals together. Think about that long and hard first... I'm spit balling here.

Last edited: