GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB2 Infotainment Conversion into 2018 "S" Models

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Initially, I had a friend at my dealership remove component protection. Since my car already has AppConnect and the appropriate FEC, it was easy to retrieve. However, he was not able to get Voice Commands and Bluetooth working. I had to enlist "Jack" for those to function. The 2018/2019 S/Rabbit radio does not have nor require FEC's for those options, but MIB2 does. If you search my name in the original MIB2 swap thread, written by George Ab, you'll read more about the issues I originally had with FEC's and Component Protection.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Initially, I had a friend at my dealership remove component protection. Since my car already has AppConnect and the appropriate FEC, it was easy to retrieve. However, he was not able to get Voice Commands and Bluetooth working. I had to enlist "Jack" for those to function. The 2018/2019 S/Rabbit radio does not have nor require FEC's for those options, but MIB2 does. If you search my name in the original MIB2 swap thread, written by George Ab, you'll read more about the issues I originally had with FEC's and Component Protection.
Got it! Thanks for the info.

Will a 3Q0035844B "brain" work with an 8" non nav screen?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Got it! Thanks for the info.

Will a 3Q0035844B "brain" work with an 8" non nav screen?

An 844-B is a non-NAV unit, isn't it? That's the appropriate screen for it.

Correct I'm looking for a non-navi unit 5G6-919-605-C screen and wanted to ensure that a 3Q0-035-844-B would indeed work.

Last edited:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Will the USB connection in my 2019 GTI work with the below MIB2 (non-navi) unit that came out of a 2018 VW? I believe the unit was manufactured sometime in December of 2017 and the one I will be installing.

Need to be sure if I would need / not need a Media In Connection Kit as outlined in the DIY.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Will the USB connection in my 2019 GTI work with the below MIB2 (non-navi) unit that came out of a 2018 VW? I believe the unit was manufactured sometime in December of 2017 and the one I will be installing.

Need to be sure if I would need / not need a Media In Connection Kit as outlined in the DIY.

No idea. Try it and find out. The stock 2018 "USB only" port on mine did not work with my MIB2 swap. I have no idea why, but it didn't. I ordered an "AUX/USB" port and harness and it worked fine. That's all the info I can provide.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I'll do just that. Just wondering because I just received all the cables required and now going to coordinate a good time to install it all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
You will use the long white connector and the blue connector along with the wires at pins were you have existing wiring that needs extensions to the MIB2 unit in the glovebox. You will need these parts to add additional wiring to your Quadlock Relocation Harness to make it all work with your car. On the factory Quadlock plug on my car, there were 4 wires in the blue connector that had to be added to the extension harness (2 for the microphone and 2 for the rear view camera), along with 2 CAN BUS wires that come out of the gray connector. These all need to be spliced in with the bits and pieces of wiring and connectors that come with this plug extension harness. Remember….do not cut into the factory wiring. Plug new connectors and splice wires as required AFTER the factory Quadlock. EVERY wire that is in the existing Quadlock, minus the wires from the stock green connector, need to find their way to the new MIB2 unit in the glovebox.

Getting ready to install everything this Wed and reading up / prepping as much beforehand as possible.

When you talk about splicing you don't mean actually cutting into the wire do you? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are referring to here. Have any photos?

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Getting ready to install everything this Wed and reading up / prepping as much beforehand as possible.

When you talk about splicing you don't mean actually cutting into the wire do you? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are referring to here. Have any photos?

You need to splice into your extension harness you are building, you don't splice into anything on the car from the factory. Just lay it out on a bench and you'll figure out which wires need to be extended and where they go.

Last edited:

a3golfer

How is this work going and what parts did you end up getting for the brains and the display? It looks like you had purchased the 3Q0035844B MIB2 unit.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
You need to splice into your extension harness you are building, you don't splice into anything on the car from the factory. Just lay it out on a bench and you'll figure out which wires need to be extended and where they go.

Alright I'll do that and lay it all out before taking the plunge!

How is this work going and what parts did you end up getting for the brains and the display? It looks like you had purchased the 3Q0035844B MIB2 unit.

MIB2 I picked up came out of a 2018 Atlas (I hope it has the GTI MK7.5 refresh graphics!) - 3Q0-035-844-B

Screen - 5G6-919-605-C

Also picked up a like-new Golf-R felt lined glove box.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Great DIY and thanks for the tips and for being a pioneer @stuntnuts

Looks like I have the first American-spec 2019 Rabbit with the MIB2/8" glass screen + HELIX sound upgrade installed. :cool:

Installed everything including a mint condition 2016 Golf R glove box and going to be working with Jack sometime this week to remove CP. Some of my observations and issues I encountered during my install.

1. When I first installed everything I had messed up the CAN cable sequence in the extension harness. When plugged in the MIB2 unit allowed me to use all the functions on the radio without CP kicking in! Android Auto worked as well - believe it or not. But because the stock USB Android Auto cable in the dash is way to short I've had to order a longer extension cable as the OP recommended we do. I'm wondering if once CP is removed Android Auto will work with my existing factory USB plug in the lower tray? I'll take a chance and hope it does once my longer cable arrives, and if not, I'll just source a new USB part on AliExpress or something.

2. Now my only minor gripe and just a little OCD of mine is the used screen I picked up on Ebay off a wrecked 2018 Atlas has some slight fading/washing out. The screen is flawless with zero scratches or cosmetic blemishes and looks new. The fading/washing out effects the lower right corner that bleeds into the middle lower portion. Now If I press gently on the frame the washed out screen comes and goes. I suspect it may have to do with the clips holding the radio in place... Can be adjusted? Looking at the images I took prior to installing the screen looked fine with no washing out. My guess is that because the unit is used and the clips has been fooled around with the screen has some flex to it as installed. I may mess around with it or just try and return it for a replacement (purchased back in mid-August). Anyone encounter this? :(

Testing - No washing out of screen

Installed - Screen wash out noticeble

3. Because the MIB2 came out of an Atlas there are 5F coding functions I need to code. Question is do I wait until Jack removed CP before coding to look and feel like the GTI skin or is it safe to do this now with VCDS? My rear view camera does not show when in R but the camera engages because I can hear it working. Does CP correct the camera no displaying or is that simply just 5F module coding?

4. @stuntnuts can you please post your 5F module coding? I want to use your coding as a baseline for my car with VCDS rather than hunting around and possibly messing something up with the wrong coding options selected.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
quailallstar,

Congratulations! I cannot believe it took a year for someone to actually use this DIY. It's definitely a lot of hurdles to jump over, but in the end, it's totally worth it.

A few comments...

-My screen has the same "wash out" you noticed on yours when I snap it into the 4 clip receivers. It looks great when not snapped into the dash. Its like the dash is slightly wonky, enough to put a bit of pressure on a corner of the screen and wash it out. You get used to it. It may even improve as the dash, screen, and interior warm up while driving.

-My back up camera did not pop up on the screen until Jack did his work.

-I don't think you'll hurt anything if you switch the coding before Jack. I know I messed with mine plenty before Jack.

-Here is some 5F coding for you to use as a baseline.

This is from a stock 2018 GTI Autobahn.

027310020000000051220002001828001F0503F401200505C6

This is Red Theme, GTI start up, Byte 18=00000011

02731202FF0000005122000100182A001F0503F401200505C6

And this is my coding....

Blue Theme, VW logo start up

02731202FF0000005122000100182A001F0500F401200505C6

Keep in mind, I have NAV in my car, so your exact coding could be a bit different. All of the above coding strings are for cars with NAV. I do have Helix, like you do, and that all works fine...

Good luck with getting a date with Jack.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Does anyone have the USA part number for the vent trim for the 8 inch glass? Thanks

When I get home I'll take a look at my vent trim and let you know what the part number is.