GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB2 Infotainment Conversion into 2018 "S" Models

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't know anything about a dual plug deal but I have the single USB-C plug on hand, I believe it's the part number from a 2021 car that had MIB 3.

At some point I plan to try and adapt it to use on MIB II (and 2.5). Don't know what all it's going to take yet, but I do know that it's not plug and play. Unfortunately I've got other things cooking too take care of first.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Btw, All mib3 swap codes can be ordered from VAG Retrofit & Coding, part numbers or brands doesn't matter
Does that mean MIB 3 can be retrofitted now, with the USB-C and wireless App-Connect? And if yes... you got some part numbers, I may know someone that is interested 😬.

Edit: Hmmm, I remember looking at part number 5H0 035 816 but I don't know if that's MIB 3 Standard, High (or Pro, whatever they're calling it). I do recall that it didn't seem to have MOST output. Does that mean it won't work with the digital dash (in the Mk7 I mean, I'm sure Mk8 dash is different)? I have questions now, haha.

Last edited:

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
It doesn't need the most output for the map and can work with the mk7 facelift cockpit. Currently I'm using one in my car (with golf 7 virtual cockpit) but you have to be careful when choosing the part number as there is no convert like mib2 and 2.5 otherwise your map may be Europe and it is totally useless for you.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... I would want a US spec one anyway, I want SiriusXM... that's why I have a new US Spec MIB 2.5 unit coming to me right now, supposed to show up on Monday. F***ing expensive, I wonder if the MIB 3 is about the same price though. I just didn't know it could be done, or that it worked with the Mk7 dash. I could probably return it unopened if I can get the part number for the MIB 3. Does it work with the 9.2" screen?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It doesn't need the most output for the map and can work with the mk7 facelift cockpit. Currently I'm using one in my car (with golf 7 virtual cockpit) but you have to be careful when choosing the part number as there is no convert like mib2 and 2.5 otherwise your map may be Europe and it is totally useless for you.
So I found a scan of a 2021 GTI on Ross Tech... looking at the modules the car has Parking Module, DCC, Lane Assist, ACC, Fender and Lighting package so I assume at least SE if not Autobahn, which should mean MIB 3.

The 5F part number is 3G5 035 842 which is, according to the mostly useless parts.vw.com a "GPS Nav Control Module, Receiver," which only fits the Atlas Cross Sport. I'm not concerned with that, as parts.vw.com does not list any parts for a 2021 GTI, you can select the car there are no breakdowns. I have subsequently found that part number in some other scans that people have posted looking for help with, among other things, road sign recognition. The scan also shows almost all zeros for long coding (like the BCM on those cars) so I assume everything has been moved into adaptations. The scans also show the 8" glass screen.

Anyway... what appears to be MIB 3, part number 3G5 035 842, is cheaper than the MIB 2.5 unit I have coming, 5NA 035 026. Maybe it's because this MIB 3 is not Pro (if that's even a thing anymore). I can't find any other information on this unit. No pictures to confirm connections in the rear, and nothing with PR codes...

Anybody want to ETKA this for me... pleeeaaaaseeee, haha.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
@stuntnuts Just wanted to thank you for posting this DIY up. I definitely would have not taken this on going in blindly but your DIY made it easy. Now I just need to wait for Jack, no luck in getting a hold of him yet.

Some pictures or tips I thought would be worth adding in

1. I couldn't find where to plug the glove box hose (eventually found it but it took a while). Here's a picture of what it looks like. This is taken down in the footwell from the passenger side. As posted in the DIY, it's covered with a little rubber cap,
View attachment 179429

2. I found that removing this big plastic divider piece made it way easier to fish the quad extension harness to the glove box area. It's held by one screw and about 4 plastic trim snaps

View attachment 179430

Done!

View attachment 179431
Do you have the part numbers for the glovebox hose and the temp dial? I want to add these but I can’t find the part numbers anywhere

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have the part numbers for the glovebox hose and the temp dial? I want to add these but I can’t find the part numbers anywhere
I bought a spare glovebox on ebay a few years ago to get the nice felted version to swap in for my non-felted one, and I think it came with the temp dial. If I can find it, it's yours. I might even have the hose but I doubt it.

MBWest

Car(s)
Alltrack
Are there any possible warranty concerns when doing this swap? Obviously VW wouldn't warranty the infotainment that didn't come with the car but, could they claim it attributed to a problem? I have over 40k miles of warranty left on a new-to-me '19 Alltrack and I would hate to lose that.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Are there any possible warranty concerns when doing this swap? Obviously VW wouldn't warranty the infotainment that didn't come with the car but, could they claim it attributed to a problem? I have over 40k miles of warranty left on a new-to-me '19 Alltrack and I would hate to lose that.
No concerns about warranty coverage beyond the unit itself.

MBWest

Car(s)
Alltrack
No concerns about warranty coverage beyond the unit itself.

Thanks for the confirmation.

A big reason for me wanting to do this retrofit is to get Sirius radio back. I travel a lot in desolate areas and the satellite radio is very nice to have. I have a standalone unit now but it doesn't work very well and is very clunky. Where have people been mounting the antenna? Routing it all the way to shark fin seems like quite the task!

brad wagon

Car(s)
2019 GSW 4Mo 6MT S+
I imagine the microphone cable that terminates at the factory quad lock blue connector is a shielded twisted pair cable, and the backup camera cable is RF. Here we are extending these to the glove box with wires that don't offer any resistance to EMI.

For those who have done this, have you gotten any complaints about 'background noise' during phone calls, or noticed any noise in the backup camera image?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't expect you're going to have any problems with that. A little bit of extra length. Looking at some of the extension harnesses, granted the pictures aren't great, it looks like they may have used shielded wire for the extension of that line to the blue connector.

In any case, the camera is only sending video when the emblem is open. So with phone calls, the only potential chance for interference is while you're in reverse. Of course the chance for audio to interfere with video would be 100% of the time you're in reverse. The video quality is good but not good enough that whatever small interference there might be is going to make a real difference, in my opinion.