GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

twig973

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI MK7
Hello!!

I am considering doing the MIB1 -> MIB2 conversion and I am struggling a bit on what to purchase and if this is the right approach, if it will work with my setup, and would love any insights!

— Car: 2015 MK7 GTI Autobahn w/ Nav + Fender Audio
— Current Display + MIB: 5.8” Screen + MIB1

Here’s what I am considering purchasing with links below.

— Display Unit: 5G0919606 F (Link: Display Unit Link)
— MIB2: 3Q0035876B (Link: MIB2 Link)
— Honeycomb Bezel for Screen w/ Buttons: 5GM819728EDAR (Link: Honeycomb Bezel for 8” Screen w/ Buttons)
— USB Connector: 5G0035222E (Link: USB Connector)

**Questions**
— Am I missing any parts or anything? USB Harness Cable?
— Will this all be comptabile given that I have the Fender Audio system?
— Did I overlook anything?

Apologies for the trouble and I appreciate your help in advance!

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
yeah, you need the usb harness. there have been swaps featuring the fender audio system previously that were successful from what i understand (i do not have experience with this).
You will also need the vas5054a cable / dlink cat5-usb setup for whoever does the component protection removal.

twig973

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI MK7
@germanygarage sells the MIB2 unit + display. When I corresponded with him, he advised that he does not sell to GTI owners with Fender audio due to having to change the amplifier under the seat and the additional coding required.

From what I read on this forum, the MIB1 Fender amplifier can work with the MIB2 unit per @GeorgeAB on the first post. Am I understanding this correctly? I just want to make sure before I commit to buying equipment from another forum member, or from GermanyGarage, or going down the eBay path I have listed in post #1,502

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
@germanygarage sells the MIB2 unit + display. When I corresponded with him, he advised that he does not sell to GTI owners with Fender audio due to having to change the amplifier under the seat and the additional coding required.

From what I read on this forum, the MIB1 Fender amplifier can work with the MIB2 unit per @GeorgeAB on the first post. Am I understanding this correctly? I just want to make sure before I commit to buying equipment from another forum member, or from GermanyGarage, or going down the eBay path I have listed in post #1,502
His units are from a Taos (LATAM market I believe) and lack the MOST port necessary for the Fender amp, AID hookup, etc. Personally I'd recommend grabbing a unit off eBay or a junker and working with a remote coder to unlock, program, etc.

twig973

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI MK7
His units are from a Taos (LATAM market I believe) and lack the MOST port necessary for the Fender amp, AID hookup, etc. Personally I'd recommend grabbing a unit off eBay or a junker and working with a remote coder to unlock, program, etc.
Just want to say huge shout out to @bobloblawGTI and @Nuje who has been messaging / texting me on this project. A+ guy :)

Last edited:

Lurchalicious

Ready to race!
If I have a mib2 retrofit in my 2015, and decide to replace the mib2 main unit (Delphi currently- > swapping to harman 3g0) will I need all FECs installed again or simply component protection removed?

arko

Car(s)
Golf 7 GTI
Hello!
I just bought a 3Q0 035 874C unit made by PREH and I am struggling with no sound issue.
I have a 2014 Golf 7 GTI with Fender system. I changed all necessary coding to adjust the amplifier:
5F module: Byte 4 to 00, byte 11 to 02, byte 19 Most = on,
module 47: byte 0: 12
and when I am trying to play the music there's either an "Error: device" error displayed or music player looks like music is being played, but there's no sound. I also found out that I have a "clicking" sound when I am navigating through the menu.
Has anyone any idea what's wrong? Everything with MIB1 worked fine, is the MIB2 unit broken?
I recorded a video how does it look like:
https://streamable.com/rgosyr

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Error device looks like the disc player is broken... will it play radio, or Bluetooth from your phone?

If there was an amp problem, the CD should still show as "playing" even with no sound. That is not to say for sure your amp is okay. But I suspect your CD player is not okay.