GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Screen replacement will not require programming to work, plug and play. You will have a fault in 5F for software version management (if you scan with VCDS/OBDeleven) but it will not impact functionality at all.
Follow the link in Post 2 of this thread to clear it, if you want.

MIB 2.5 is the 9" screen which is not plug and play with MIB 2.

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Would the NAV 8 inch gloss screen (5G6919605B) work with MIB2? Or does it need MIB2.5? Also - would it need reprogramming?
Hello my friend, yes PN# 5G6919605B - 8 inches works with MIB2. The one for MIB2.5 is the 9 inches. if your car is 2016 + it is plug and play! if 2015 and under, then need to change to MIB2, in this case, you will need cabe, USB adaptor, and yes, need to reprograming MIB2, but there are quite a few guys doing that remotly

mkca

Car(s)
Mk7
Successfully activated my MIB2 retrofit! Thanks to @simaservis1108 for doing the component protection & FeC work, and to @Bf2x2 for renting me the tools (both were excellent to work with if you’re looking to do this in Canada). And a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this guide. CarPlay works great!

care to send it to another place in Canada?

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
Well, I've gotten my MIB2 unit installed. Component protection is active, but not for long. I've set up some programming time with @simaservis1108 and everything is ready.

Even with the unit installed with component protection on, it's amazing how much better the MIB2 screen is than the other one. This is going to be quite an upgrade!

VRCex

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello guys.

I tried this to setup my MIB1 Fender amp with my MIB2 components
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...ainment-conversion-part-1.343701/post-7027973

I connected new parts:
screen
5G6 919 605 A
brain
3Q0 035 844 B

But I can't get into the "Green Engineering Menu" because I don't have the "Test Mode" in my Service mode AND I assume that's why I can get connected with Controller 47.

Any input? I'd really appreciate it.

pedroYUL

Car(s)
2015 GSW S
Guys, I was elated to have CP finally removed from my 844B from an Atlas, everything works but not the RVC.

I've checked a million times the long coding for byte 19, bit 4 (have D4), and even tried some adaptations someone suggested in another forum, nothing seems to work. I don't have parking sensors, only KESSY, the RVC swings open, but the screen doesn't even go black, it's as if the infotainment doesn't know the car has gone in reverse (manual trans).

Help please!

...Found it!!!

From this forum post #10
https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/24487/

5F adaptation:
IDE04307-ENG117712-Vehicle function list BAP-VPS_0x0B >not active -

Et voila, a fully functioning low-rvc with a 3Q0 035 844B (MIB2) out from a 2018 Atlas.

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
And we're done! My MIB2 retrofit works flawlessly. Thanks to @simaservis1108 for doing all the coding work on it. He was incredibly patient, and in under 2 hours I was on the road. The MIB2 unit is a HUGE upgrade over MIB1, and if you have the want at all, it's worth every cent.

@simaservis1108 was easy to get ahold of, he communicated regularly, and he didn't charge an arm and a leg. I'm one happy camper right now!

lattmandry

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Hello All,

First time posting here. I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL (w/Nav) that I am looking to convert from MIB1 to MIB2.

I found a 2019 USDM Jetta SEL that is being parted locally and was wondering if anything there would be compatible for my conversion. From what I can tell on parts.vw.com, it looks like the 2019 Jetta SELs get the 5G6919605D 8" glass display and 3Q0035878B for the control module.

The description for the glove box module 3Q0035878B is murky at best. Does anyone know definitively if the control unit will work for my application? I would like to keep factory Nav if possible. Thanks!

Please see the description below:
3Q0035878B
8" display w/o navigation. A stand-alone electronic unit which plays a single CD. All. Composition media from 06/26/2017. CD Player. CTRL UNIT. GPS Navigation Module. Radio Unit with GPS Navigation. RECEIVER.

Fits Alltrack, Atlas, Golf SportWagen, Jetta, Jetta GLI, SportWagen, Tiguan

8" display, w/o navigation. All. Composition media, from 06/26/2017.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
that sounds like what is currently in the MY19 GTI S.

You would have to relocate the harness from back of your mib1 (currently in glovebox) into the center console. I would also recommend reviewing the other mib2 threads that detail this adventure. here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ainment-conversion-into-2018-s-models.359659/ You're basically doing this but in reverse (they're going from the comp media to an mib2, so keep that in mind).

lattmandry

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I came across that thread in previous research and was under the impression that the 2019 GTI S models had the more conventional "all in one" type infotainment system. Wouldn't the 2019 Jetta SEL w/ navigation use the 2 component system (screen and glove box unit) that's pretty standard across the VW line?

lattmandry

Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I guess to rephrase: I can't find clear information on if the Discover Pro media system for the 19-20 Jetta / 18-20 Atlas / 18-19 Tiguan SEL premium is a compatible system to upgrade my 2015 MIB1 Golf to MIB2.

It seems the models I listed above did get the single unit 6.5" "all in one" in lower trims but for the SEL and SEL premium trim I do see the 8" non-nav screen 5G6919605C as well as the 8" w/ nav screen 5G6919605D.

The confusing part is that I only see one control unit listed for both vehicles, 3Q0035878B, that appears to be for a non-nav composition media system. So there's a SEL Premium trim on the MK7 Jetta that offers a 8" Discover pro system w/nav but I can't seem to find what part number the control module is or if it is compatible with our earlier MIB1 Golfs. Thanks to all for the help and insight.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
i read the previous response too quickly and was mistaken. i realize now you correctly pointed out it's a 2-part system with a brain and a display. i have never seen the 878b unit so i wouldn't know exactly. However i will add that if you're swapping out the brain there has been very few cases (if any) of a unit being not compatible with the mk7 platforms.

There have not been issues pulling from jettas/atlas/tiguans thus far from what i've followed.