GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
Hi guys,

I'm having some trouble swapping from the 8" to the 9.2" display in my 7.5 Golf.
My car's a 2018 Aus model, so it came with the MIB2.5 glovebox unit.

Bought the 9.2" display unit and fascia from a wrecked 7.5.
I had assumed that swapping the display would be no problem, since I'd read in a couple of posts that the displays don't have component protection, just the glovebox units.

Connecting the display was straightforward but it doesn't turn on or have the capacitive buttons light up.
OBDeleven shows the 5F module has Component Protection active (U1101).
I have attempted the "Confirmation of installation change" to no avail.

Has anyone else attempted this particular swap that can give me some pointers?
Regarding component protection, is my best option to go to Jack in Poland, or is this something my dealership will do?

Thanks

You will have to swap unit to 5NA or convert 3G0 unit if you have it to 5NA for the 9.2" display to work.

Currently researching the MIB2 swap for my 2015 GTI, we just purchased a 2020 Atlas with the 8” screen & MIB2 last week so curiosity had me pull out the brain from the glovebox to check part number and model.

This is what I have but the P/N comes up no where on Google that I can see. 2GM035844A is it a newer version or still the same ?

That is a MIB2 STD Delphi unit but without navigation.

a3golfer

I have a 2015 GTI SE and I'm in the middle of this upgrade and my backup camera is not working. I worked with someone on Facebook to do the coding and I just have CP removed for now (no additional features/apps enabled).

I'm using the MIB2 head unit (3Q0035844), non-nav 8-inch glass display (5G6919605C), USB media (5G0035222E), still on MIB1 amp (5G0035456) but audio actually working (purchasing MIB2 amp 5Q0035844 just in case).

I've tried a bunch of variations of disabling BAP and enabling RVC but I can't seem to get my factory installed lowline rear view camera (RVC) to come up on the screen. I verified my reverse lights are working, the symbol is lifting and displaying the camera.

I even reinstalled the old hardware to verify that the camera and the connectors are working and it showed up on the MIB1 without a problem. My MIB2 is currently telling me "parkpilot is currently not available" but I've never had the system; I've looked around to see if there is a way to disable that but I can't find an option that will do this. I assume it might be interfering with my reverse camera but I haven't been able to get to a setting to fix this.

I have been looking up different settings to see if I can fix this using my OBDeleven Pro. I can also try to meet up with someone that has VAG-COM if I have to do that to fix this.

Any tips?

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
H
I have a 2015 GTI SE and I'm in the middle of this upgrade and my backup camera is not working. I worked with someone on Facebook to do the coding and I just have CP removed for now (no additional features/apps enabled).

I'm using the MIB2 head unit (3Q0035844), non-nav 8-inch glass display (5G6919605C), USB media (5G0035222E), still on MIB1 amp (5G0035456) but audio actually working (purchasing MIB2 amp 5Q0035844 just in case).

I've tried a bunch of variations of disabling BAP and enabling RVC but I can't seem to get my factory installed lowline rear view camera (RVC) to come up on the screen. I verified my reverse lights are working, the symbol is lifting and displaying the camera.

I even reinstalled the old hardware to verify that the camera and the connectors are working and it showed up on the MIB1 without a problem. My MIB2 is currently telling me "parkpilot is currently not available" but I've never had the system; I've looked around to see if there is a way to disable that but I can't find an option that will do this. I assume it might be interfering with my reverse camera but I haven't been able to get to a setting to fix this.

I have been looking up different settings to see if I can fix this using my OBDeleven Pro. I can also try to meet up with someone that has VAG-COM if I have to do that to fix this.

Any tips?
FYI - when I did the upgrade with similar hardware (except I had the 8” NAV unit on a ‘15 GTI), my backup camera worked while the component protection was on. When dealer removed component protection, it was still working even before coding app connect. I know it doesn’t help you in this case, but figured I’d let you know in case you wanted to rule things out.

c_tietjen

So im curious.... whats the difference between MIB2 and MIB2.5? what benefits do I get? I know 2.5 is required for the 9.2 screen.... anything else? any difference in features if I want the digital gauges at some point?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

Any tips?

First, congratulations on getting as far as you have. My first guess would be that you did not toggle a bit letting your head unit know that you have a rear camera installed. This would mean that the car the new head unit came out of a vehicle that did not have a rear camera and was coded this way. If you kept your original coding (as recommended in the DIY), you could see what is different from the new coding and look there. When this guy did a rear camera retrofit, he mentioned having to toggle a bit, but didn't mention which one. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7567066-Golf-OEM-Rear-View-Camera-Retrofit-Success! I would check, but not really interested in going out in the garage, hooking up Vag-com and searching for what bit it is. Maybe in a day or so. Not sure if on OBDeleven Pro if you can select a bit and then there is a drop down that shows features to change such as "reversing camera installed"?

I have had the "park pilot currently not available" when for some reason my car did not recognize. It has happened a handful of times in the going on six years I have had the car. Cured by a hard reset.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I believe he is referring to the head unit (hold down power for 15-20 seconds until screen blacks out and start up logo comes on).

Yes, that is what I was referring to a reboot.

From this post https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...stallation-vcds-coding-and-other-info.319776/ check that bit 4 of Byte 19 is selected which is rear view camera installed.

"1. Using the VCDS diagnostic device, open the box 5F - Information Electr.
2. Now locate Byte no. 19
3. Mark then bit no. 4"

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf TDI
I've seen a lot of the head units that came from the Atlas out on ebay lately. Will these work with the Golf? I'm just making sure that there won't be a problem because of different features/etc that might mess things up.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I've seen a lot of the head units that came from the Atlas out on ebay lately. Will these work with the Golf? I'm just making sure that there won't be a problem because of different features/etc that might mess things up.
as long as the part # matches the rest of the features can be changed via coding.