GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I finished the retrofit yesterday. Jack was stellar, very patient and professional. I had some trouble finding and installing some of the software he needed (was working on my son's PC as I have a MacBook, and Win 10 is completely foreign to me) but he was more than patient and walked me through everything. There was also an initial misunderstanding on my part, as I thought any VM app will do (so I had installed VirtualBox), but he needed some specific software (VMware Player 14+Teamviewer), so that took some time too to fix.

But after that it took him less that 10min to remove CP, then probably a bit longer than 30min to install all the FeC's (wifi was decent in the garage but still dropped once), then looked for and cleared errors, we checked functionality of everything etc, all in all I spent maybe an hour in the car with the laptop connected via USB to the ODIS device plugged in the car port.

Wow, I now have an NAR 2016 GSW TDI (the car that wasn't meant to be)!

Later Edit: he also asked me to relay a message for him (and I will, even though by now most people have already learned about this). He can't work with the activation keys that people buy; he needs to go into the VW database and look for the activation key assigned to the VIN of the car your retrofitted unit came from, that's the key he buys and re-assigns to your VIN. I suppose that's how he can make AppConnect work for our NAR retrofits.

Last edited:

Ridacx

I finished the retrofit yesterday. Jack was stellar, very patient and professional. I had some trouble finding and installing some of the software he needed (was working on my son's PC as I have a MacBook, and Win 10 is completely foreign to me) but he was more than patient and walked me through everything. There was also an initial misunderstanding on my part, as I thought any VM app will do (so I had installed VirtualBox), but he needed some specific software (VMware Player 14+Teamviewer), so that took some time too to fix.

But after that it took him less that 10min to remove CP, then probably a bit longer than 30min to install all the FeC's (wifi was decent in the garage but still dropped once), then looked for and cleared errors, we checked functionality of everything etc, all in all I spent maybe an hour in the car with the laptop connected via USB to the ODIS device plugged in the car port.

Wow, I now have an NAR 2016 GSW TDI (the car that wasn't meant to be)!

Later Edit: he also asked me to relay a message for him (and I will, even though by now most people have already learned about this). He can't work with the activation keys that people buy; he needs to go into the VW database and look for the activation key assigned to the VIN of the car your retrofitted unit came from, that's the key he buys and re-assigns to your VIN. I suppose that's how he can make AppConnect work for our NAR retrofits.

hi aditud jack charge me 300 euros for CP an coding fecs .. the price include the activation of APP CONNECT and keys or i must buy a key for app connect ?

joaopedro1520

Hey guys. I want to do this retrofit as well but the issue I’m facing is finding the trim for the 8inch screen. At the moment I have the 5,8 screen and the trim is the greyish one that looks like it’s brushed but when looking for the part number 5G1819743D that it’s supposedly for the 8 inch screen all I find is the small one I have. Any help? Isn’t that the correct part number?

Ridacx

Correct. He gets you all the keys (including app connect, DO NOT buy it), all included in his fee.

thanks a lot for the response ;) i order the vas cable and i do this ,just a question is it you who installed odis or it is jack who did it has disctance?

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
thanks a lot for the response ;) i order the vas cable and i do this ,just a question is it you who installed odis or it is jack who did it has disctance?

See my post above: you need a laptop (preferably PC) running VMware Player 14, plus Teamviewer. He'll then instruct you (Skype) in real time on what to do. You basically get in the car with the laptop (make sure you have decent internet connection, preferable one that doesn't drop), plug in the ODIS device in the OBD port, switch ignition on and connect the ODIS device to the laptop via the supplied (comes with the ODIS) USB cable. Then he does everything remotely, while you're still communicating via Skype. At some point he'll prompt you to hold the key fob close to the coil in the steering wheel for a few seconds, and that's that. You just wait in the car for him to finish his thing (including some coding, and clearing of error codes at the end).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Anyone in Europe want an App Connect key, haha... I'm in the US but for the cost of shipping it's yours. It seems I misunderstood this aspect of the upgrade. In any case, scheduled to have everything activated in the next week, can't wait.
Correct. He gets you all the keys (including app connect, DO NOT buy it), all included in his fee.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Had my system programmed by Jack today, nice and simple. As everyone else has said, upgrade is so worth it. I haven't even tried app-connect yet and I'm happy with it. My USB port has been "out for delivery" for 2 days.

Was it work when Jack was available but played around a little when I got home. Anybody know how to change the vehicle type (and/or what to change it to) in order to get the red highlighted interface. Currently it is blue, not sure what variant my unit came from. It also has a "think blue" vehicle page, will see what it shows on my drive to work in the morning since I'm in a TDI.

In any case, extremely happy with the upgrade. Huge thanks to Jack and to everybody that's been posting info/experiences in this thread.