GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

a3golfer

First, congratulations on getting as far as you have. My first guess would be that you did not toggle a bit letting your head unit know that you have a rear camera installed. This would mean that the car the new head unit came out of a vehicle that did not have a rear camera and was coded this way. If you kept your original coding (as recommended in the DIY), you could see what is different from the new coding and look there. When this guy did a rear camera retrofit, he mentioned having to toggle a bit, but didn't mention which one. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7567066-Golf-OEM-Rear-View-Camera-Retrofit-Success! I would check, but not really interested in going out in the garage, hooking up Vag-com and searching for what bit it is. Maybe in a day or so. Not sure if on OBDeleven Pro if you can select a bit and then there is a drop down that shows features to change such as "reversing camera installed"?

I have had the "park pilot currently not available" when for some reason my car did not recognize. It has happened a handful of times in the going on six years I have had the car. Cured by a hard reset.

To my knowledge it's enabled, I've attached the screenshots from OBDeleven. EDIT: And I did go back and check my old code byte by byte, there are some differences that aren't accepted but I was able to get most things working like the GTI logo on the startup screen (and the correct car in the menu).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-132847_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-132847_OBDeleven.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Screenshot_20200626-132626_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-132626_OBDeleven.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_20200626-132549_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-132549_OBDeleven.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 190

a3golfer

mattcony

Quick check on this before I start my project, I have all the parts (6.5" screen, MIB2 units, USB cable & VAS programmer) BEFORE I pull my old MIB1 hardware is there anything I should take a record of in advance I have VAGCOM available if needed.

Doing a 2015 GTI with Fender MIB1 to MIB 2 swap & keeping the Fender amp

Just want to make sure I have everything all sorted before I make contact with Jack for the remote session.

Thanks

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Good idea to pull for coding and adaptation map of 5F - Infotainment before doing anything. It's worth it to pull coding and adaptation map of every module in the car anyway that way you can at least get it back to working with your old equipment if something new doesn't work.

Jack is pretty good about asking the necessary questions to get most things working. When he did mind he asked about things like fender audio and reverse camera. But if you have a record of your original coding and adaptations you can always make any minor changes that are necessary after the retrofit.

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
Just finished my retrofit, changing the screen and snaking the wires took all of 2 hours maximum from start to finish. Coding was a pain to do by myself and my reverse camera would not work at all.

Set an appointment up with jack at 4 am eastern, 10 am CET where he is. Took about an hour to download all the files and install everything, cp removal tool roughly 40 min and then activating app connect took all of 4 minutes. He coded the fender MIB1 amp to work with MIB2 (I'm not even sure I have the am bc I have a sportwagen and I also don't know how to check that it is working). We had an issue with an SD Card but using a different one worked perfectly. Very patient and helpful. In the end I have all the modes enabled (app connect, blue trainer, sport mode, etc) and reverse camera works perfectly. All for $200 euros for the non nav unit which worked out to be $240 with PayPal fees and conversion rates.

I rented the 5054a and DUBe100 from sprinks and he was awesome with very fast shipping. And he is very affordable to rent it from.

This was using the 844B unit from an atlas and the 6.5 inch screen and the USB port from AliExpress on my 15' golf sportwagen tdi SE

I do have a dube100 for sale if someone would like to purchase it (not the one I rented I bought one because I initially planned on buying my own 5054a)

mattcony

Good idea to pull for coding and adaptation map of 5F - Infotainment before doing anything. It's worth it to pull coding and adaptation map of every module in the car anyway that way you can at least get it back to working with your old equipment if something new doesn't work.

Jack is pretty good about asking the necessary questions to get most things working. When he did mind he asked about things like fender audio and reverse camera. But if you have a record of your original coding and adaptations you can always make any minor changes that are necessary after the retrofit.

Thanks very much for the info, ill get this done before hand

mattcony

Just finished my retrofit, changing the screen and snaking the wires took all of 2 hours maximum from start to finish. Coding was a pain to do by myself and my reverse camera would not work at all.

Set an appointment up with jack at 4 am eastern, 10 am CET where he is. Took about an hour to download all the files and install everything, cp removal tool roughly 40 min and then activating app connect took all of 4 minutes. He coded the fender MIB1 amp to work with MIB2 (I'm not even sure I have the am bc I have a sportwagen and I also don't know how to check that it is working). We had an issue with an SD Card but using a different one worked perfectly. Very patient and helpful. In the end I have all the modes enabled (app connect, blue trainer, sport mode, etc) and reverse camera works perfectly. All for $200 euros for the non nav unit which worked out to be $240 with PayPal fees and conversion rates.

I rented the 5054a and DUBe100 from sprinks and he was awesome with very fast shipping. And he is very affordable to rent it from.

This was using the 844B unit from an atlas and the 6.5 inch screen and the USB port from AliExpress on my 15' golf sportwagen tdi SE

I do have a dube100 for sale if someone would like to purchase it (not the one I rented I bought one because I initially planned on buying my own 5054a)

Really good write up and almost identical to me, my unit is from an Atlas also (non nav), wish I could have found an 5054a cable to rent. Bought one now in the end.

Why the DUBe100 - what does he do with this, connect to the MIBII or for your laptop ?

Thanks Matt

LHW

Car(s)
GOLF MK7R
Hi all , need some help. Just did a swap from mib1 to mib2 and now my OPS is not showing on screen, there is the reverse sound when engage but no OPS.

Also my performance counter showing the temperature is always showing at 50
😩😩😩

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
I have one set of the USB/aux port and the necessary wires for the retrofit in hand willing to ship from New York if anyone needs it. For this I'm looking to get $100 shipped and it will be in your hands with a flat rate envelops which is 1-3 days typically in the U.S.

I know you can order them on AliExpress cheaper however this one I ordered back in April and it was just delivered today so I'm sure it will take an equally long time to ship aswell.

This is the necessary part 5G0035222E

mattcony

I have one set of the USB/aux port and the necessary wires for the retrofit in hand willing to ship from New York if anyone needs it. For this I'm looking to get $100 shipped and it will be in your hands with a flat rate envelops which is 1-3 days typically in the U.S.

I know you can order them on AliExpress cheaper however this one I ordered back in April and it was just delivered today so I'm sure it will take an equally long time to ship aswell.

This is the necessary part 5G0035222E

Hi, Ill take it from you. I'm in the same boat as you order mine months ago. It made it to NYC for last mile carrier delivery and has been missing for over 2 weeks now. Ill put mine up if it ever arrives.

Can Paypal?

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, Ill take it from you. I'm in the same boat as you order mine months ago. It made it to NYC for last mile carrier delivery and has been missing for over 2 weeks now. Ill put mine up if it ever arrives.

Can Paypal?

Sorry I already sold it! I completely forgot I listed it on here