GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
For anyone else attempting this from a Japanese import...

I swapped my MIB1 MHIG Discover Pro screen and head unit for a MST2 Delphi 8" screen and head unit (Discover media).
I had a hard stopping moment when I realised I had three fakra connectors on the back of my old unit, only two on my new one and only one fitted 😮
I initially tried it with just the yellow cable and got no screen so spent ages googling to no avail... Except by this point from the shape I'd worked out the pink one was the LVDS connection hence no screen.
I had to shave a bit off the fakra connector to the back of the screen (well documented) so wondered if I had to do the same to the head unit but a) the colour of the one I shaved on the back of the screen didn't match either of the two left over (Green/Grey) so more googling... got nowhere.
I knew one might be the "TV Tuner" so offered up both to the pink connector and the grey one came closest, again only requiring one pokey out bit to be shaved off.
Proceeded with a knife, got it to fit and hey presto screen came on and my heart rate dropped about a 100 beats a minute.

For comparison back of head units as below, Jap unit at bottom, MST2 Delphi UK unit on top.
The black connector is for DAB so have a cheap Amazon aerial on the way.

Looking ok so far, bit of clearing up and some coding I think.
Currently reverse camera no longer works.
I think it's complaining about the TV module.
Wired USB/Carplay not working, have the correct module but I'm sure I need to activate something as it was the MMI unit before.

So far loving the screen and 95% of it worked straight away.

IMG_7303.jpg

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
It's been a long journey but I'm almost done my MIB2 retrofit on my Canadian NAR 2015 GTI Autobahn. Either opportune timing, or just plain luck (ebay seller sold it to someone in WA, USA who sold his GTI before being able to install it and got us in touch, thanks @rrador I believe), I had a chance to get a Hacked 3G0 035 047 head unit to stick to NAR parts for radio compatibility and Discover pro for future AID install (maps on dash and center console).

So what I've learned, yes there is indeed a unit that will not work with the MIB1 fender amp. It seems to be the NAR Discover Pro unit. Not sure why, possibly the files used to do the Hack are from files from ROW units and the slight differences in the units causes it not to recognize the MIB1 fender amp? Just thoughts floating in my head but ROW Harman 3G0 035 0## units have worked with success since EZT retrofit kits uses these. MIB2_STD (3G0 035 8##) units for sure work with the MIB1 fender amp as far as all the retrofits members have shared seem to state.

Major thanks to @simaservis1108 for troubleshooting and confirming amp could not be made to work from what we currently know.

Maybe it will be figured out before the last '15 GTI retrofit gets completed... but not for me. But thank goodness for Aliexpress, brand new OEM 5Q0 035 456A for $322 CAD shipped and it came in 14 days.

So one thing that might be of interest for anyone who still has MDI connectors doing this retrofit. I opted not to abandon the old cable nor did I pull the harness that came with new USB/Aux port. The green connector can be reused, and if you have a de-pinning tool, you can reuse the can-bus cables associated to the MDI port by popping out the cables from the TE 1534101-1 connector that plugged into your old 5G0 035 222A. You can save money by not buying the harness but you still need to buy a 2pin and 4 pin connector. The yellow and green highlights are the individual cables needed to make the USB/AUX work. The rest can be abandoned.

View attachment 220321 View attachment 220304 View attachment 220322

For the two pin connector for USB power (red & shiny black) above the green connector, I used Audi part 4B0 972 623 and shaved off the surround to fit. Accepts the same size pin terminals extracted from the TE 1534101-1 connector.

View attachment 220300View attachment 220301View attachment 220302

Your wiring to the AUX in port (brown, yellow, green, dull black) will need to either reuse the connector that came with your USB/Aux harness or bought separately (connector PN TBD)

View attachment 220303

I am almost done, just need to get the CP removed from the Amp and I'm good to go.

For those who planning to buy all the remote tools:
- D-Link DUB-E100 you can find these days won't work because they use the Realtek 8152B modem. Finding one with an ASIX chipset is essentially impossible.
- But shopping for ASIX AX88772 you'll find other compatible USB ethernet adapters. I was recommended the uGreen USB ethernet adapter P/N:20254 which you can get from Amazon quite quickly. Edit2: As is, the uGreen adapter will not work, some changes to the firmware will need to be done. Sima will do it remotely.
- The 5054A clone that I bought from Aliexpress is still active for those who want to buy your own unit. Aliexpress 5054A. Mine will soon be going up for sale once all is done or for rent if there is still a demand in Canada for this. (shipping from our friends in the USA is not really cost effective and the losses on exchange rates for exchanging deposits is just a waste).

After all that... I finally got what I was looking for... keeping the radio/bluetooth on after shutting off the ignition!!! I truly find it weird that Kessy ALL (EDIT: just read the owners manual, there's no accessory position on the ignition switch??? really???) models do not have a true accessory mode. Pressing Start/Stop without brake should have cycled through accessory-->systems on-->off. Running the car stalled, or hitting the radio power button in which the radio stays off until you manually turn it on on the next ignition just seems like a half baked solution. Oh, and that Android auto stuff is nice too I guess 😆.

(EDIT: as a teenager I drove my dad's 1989 Mercury Sable (Ford Taurus equivalent) and as a poor grad a 2004 Toyota Echo, Ford did the notch behind off for accessory, while the Echo used the notch between Off and On for accessory. I guess VW with MIB1 figured you should get your ass out as soon as you're finish driving. :ROFLMAO:. I liked the Toyota implementation best since you could turn off the engine into accessory mode without interruption to what you were listening to)

EDIT2: Finished the upgrade, shoutout again to @simaservis1108 another happy customer. Got everything in order super quick. A few things to make sure things go as smoothly. Unless your wifi is great all the way to your garage/driveway, in addition to TeamViewer, download latest version of VMWare workstation Pro, and debian-live-10.10.0-amd64-gnome ISO operating system. definitely want to get 3GB of downloads out of the way with as good of a network connection as possible.

Seeking some help getting my USB port live...
As above, coming from a Japanese import with the "MEDIA IN" MMI port 5G0035222A, I swapped this for the 5G0035222E USB port/Aux in. The green Fakra connector was a straight swap, currently I've not added the black/red wire to the top for power but assumed it would work without this for now?

At the moment I can't get it to pick up Carplay, code in head unit there, I can see CarPlay on the screen.
It doesn't seem to recognise it as a USB port as I tried formatting an 8gb USB drive as Fat32, copying two MP3s to the root of the drive but in 'Media' I can see USB but it's greyed out.
I have applied the following:-

5F → Adaptations → Interface for external media, activation → Connection 1 Activated, all others Not activated
Byte 19 USB is set to Usb ipod

I'm assuming the green fakra port is just plug and play like above from MMI to USB/Aux in?

Any ideas?
Do I need to run a new wiring harness, I didn;t think so?
CarPlay was the main reason I did this whole upgrade 😒

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Spod You have byte 19 set to USB iPod or USB iPhone?

I'm not entirely clear of what you're trying to do? Are you trying to get carplay to work or trying to play media from the USB drive?

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
@Spod You have byte 19 set to USB iPod or USB iPhone?

I'm not entirely clear of what you're trying to do? Are you trying to get carplay to work or trying to play media from the USB drive?
@Cuzoe Ultimately I just want Carplay to work from me plugging my iPhone in the USB port.
I was just testing a USB drive to see if the car could recognise 'something' plugged into the port and it doesn't seem to.
From memory the adaptation for byte 19 says USB iPod, there is no "USB iPhone" in the list of four to choose.

2020tsi

Car(s)
2020 Golf TSI
Anyone out there renting a VAS5054? DC area would be perfect but any rental opportunity would be great. Just installed a mib2 and 8" screen in my 2020 TSI, just need to remove CP and make a few tweaks, like activating the rear camera.

Spod

Car(s)
2014 1.4Tsi ACT
Ok got CarPlay working, I was just being an idiot...
I didn't have the connector for the earth and +5V connected up yet. Didn't have the part (was on order) and never really keen on having the phone on charge all the time but assumed it would work with only the data connections wired up.
Audi part 4B0 972 623 came today and I hacked it about to make it fit in the existing Fakra connector and hey presto CarPlay went hello!

jcarr

Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Another MIB1 -> MIB2 retrofit here where the rear view camera (RVC) stopped functioning. Emblem moves to bring camera into position when in reverse, but screen does not change (current display stays, does not go black).

2015 GTI Autobahn w Fender audio. Added 3G0919605H 6.5" screen, 3Q0035844B head unit & 5Q0035726J USB port.

I've checked the 5F byte 19 setting & the IDE04307-ENG117712-Vehicle function list BAP-VPS_0x0B adaptation is (as far as I can tell) not active.

Any other thoughts? Newbie here, grasping at straws.

Thanks!