GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY- how to remove/replace start stop switch

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
good news - I was able to take each switch apart and use the connector from my old switch and the button from the new switch..works great! I think the new button is slightly smaller, but not a big deal and saves me from having to buy another one

bad news - for some reason I peeled the badgskins protector off of the new swtich after I put it on last night. I think my logic was maybe I can reuse it on the original broken switch temporarily, but it was ruined when I peeled it off. Then today I applied the second protector to the new switch now that it works, but completely botched the job. had to take it off lol. so the switch works but is not protected. oh well

Crackness1

Ready to race!
bad news - for some reason I peeled the badgskins protector off of the new swtich after I put it on last night. I think my logic was maybe I can reuse it on the original broken switch temporarily, but it was ruined when I peeled it off. Then today I applied the second protector to the new switch now that it works, but completely botched the job...

If it helps, I bought / installed the same badgeskins protector right around when I bought my car in september of 2016, and it's held up wonderfully. No funky discolorations, looks like stock.

I would say worth at least twice what I paid.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Really? Wow I would have never guessed it

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Yeah, that P/N is for the usual silver button.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Bummer....

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
I made a DIY video. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I've been annoyed with it for years. Took 2 minutes to swap the buttons out. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 20200807_145702.jpg
    20200807_145702.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 648

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Thank you! I've been annoyed with it for years. Took 2 minutes to swap the buttons out. Worked like a charm.
So is your issue where it used to start by tapping the button quick, but now you have to hold it? That’s what I’m having. It started 4 days ago randomly

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
So is your issue where it used to start by tapping the button quick, but now you have to hold it? That’s what I’m having. It started 4 days ago randomly
I would have to do several long presses with break engaged. Out of frustration I would tap the button. It didn't do anything. Now that I replaced the button I simply press it with brake engaged and it starts right up. There isn't a trick to starting the car. It should just work. My remedy for button replacement fired her right up.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Same issue I’m having. I ordered a new switch.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
My button is peeling as well. Driving me nuts. I’d like to replace it too. I have a 2015 where are u guys ordering it from eBay? Or the stealership