GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Hidden Cobb AccessPort Mount

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Hidden Cobb AccessPort Mount

1. You can use strong store bought magnets but they have to be very strong. I used the magnets out of a failed hard drive. I originally used only one of the hard drive magnets but it wasn't strong enough so I doubled them up.

2. Pull the trim piece above the steering wheel column and trim the back to allow magnet to sit flush.

3. Install magnets with some aluminum tape. But you could glue it in or just wedge it with foam. So long it rests flat on the trim when installed.

4. Re-install the trim. *You probably could do the same thing on the left side but I'm right handed.

Last edited:

m0sh

This is awesome. I'll have to try this myself!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The problem I have isn't a mount, but the damn 6' cable. Why can't I get one like 18" - 24"?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Hidden Cobb AccessPort Mount

1. You can use strong store bought magnets but they have to be very strong. I used the magnets out of a failed hard drive. I originally used only one of the hard drive magnets but it wasn't strong enough so I doubled them up.

2. Pull the trim piece above the steering wheel column and trim the back to allow magnet to sit flush.

3. Install magnets with some aluminum tape. But you could glue it in or just wedge it with foam. So long it rests flat on the trim when installed.

4. Re-install the trim. *You probably could do the same thing on the left side but I'm right handed.

That's nice. May do this also, just wish I could dim the AP screen at night. I find it far too bright at times.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was wondering how you got it to sit there after you posted your pic in the other thread. Ingenious. Nicely done.

CRICH77

This is great! Thanks for the post! I have been looking around the dash for a better place to mount this.

A note on the cable, I pulled the excess through the dash underneath the steering column. You can zip tie it out of the way in there.