GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

DIY - HD Clutch Stop - for less than a dollar! for all MQB MK7 Golf 5 and 6MT

MeltedSolid

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
2015 Golf, e36 328i
I also checked recently and my clutch stop is in as good condition as when I first installed it in February. No play or looseness has developed and there are no signs of any deterioration of any kind!

TheKickinSquid

SK - thanks so much for your 'HD MQB Clutch Stop' idea!

It's the first mod I've done to my R, and it definitely made a difference in clutch feel. Prior to coming across this thread I scoured YouTube for a DIY install - no luck on that. So, in order to spread the DIY love I shot a short install vid, with a link to this thread, and posted it on YouTube.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPoELXGfgJk

HOT H2O

Go Kart Champion
I also checked recently and my clutch stop is in as good condition as when I first installed it in February. No play or looseness has developed and there are no signs of any deterioration of any kind!
Perfect! I suspect these style of clutch stops should last the life of the vehicle!

SK - thanks so much for your 'HD MQB Clutch Stop' idea!

It's the first mod I've done to my R, and it definitely made a difference in clutch feel. Prior to coming across this thread I scoured YouTube for a DIY install - no luck on that. So, in order to spread the DIY love I shot a short install vid, with a link to this thread, and posted it on YouTube.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPoELXGfgJk

So honoured to have popped your R's mod-cherry! :p

Just watched your vid - excellent work! I think you captured it well. Yeah getting under there physically is the hardest part, especially if you are like me and not as flexible as you once were haha!

How are you enjoying it so far?!

edit - shared your video on the first page, at the bottom of my first post of this DIY for people to watch as well. Thanks again for sharing!

iflyforfood

Passed Driver's Ed
Necromancing an old thread, but did this mod recently.

You don't need those neoprene washers. Just double up the skid pads (assuming you use the exact same ones OP used) by putting two of them back to back. Takes out exactly the maximum allowable pedal travel while still allowing you to a) be able to start the car and b) have no load on the clutch whatsoever. There's about 3-5mm tolerance left for both a) and b)

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Go Kart Champion
Necromancing an old thread, but did this mod recently.

You don't need those neoprene washers. Just double up the skid pads (assuming you use the exact same ones OP used) by putting two of them back to back. Takes out exactly the maximum allowable pedal travel while still allowing you to a) be able to start the car and b) have no load on the clutch whatsoever. There's about 3-5mm tolerance left for both a) and b)
glad you found this DIY useful! And yes, as I mentioned, one could double up the skid pads, but I found that the use of the washers better enabled the anchor to be kept in place, as well as helped with the 'feel' of the stop.

Cheers!

Tooly

Ready to race!
Did this mod today, went with 4 rubber washers and the clutch feels a lot nicer to engage now. Similar to my wife's Subaru clutch pedal.

Oh and the price of the skids pads has increased at Home Depot! They're now $3.36CDN and the washers are $1.06 each.

GTIjush

Passed Driver's Ed
Just did this mod and loving it. This option seemed more durable and fun to make. Plus it's cheap!

I have extra skid pad things so if anyone in the Austin area needs one, can donate :)

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
So completely new to Golfs; and it's my first car that's a manual. Apologies if this is going to sound completely stupid...

But what does this do exactly? And for someone who has very little experience driving stick how do you think this will help?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

akimmel

Ready to race!
So completely new to Golfs; and it's my first car that's a manual. Apologies if this is going to sound completely stupid...

But what does this do exactly? And for someone who has very little experience driving stick how do you think this will help?

This car has an extra long amount of throw in the clutch pedal, specifically AFTER the point where the clutch disengages when you push it in. So the clutch pedal moves further than is needed to just disengage the clutch from the flywheel. Adding in the thicker clutch stop gets rid of this unnecessary travel and makes it so that the pedal stops moving right after the actual clutch is disengaged. Super easy and cheap mod that gets you to the bite point much faster when lifting your foot.

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
This car has an extra long amount of throw in the clutch pedal, specifically AFTER the point where the clutch disengages when you push it in. So the clutch pedal moves further than is needed to just disengage the clutch from the flywheel. Adding in the thicker clutch stop gets rid of this unnecessary travel and makes it so that the pedal stops moving right after the actual clutch is disengaged. Super easy and cheap mod that gets you to the bite point much faster when lifting your foot.
Looks like I might be stopping at the HD shortly then...

Currently the seat is way to far up for me because of the clutch. It's not uncomfortable but also not exactly comfortable.

akimmel

Ready to race!
Update on having the clutch stop installed since march: checked in on it the other day while detailing the pedals and it seemed to spin more than when I installed it. Took it apart and found that 1. When you tighten down the screw it sucks the wall anchor into the rubber washers. This is probably desirable because it lets the wall anchor tighten against the backside of the hole but I don't like that it wrecked the washer hole 2. The bumper and the wall anchor chemically reacted somehow and turned the gray wall anchor yellow and possibly made it brittle, causing the flat end to crack and 3. The wall anchor split at the point where it's designed to expand. Maybe my screw is too thick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Go Kart Champion
You didn’t follow my instructions haha!

But seriously speaking.. 1) your pad or stop should have a metal insert like the ones described in original post. 2) your screw looks a tad thick while the threads a tad shallow, use a more coarse screw. 3) you need to add shrink tube or even electrical tape around the wall anchor to both secure the anchor and prevent spinning.

I can see why your anchor failed. Right idea, wrong parts. Lemme knowif toubhave any questions or need clarification.

Update on having the clutch stop installed since march: checked in on it the other day while detailing the pedals and it seemed to spin more than when I installed it. Took it apart and found that 1. When you tighten down the screw it sucks the wall anchor into the rubber washers. This is probably desirable because it lets the wall anchor tighten against the backside of the hole but I don't like that it wrecked the washer hole 2. The bumper and the wall anchor chemically reacted somehow and turned the gray wall anchor yellow and possibly made it brittle, causing the flat end to crack and 3. The wall anchor split at the point where it's designed to expand. Maybe my screw is too thick.

akimmel

Ready to race!
I have the same home depot pads with the captive metal washer. If I remember correctly the screw I used was the one included with them but i can't be sure. I'm going to retry with a different wall anchor I guess. And shrink tubing is a good idea, I may try that to get a tighter fit.

uberdot

Go Kart Newbie
Ride
2017 6MT
Surprised you guys could get 4 washers in. Mine wouldn’t start with 3. Is the clutch-in to-start based on engagement or just a device up there. Perhaps VW nerfed this mod on 2017s+?

Last edited:

SuperDuper

Ready to race!
Surprised you guys could get 4 washers in. Mine wouldn’t start with 3. Is the clutch-in to-start based on engagement or just a device up there. Perhaps VW nerfed this mod on 2017s?
I only used 1 washer, and you can't even remove that. 4 washers felt like the clutch was grabbing immediately off the floor.

uberdot

Go Kart Newbie
Ride
2017 6MT
I think some of these clutches grab low in general. This mod helps remove a few mm of guess work that’s for sure. Great stuff!