• IS20 Turbo
  • BMS JB4 (map6@21PSI)
  • 3" Catless Downpipe
  • OEM GTI Catback exhaust
  • Ebay Intake (Injen SP Clone)
  • Golf R Intercooler
  • Boomba Racing BOV spacer
  • Clutch Delay valve Removal
  • Ebay Front mount "Twintercooler" (Forge knockoff)

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes
  • Nuespeed Race Springs
  • 18x8.5 (ET 45) Rotiform LSR (cast 1 piece)
  • 235/40/18 Falken Fk453 tires
  • GTI PP Rear sway bar
  • 034 Dogbone mount

Exterior
  • 20% Window tint
  • OEM GTI rear valance
  • Eds Golf R Rep headlights + hylux 5500k HID kit
  • Folding mirrors (W/ Door modules from Golf R)
  • Black mirror caps
  • Gloss black vinyl front grill chrome strip
  • Shaved rear badges
  • EZ Lip
  • JCSportline JC-XP349 Carbon Fibre rear spoiler
  • USP Hatch Pop Kit
  • MK7.5 LED Tail lights (With JBale harness)
  • Golf R Front Bumper
  • RHO-Plate V2 Tow-hook License plate mount

Interior
  • Euro switch + Light sensor
  • BFI Leather shift knob
  • Interior trim wrapped in 3M Carbon fiber vinyl
  • Badgeskins radio volume knob stickers (no more power button)
  • License plate LEDs
  • OEM Footwell light retrofit (LED)
  • GTI cloth "Clark" plaid interior
  • Felt lined sunglasses holder

OBDEleven Tweaks
  • Gauge Needle Sweep
  • Hatch Pop
  • Mirror Dip
  • Fold mirrors on lock
  • Hot Country AC
  • Heated seat memory
  • Window up/down with remote
  • Enabled ESC Sport mode in Car settings
  • Ignition key/warning off
  • XDS Medium
  • Starting Vibration Reduction

---------------------------------------
I figured I'd make one of these build threads. I keep forgetting some of the stuff I've wasted my money on so this should be a good way to keep track.

I bought my self a 2016 Golf Tsi 1.8t in December. A base model 5 door, in white. It was great value for the money and I couldn't bring my self to spend ~10k more on a GTI (PP).
I test drove both, and honestly the GTI was great but I knew I could live with the Tsi, especially since I was coming from an MK4 VR6. I felt the Tsi was a great platform and lats of room to improve in the future.

About 2 months later, someone hit my car in a parking lot and ran away :mad:
It wasn't too bad, but it was almost $2500 in damages.

All fixed!

At this point I figured I might as well enjoy the car more since it's already been hit and it's all down hill from here. So start the modding!

I started with a set of ADR M-Classic wheels. These were a gift (FREE! :D), but unfortunately the wrong bolt pattern. The wheels are 5x114.3, 18x8.5 and a 73.1 mm hub, and 40 offset.

I got a set of wobble bolts from ebay, and a set of tires 230/45/18 and mounted them. Yikes! Look at that wheel gap!

Noticed the paint peeling from my front bumper, where it meets the drivers side fender. Contacted the dealer, they say VW should cover it. They took some pics, and waiting for a response.

Threw on a set of VWR springs. I used the 2x4 method, it went fairly smoothly. But I overtightened one of the bolts for the upper strut mount on the passenger side and ended up stripping that bolt. Had to get it drilled out and a new upper mount since it was making some noise.

Next, I decided to black out the badges on the rear using plast-dip. Didn't remove them, I just taped up the area and sprayed.

Then did the front grill.

And finally tinted my windows. 20%

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Looked like an suv before the springs. Lol.
Wheels look great.
Why 235/45 & not 235/40? Any rubbing?
What's next?

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Ooops, made a mistake. tires are 235/40/18

As for SUV, I know! Someone actually commented saying it looks like a van. Had to do something right away :p

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Picked up an OEM GTI exhaust and valance. Didn't want a noisy aftermarket, wanted something a bit more subtle, and I liked the way the GTI looks and sounds.

Before:

After:

Overall, I think it sounds great. Very happy with the results. Sounds OEM (obviously), but a little grumbly when pushing.

I also got my OBDEleven and started some tweaks. So far I did:
- Urban Joke V2 tails
- Gauge Needle Sweep
- Hatch Pop (now just need the spring/shock to open)
- Mirror Dip (No memory module, but it returns to an ok spot)
- Hot Country AC
- Heated seat memory
- Window up/down with remote
- Enabled ESC Sport mode in Car settings
- Ignition key/warning off
- XDS Medium

Last edited:

loudmouthbass

Picked up an OEM GTI exhaust and valance. Didn't want a noisy aftermarket, wanted something a bit more subtle, and I liked the way the GTI looks and sounds.

Before:

After:

Overall, I think it sounds great. Very happy with the results. Sounds OEM (obviously), but a little grumbly when pushing.

I also got my OBDEleven and started some tweaks. So far I did:
- Urban Joke V2 tails
- Gauge Needle Sweep
- Hatch Pop (now just need the spring/shock to open)
- Mirror Dip (No memory module, but it returns to an ok spot)
- Hot Country AC
- Heated seat memory
- Window up/down with remote
- Enabled ESC Sport mode in Car settings
- Ignition key/warning off
- XDS Medium

picked up a GTI rear valance and planning on doing the same OEM GTI exhaust on our GSW. How difficult was it to remove and install the stock valance panel and install the GTI panel?

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Very easy. 4 screws, and a lot of clips along the top. Use a screwdriver to push/unclip from behind and it comes off.

The new valance just clips in, use the same screws. However you will need 4 push clips for the ends of the valance since the golf one does not use the holes/come with them.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Looks great!

I thought the XDS settings only applied to the GTI because they have a different diff than we do. Also, can you share your coding for the ECS? I'd like to try it but I haven't found that one yet. Notice any big differences in that mode?

murtaza911

Ready to race!
According to VW's site we do have an XDS diff, the GTI has XDS+, then PP has the LSD.
It didn't complain when I did the change, so I assume it works. I haven't really pushed it to notice much of a difference yet though.

I used an OBDEleven app for the ECS. The ECS sport mode V2. Couldn't get the manual coding to work (it was different form all the instructions I found online)

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Just installed my BoombaRacing BOV adapter.
Sounds great, and gives the car a bit of life. The Golf is just a bit to tame sounding normally.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Got my 034 Dogbone insert installed today, and also removed the clutch delay valve.
I probably should have done these 2 separately so I could feel the difference each makes. But so far I'm loving the transmission feel! Shifting is so much better, the clutch feels better and more consistent. The 1-2 gear shift feels smoother as well. Overall the driving experience has been improved greatly.

Best mods yet!

Here's a picture of the clutch delay valve.

If you want to do it heres the thread on it: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21877

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Installed new auto switch + light sensor. Ordered from Ali express, came here in 3 days and fits and works great.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Just did a DIY clutch stop. Instructions can be found here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...than-a-dollar!-for-all-MQB-MK7-Golf-5-and-6MT.

Overall I don't notice much of a difference. Other than reverse gear, the car feels the same. I guess I just never pushed my clutch down that far any ways.

I also picked up a Golf R intercooler. I'll probably be installing it in the Spring since it's already getting cold here.

And I'll be ordering a JB1 later today as well :).