GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Front Camera upgrade for RVC-HIGH

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
US spec car gets totaled (accident or flood), sold on action, brought to Poland, US-Spec lights needs to be replaced with EU-Spec, so old US-Spec lights land on Allegro for 50% value, bought by someone on US. Cycle of life for Mk7 😉

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Removed the grill (2 screws, 4 locks, couple guiding pins), removed silver badge.
FrontView_01.jpg

Applied template (16mm width, 19.85mm height). Dadge is tilted about ~ 25° from vertical, so if I drill 16mm x 16mm hole, camera would point up.
FrontView_02.jpg

Test-fitted, checked on monitor, glued in place to make sure it's not crooked.
FrontView_03.jpgFrontView_04.jpgFrontView_05.jpg

And this is how it looks. Hole could be cleaner, but not much that I can do about it now.
FrontView_06.jpgFrontView_07.jpg

Last edited:

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Removed the grill (2 screws, 4 locks, couple guiding pins), removed silver badge.
View attachment 267545

Applied template (16mm width, 19.85mm height). Dadge is tilted about ~ 25° from vertical, so if I drill 16mm x 16mm hole, camera would point up.
View attachment 267546

Test-fitted, checked on monitor, glued in place to make sure it's not crooked.
View attachment 267547View attachment 267548View attachment 267549

And this is how it looks. Hole could be cleaner, but not much that I can do about it now.
View attachment 267550View attachment 267551
Dont know if you've seen the emblems on the new arteons and passats. The have the areview cameras mounted in them. Might be worth a look. There is a post on drive2.com about changing the emblems to the newer style on mk7 golfs. Thanks @Reaper1 for the information.

3G7853600CDPJ

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@xabhax old emblems had those cameras as well. I just figure it would be easier/cheaper to drill a hole than to buy the badge which still will require customization to mount the camera and maybe event to be installed in the grill.

Here's part 2 of my work:

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
nice work @mr-fix !

Were you able to get the controller board working for auto switching the front / rear camera inputs to the display unit and the toggle function to switch the sources ?

Im stuck at this point designing my own circuit using arduino pro mini., even after using opto isolators, the relay operation is too noisy making the controller/micro controller really unstable.

Planning to go with a simple relay operated switching circuit with no toggle feature.
20221228_101123.jpg

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
How are you driving the relay coil? Directly from the arduino, or using the arduino to switch a transitor that drives the coil?

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Is the snubber diode internal to the relay?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
@mr-fix

still following. wouldn't it be just easier to get an emblem with the AreaView camera? or the image from the OEM front camera is not as wide as you like?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@mr-fix :hmm........ I'm trying to understand your diagram for selector lever sensor module. Your diagram lines-up nicely with the VW material (thanks for the additional pin-out info)

But, is the signal on the individual wires to the gear position display fully decoded - meaning does each wire contain a separate DC voltage for each of PRND/S states ? Or do the 7 x wires collectively contain some form of digital info - therefore requiring a decoding circuit to produce the forward/reverse signal to switch the cameras?

Don