GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid and Filter Change

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

JonnyTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
@YamR1rider yeah, is not cheaper...a complete washing cycle (with oil and filter) is 350-400 euros.
Pros are that it changes the oil to the last drop

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
So I top filled. It was 4.7 out, I put 4.8 in as I changed the filter.

I’ve had some odd shifting behavior on occasion. Sometimes I feel like it if I let off the gas and then gas it again it catches gear in a weird way and lets me accelerate it’s more jarring than I would like.

I’ve also had the occasional harsh downshift. I don’t hear “DSG noise” unless I am rolling up to a stop in like 2nd and it shifts down to first and I hear hear changing noise.

This has me wondering if more or less fluid could contribute to this behavior.

I want to check my level. I planned to pull the plug tomorrow and see if anything drains. If it doesn’t I would add, if it does I wouldnt. I was going to do this top fill…but I realize car is supposed to be running if I do this.

Anyone have advice on checking the level of the fluid and if I can add fluid via top of I find it’s needs some?

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
For what you propose to do if you insist on top fill, I'd add another half quart or so to ensure a slight over fill before then warming the car to correct temp and the. checking level running.

That being said, so long as you have an adapter attachment and something like a cheap 15 dollar 'slippery pete' or similar fluid pump which can attach to a DSG fluid bottle, it's easier in my opinion to fill from the bottom rather than messing about taking off your battery tray etc if you are not doing a full service just adding a little bit.

Either way, it's easier if you ensure you have a slight overfill and goes without saying make sure you car is level before performing the check.

Last edited:

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
For what you propose to do if you insist on top fill, I'd add another half quart or so to ensure a slight over fill before then warming the car to correct temp and the. checking level running.

That being said, so long as you have an adapter attachment and something like a cheap 15 dollar 'slippery pete' or similar fluid pump which can attach to a DSG fluid bottle, it's easier in my opinion to fill from the bottom rather than messing about taking off your battery tray etc if you are not doing a full service just adding a little bit.

Either way, it's easier if you ensure you have a slight overfill and goes without saying make sure you car is level before performing the check.
Where do you put your level to check that generally? I’m doing this in my driveway which is slightly sloped. I did it on 4 stands in my garage last time which also has a minor slope but I checked with a level as best I could.

It sounds like for the purpose of checking im better off just buying the gravity fill tube and adapter since I wouldn’t be able to start the car to run it until I reinstalled the battery and such

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I just put mine up on all four jackstands (at the pinchwelds) in my garage which is near-level - it only slopes about half inch over 20ft. I don't think there is anywhere to put a level which will be 100% true....on the front or rear door sills near the central pillar is probably your best bet, shows very close to level for mine.

Don't need to bother with gravity fill/rigging a line up higher if you get one of these guys, which you can attach it to your bottle and pump it straight in (its just easier to do everything from the bottom IMO): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTS8N7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Get rid of their plastic end piece, and instead attach your adapter - I've got this set, works great for this (and other euro cars): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4P3PCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You might find it easier to put a plug of some sort on the bottom of the adapter when you screw it in so you can quickly whip the drain plug out and get the adapter in without much loss, then remove that plug and push on the tube for the handpump. Adapter doesn't need to be in tight.

I'd do all that cold, then pull your adapter and go finger tight with your drain plug (quickly get it swapped back as to minimise fluid loss, again). As I say, it should be overfilled slightly (on a change I put in 5l, expecting about 300-400ml to come out between changing over plugs and when setting the level at temp and running). If you think you might not be too deft at swapping those plugs, you could put a bit more in (the actual VW procedure I believe says use 5.5 liters to account for that but if you are fairly quick, 5l is just fine).

ETA: If you got 4.7l out and put 4.8 back in (all measured correctly), it may not be this that is causing your issues. I originally did my car these same top fill method without checking level and all was absolutely fine...but my OCD got the best of me and I just had to get the car up and set the level properly a couple of weeks later. I think I had about 100ml extra in all said and done and as I say didn't make any noticeable difference.

Last edited:

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I just put mine up on all four jackstands (at the pinchwelds) in my garage which is near-level - it only slopes about half inch over 20ft. I don't think there is anywhere to put a level which will be 100% true....on the front or rear door sills near the central pillar is probably your best bet, shows very close to level for mine.

Don't need to bother with gravity fill/rigging a line up higher if you get one of these guys, which you can attach it to your bottle and pump it straight in (its just easier to do everything from the bottom IMO): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTS8N7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Get rid of their plastic end piece, and instead attach your adapter - I've got this set, works great for this (and other euro cars): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R4P3PCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. You might find it easier to put a plug of some sort on the bottom of the adapter when you screw it in so you can quickly whip the drain plug out and get the adapter in without much loss, then remove that plug and push on the tube for the handpump. Adapter doesn't need to be in tight.

I'd do all that cold, then pull your adapter and go finger tight with your drain plug (quickly get it swapped back as to minimise fluid loss, again). As I say, it should be overfilled slightly (on a change I put in 5l, expecting about 300-400ml to come out between changing over plugs and when setting the level at temp and running). If you think you might not be too deft at swapping those plugs, you could put a bit more in (the actual VW procedure I believe says use 5.5 liters to account for that but if you are fairly quick, 5l is just fine).

ETA: If you got 4.7l out and put 4.8 back in (all measured correctly), it may not be this that is causing your issues. I originally did my car these same top fill method without checking level and all was absolutely fine...but my OCD got the best of me and I just had to get the car up and set the level properly a couple of weeks later. I think I had about 100ml extra in all said and done and as I say didn't make any noticeable difference.
Yeah I added the extra .1 for new filter as instructed

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BFWYTV3K/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I grabbed this to do my checking.

Yeah I’ve been blessed with the ole ADHD with some obsessive features so I’m sure that’s helpful here 😂

I’ve heard some say they had issues with Liqui Moly which I used so I have wondered if maybe I need to change to pentosin or something but I’m sure some of that is just hearsay

Last edited:

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
I used to the LiquiMoly too as many others on here have also with no issues.
May just need a relearn then. I used to come home at 10pm and there was nobody on the road so I could drive it like I stole it a little. Now I have a new shift and I’m in traffic both ways lol. Could just be wanting to “go” and I’m needing to “slow”

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
@YamR1rider looks like I was overfull lol. Couldn’t believe how much was coming out when I opened it.

Ran it up to 35c and put more fluid. Plugged at a trickle at 44C 🤘

Shifts feel pretty snappy

edsonmassao

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
Not my intention to jack up an old thread but does anyone have better results with a different DSG fluid? Most popular options here are the VW OEM and Motul Multi DCTF. Liqui Moly produts are still too pricey here.

On the last fluid change I went with VW OEM but was wondering if Motul could be better...

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I doubt you'd notice any difference tbh. My philosophy for all fluids has always been to use the cheapest available which meets the relevant VW standard. Most important thing is to the do the job right and get the level right.