GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Clutch - Help Needed with CV Flange / Axle Cup!

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
Hi all,

Hoping someone with clutch install experience can chime in here.

I’m trying to remove the 6mm Allen head bolt that sits in the axle cup / CV flange on the passenger side. Following DIY tips on this forum I cut the right angle off of 2x 6mm Allen keys I had lying around that come with IKEA furniture (I think this is the issue honestly) and throw it on a 1/4” 6mm socket and 1/4” extensions but it rounds out pretty good in the allen bolt.

I think all I need to do is buy some QUALITY hex keys to use, any thoughts? There is quite a bit of flex in my 1/4” straight extension, but the allen keys are definitely not holding up to the torsional flex. Driver side was easy I was able to use a regular 3/8” drive 6mm Allen no problem, but that passenger side 10 mile pit of hell is something else…

Attachments

• C4A67BA2-01B3-427B-954C-5C832F200FC1.jpeg
    C4A67BA2-01B3-427B-954C-5C832F200FC1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I made the 6mm 1/4” drive out of a standard Allen wrench as well. Didn’t use ikea though, and had no issues with it rounding out. IIRC I had to use 3, 1/4” drive 6” extensions to teach that fastener.

Are you using a ratchet to break the bolt loose or a drill/driver? I would recommend a ratchet if you’re not already so you have more feel.

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
I made the 6mm 1/4” drive out of a standard Allen wrench as well. Didn’t use ikea though, and had no issues with it rounding out. IIRC I had to use 3, 1/4” drive 6” extensions to teach that fastener.

Are you using a ratchet to break the bolt loose or a drill/driver? I would recommend a ratchet if you’re not already so you have more feel.
Thanks for the feedback, def using a ratchet for this, if I used anything else I would’ve went to town on that Allen bolt and might’ve rounded it pretty good (or completely round the IKEA Allen key first) 😭

This was at midnight in my garage running on fumes. It sounds like it’s doable with a better Allen key. I’ll buy a name-brand Allen key to use this morning and go from there.

With that being said, any recs? Husky will be fine or go with Craftsman/Milwaukee?

Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Pretty sure the one I cut to make the tool was a standard craftsman 6mm.

Edit: I used 5minute epoxy to attach it to the 1/4” drive 6mm socket. Just make sure it’s strait.

Working are cars on fumes is a recipe for mistakes. Not saying I don’t work on my car late, just not when I feel there’s nothin g left in the tank.

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
You dodged a bullet by stopping when you did. You absolutely don't want to strip that Allen with an Ikea tool
For sure, it started to round a bit after the 2nd IKEA allen key attempt (LOL), but luckily it came off with ease on the driver side with a trusty Harbor Freight 3/8” drive 6mm allen socket. Wish it was the same on the passenger side 🥲

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
Just wanted to close this loop, I got the passenger axle cup bolt out using a Husky extended 6mm Allen key w/ right angle cut off, but don’t bother removing the axle cup like the driver side. It comes off with the diff which I have hanging between the subframe and engine.

12am again for me so I’m calling it a day before I install the clutch disc backwards!

Attachments

• 88DC1A14-7A2F-4454-BE2F-0D31D2100382.jpeg
    88DC1A14-7A2F-4454-BE2F-0D31D2100382.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
On my first go at this pain the ass mega Allen bolt drama I did the same thing and had to rig up a 1/4” extension with a taped on 1/8” short hex drive 6mm Allen and it was so stressful cause all the flex in the 1/8 section acted as a TQ stick and didn’t want to break the bolt free with ease.

Fast forward to the next time I had to drop the trans and ediff. I ordered this instead and I’ll tell you night and day as that bolt just become another random bolt to remove and install with the impact in a few seconds.

CTA extended driver

DevinMK7

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Sport
On my first go at this pain the ass mega Allen bolt drama I did the same thing and had to rig up a 1/4” extension with a taped on 1/8” short hex drive 6mm Allen and it was so stressful cause all the flex in the 1/8 section acted as a TQ stick and didn’t want to break the bolt free with ease.

Fast forward to the next time I had to drop the trans and ediff. I ordered this instead and I’ll tell you night and day as that bolt just become another random bolt to remove and install with the impact in a few seconds.

CTA extended driver
Haha wish I discovered it sooner! I saw it but couldn’t get it in time for my install this past weekend. Oh well I had to buy an extended ball Allen set as well to get to the 2x 8mm axle heat shield nuts so a hardware trip was inevitable.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I found the video I made when doing this exact step. I was excited to be able to repurpose tools that I wouldn’t normally use.