GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY AND REVIEW OF ED's GOLF R REPLICA HEADLIGHTS

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
I

Does anybody have a guide on what VCDS modification are required to install these lights on a halogen DRL (H15) based car. Things that spring to mind that I think will need changing are;

DRL’s staying on with dipped beam.
Dimming of DRL’s when dipped beam
DRL’s dimming when indicating.

+1

Jones_7r

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm really keen to get some of these, any ideas when they might be available for the UK cars.

I've seen the ones on ebay but nervous about purchasing as Ed has mentioned the issues with them.

I've been pulling together all the information required to install them for when they are hopefully available to the UK guys.

That's exactly what I'm needing to know as well. I'm also in need of some good replica's for my UK Golf but don't want to get any old ones in case of problems.

dudefrom302

any issues with glare?

Have you all experienced any issues with Glare with this product? I too have halogens and would love to swap them out with these. I had an experience with a previous vehicle where I was flashed by oncoming traffic because they thought my high beams were on. When really it was just the LED DRL's that were stock on my jeep cherokee. I'm back in a GTI now and didn't want to have repeat issues if I installed something like these aftermarket.

There are several differences between these lower quality lights, and what I sell.

- the rear cover is a different shape, it is more recantuglar, rather than round.
- the GTI inner light uses a halogen bulb, their cornering light is non-functional, ours uses a LED bulb like OEM, and our cornering light actually works.
- The Golf R version does not have a secondary high beam, like ours. It just uses a halogen reflector housing.
- their adjuster design is also very prone to breakage as well.

The ones sold in this alibaba add are the same as the Winpower lights. The ones on Ebay are also like this. These are the same ones that the Australians have had so many issues with. Eg, over 50% defect rate. Their comments and photos are more realistic of what your going to get.

Also, price is per piece, so you will be paying over $840 for a set shipped with their HID kit. 4 kg listed is the weight of one light....

Also, there is no way you are getting real Philips bulbs at that price. It is also a lie that they are including OSRAM LEDs inside, as they dont actually make them.

I've sold over 25 sets of my lights since the summer, and had one light damaged in shipping, and no other warranty claims. I could have easily sold the ones from Winpower, but decided to sell a better quality product here.

Hey Ed,

Your lights are described as having a bi-xenon primary projector (high and low beam) and then an aux inner projector high beam. Does this mean I have both xenon high beam (bi-xenon), as well as inner halogen high beam?

Thank you for providing these lights :)

-=Nathan

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Hey Ed,

Your lights are described as having a bi-xenon primary projector (high and low beam) and then an aux inner projector high beam. Does this mean I have both xenon high beam (bi-xenon), as well as inner halogen high beam?

Thank you for providing these lights :)

-=Nathan

You have both of them for high beam.

VW Vroom

Passed Driver's Ed
Just installed the same R replicas on my US GTI SE. Compared to halogen output...wow! These are great. Cosmetically, I also like them having the UU DRLs and no red stripe.

And thanks for the DIY, it helped give me the confidence for the install. Though I took bumper off.

Vroom

skruf

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I installed Ed's Golf R replica headlights today together with the Morimoto HID kit. There is only one problem, one of the bulbs won't ignite.
The bulb itself is not the problem, neither is the ballast, as I cross connected them and both ballasts and bulbs work on one side, but not on the other.
Anyone knows what it could be? I am suspecting it might be the wire where you connect the bulb itself to, but I am not sure.
I have sent Ed a message here but I want to hear if anyone has any tips of what the problem could be or if it could be solved without having to replace the kit.

I uploaded a youtube video of the problem here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1yXDKXpFw

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Whomiked

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed mine yearerday but I have a bit of a gap where the light meets the fender. Any tips on closing that?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
So glad the gaps aren't uncommon. My driver's side is pretty darn good, but my passenger's side has a very mild gap (similar to the one in the video). I'm also on the R rep headlights.

Light output is excellent though, and I've had no issues with lights in our ~20*F weather lately. I'll have to look into the lamin-x film for them though, I'd like to keep them nice for a while.

gti_up

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
So glad the gaps aren't uncommon. My driver's side is pretty darn good, but my passenger's side has a very mild gap (similar to the one in the video). I'm also on the R rep headlights.

Light output is excellent though, and I've had no issues with lights in our ~20*F weather lately. I'll have to look into the lamin-x film for them though, I'd like to keep them nice for a while.
This is actually comforting in a way, I seemingly spent forever trying to get my driver's side to line up perfectly before giving up. Passengers side is perfectly flush though.

Are the lights pretty level or will there a lot of adjustments?
I had to lower mine quite a bit.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
This is actually comforting in a way, I seemingly spent forever trying to get my driver's side to line up perfectly before giving up. Passengers side is perfectly flush though.
Yeah, while I think I could get them to be a little more flush, from any reasonable distance they look fine. In my opinion, if you're close enough to the car to notice the minor gap, you'd better be the owner ;) anything more than 3-4 feet away, and you'd have to be really looking for it/picking the car apart. For what I saved over retrofitting OEM or trying to find an SE with all the options I wanted, I'm very pleased with the end result.

I had to lower mine quite a bit.
Out of the box I had to adjust them, but I felt that was to be expected. I generally do 3' tall on a wall from a distance of 25' away, and did not have any issues adjusting as such. I've only had one person flash their lights at me, and I believe that was due to the angle of the hill I was coming up.