Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Shift it to M.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
If you're in manual mode, obviously you can tell what gear you're in! You control the gears.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
If it starts in 2 it should show M2 in manual mode

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I doubt the car starts in 2nd but without the gear indicator you’re relying on you being able to feel it. I also think the pull away delay is designed to work with the start/stop feature so the car doesn’t jerk. I rarely use auto hold but now that I’m tuned it’s pretty abrupt when you press the pedal to take off from a light and not at all smooth like it was stock.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Should be easy for those with VAGCOM or OBDeleven to code the MFD to show the gear in D

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Should be easy for those with VAGCOM or OBDeleven to code the MFD to show the gear in D
Is that a thing? VAGCOM is on my very short list of "mods". Planned to get it anyways to silence the damn soundaktor (I can unplug it but figured I could use the software for other little changes here and there).

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
It's higher than that. The 6spd DSG has shorter gearing than the manual in 6th gear.
Yup and I'd like to see around 2500 rpm at 80. I can't make a big stink about something that's pretty great but it is costing me close to 2 mpg on the highway.

JWTS

Ready to race!
It's not, unfortunately. You need a DSG tune to have the gear displayed in D--this can't be changed via vagcom.

As far as the 6 speed vs 7 speed DSG's, I definitely prefer the stock 7 speed even over a 6 speed with a TCU tune; compared to the stock 6 speed DSG, I find it world's better.

Yeah, it shifts a little smoother, but it seems faster as well. I'm a lifelong manual guy, but I love the 7 speed DSG on my R. As far as the shift points, I don't really get the hand-wringing over it. In D, the shift points are fine most of the time, and when it's not I use the paddles. The nice thing about the 7 speed is that it holds manual mode a bit longer when you use the paddles in D. When you want to go back to auto mode, just hold the paddle when upshifting. I find the hybrid mode (driving around in D, and using the paddles as needed) to be the most enjoyable way to drive the car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nope. Check again next time your out and about. You're off by over 10%. I wish it was around that. It would help mileage quite a bit.

Um I'm in my car ten hours per day so I know what RPM's it turns at 75. Mines an 18 if that makes a difference.

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone who owns an 18gti said their 6spd dsg doesnt autoupshift in 1st or 2nd gear so you can bang on the rev limiter, true or false? This is a big plus over the 7spd if true.

7spd definitely does some clutch riding when taking off from a stop as I could have sworn I noticed the rpms holding steady for a much too long period as the car started accelerating. I do not like how much comfort oriented it is with gear engagement when driving moderately. When you are going full gusto the transmission seems to shift fast enough.

I would have preferred the 6spd personality with the 7 speed ratios.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Someone who owns an 18gti said their 6spd dsg doesnt autoupshift in 1st or 2nd gear so you can bang on the rev limiter, true or false? This is a big plus over the 7spd if true.

7spd definitely does some clutch riding when taking off from a stop as I could have sworn I noticed the rpms holding steady for a much too long period as the car started accelerating. I do not like how much comfort oriented it is with gear engagement when driving moderately. When you are going full gusto the transmission seems to shift fast enough.

I would have preferred the 6spd personality with the 7 speed ratios.

Then you need a tcu tune.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
^ I dont ever remember my '14 GTI with DSG ever holding a gear as it bumped on the redline.

But to me I feel like the 7 speed in sport is the same as the 6 speed in D. Then if you put the 6 speed into S it would be very sporty in that it kept the revs high. I do miss that TBH. On the 7 speed I rarely drive in Normal mode, I generally keep it on custom with everything from sport but soundaktor on eco.

...so while typing out this post I remembered that you slide the shifter into "D" there is "D/S" down there. Does the sport option on the drive mode differ from putting the shifter into "S"? I feel like Ive had an epiphany, lol.

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
...so while typing out this post I remembered that you slide the shifter into "D" there is "D/S" down there. Does the sport option on the drive mode differ from putting the shifter into "S"? I feel like Ive had an epiphany, lol.
The options are not well integrated. For example, if you change in to sport mode while driving, the DSG will go in to S, same with eco, but E. However, if you start the car in sport or custom with
drive system set to sport, it will always start in D, so you will need to pull back the shifter to be in S. As far as I know, the only way to get the DSG to E, is to change the drive mode to Eco. I don't understand why we can't start out in S, but that's the way it is.

JWTS

Ready to race!
I think it's probably a good thing that doesn't start off in S, since (unless you were just driving the car), the fluid isn't up to temp (engine or transmission fluid).

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think it's probably a good thing that doesn't start off in S, since (unless you were just driving the car), the fluid isn't up to temp (engine or transmission fluid).

Good point.